Pregnant and Starting a New Job

Has anyone had experience starting a new job after discovering she's pregnant?
I'm 5.5 weeks pregnant and just started a new job, this week.
To be fair, I informed my new employer that I was undergoing fertility treatments during the interview process. Since my past is checkered with repeat pregnancy losses, and I'm going on 35 (with no children so far), I simply could not afford to stop treatment and wait a few months.

I realize I will not be eligibile for FMLA and will not be covered by short term disability through my new employer. However, given the fact that I alerted them to the possibility prior to accepting the job, I am hoping they will be understanding when I tell them about the pregnancy.

Would love any tips or advice on the best way to go about it, as I'm truly stressing about the whole situation. Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping that because I did tell them about the fertility treatments, their response will be supportive once I tell them. Of course, I agree with all of you about not telling them before I complete the first trimester (which I pray and hope will happen, this time around). For now, I'm trying to show my worth without letting them know anything is up. It's not as easy as it sounds since due to my past, I'm considered a high risk pregnancy, so have doc appointments and ultrasounds weekly. Tuesday we are supposed to be able to see/hear the fetal heartbeat. I'm trying to be hopeful and not stress about it.

Thanks everyone!

Congrats on your pregnancy! First, Relax! Don't talk to your employer about your pregnancy. You are barely in your first trimester and have plenty of time to tell them. Wait to tell them until you are at least out of the 1st trimester and starting the 2nd. The rate of miscarriage goes way down after that-- Enjoy your pregnancy and get into the swing of things at work----Don't stress! Everything will be ok.

M

Hey Congratulations! I am very happy for you. I would do a fantastic job for the next 8 weeks and then let them know about the pregnancy. Hopefully, you will be lucky and not be too sick or tired during the first trimester. Even if you are, just try to make it through and do a great job. It is illegal for them to let you go or anything because of the pregnancy. However, I am sure they will be wondering if you are committed to the job. Just build some credibility and build some relationships there and also get into the second trimester before making an announcement. At that point, let them know you are pregnant, you are thrilled, you will continue to do a great job during the rest of your pregnancy and looking forward to coming back.

With your great track record behind you and a can do attitude, they will be fine about it. Good luck!!

Congratulations! just relax and not let this be something you worry about.

Don't stress & don't say anything till you are at least out of your 1st trimester. Congrats

Don't worry, you will be able to work for a long time during your pregnancy. You were honest before hand and there is no need to make any immediate announcements. Wait until you feel comfortable giving the news to anyone and that includes your new employer.

Congratulations mama to be! I wish your and your husband a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Blessings....

I would wait until you are about 12 weeks along and then talk with your HR person, if you have one. They should be able to give you the details about their policies. States vary in what is available, and so do companies.

Congrats! I started at my current job when I was 10 weeks pregnant. You are eligible for short term disability....or maybe they just made me eligible at my office. I work for a small company that has been very accommodating. I hope that your company shows you the same.

I went through that a few years back. I was 3 months pregnant when I started my new job. I was laid off of my previous job, and my husband's job was in jeopardy. Anyway, somewhere along 6 months pregnant I informed my boss that I was pregnant. They treated me with dignity. I ended up taking off 10 weeks (unpaid, of course), though they did say I could take up to 12. It worked out well.

1 / 3