Pregnant and Sick, What Can I Do??????????

So embarassingly enough I have to ask what I can take when I have diarrhea, its already making me dehydrated so Ive been drinking water but can I take a med to just make it stop. I know the dehydration isnt good for my baby.

I took one imodium instead of two since one every once in a while when it happens wont hurt the baby. I drank lots of water and the dr said as long as i could keep fluids down i'd be fine, but to make sure I dont feel thirsty since that is a bad sign. I'm better for now. :)

BRAT diet is Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Toast for diarhea.

Before you rise from bed eat a couple of crackers & just lay there a few minutes afterwards. Usually will stop the nausea.

Pedialite is not just for kids, get you some!

Hope this helps! :)

What worked for me was the BRAT diet and also drinking pedialyte. My doctor recommended the pedialyte so that I wouldn't get dehydrated.

Immodium was on my safe list when I was pregnant. You just can't take pepto becuase it has aspirin in it. Just keep on drinking the water as well. I wish you both the best. Try to relax, as much as you can, and stay away from greasy high fat foods, they always make me have stomach issues.

Try any thing with ginger in it. Or add fresh ginger to your food. This includes ginger ale, ginger candy drops, ginger tea. God Bless our troups, your education, and your pregnancy.

Ask your doc for a list of meds that are safe for you to take during pregnancy. If I'm not mistaken, my doctor had immodium ad on my list. That would stop the diarreah. Also there is a great site that tells you the different classifications of medications during pregnancy. It is http://www.safefetus.com

Hope you feel better soon!!!

I'd call your Dr and see what they say is safe for you to take...just to be sure :) I think it's wonderful you are still going to school! I got pregnant with my daughter at 18 and was taking pre-req's for RN school at the time and had to drop because I was so severely sick, tried to go back and then she came early..That was 9+ yrs ago and I still haven't been able to go back. It's hard and things might seem impossible some days but you do what you have to do to get through it. Wish you the best!!

I am so sorry for you! There is nothing worse than being sick when pregnant, except maybe being sick while breastfeeding a newborn! But, you will make it through. Honestly, I had lots of experience with this particular ailment while overseas, and the main thing I learned is that your body is trying to get rid of something when it has diahrrea (sp?). Anything that stops the diaherrea just keeps that stuff in your body. The main thing is to stay hydrated and just endure. Water, sprite, gatorade, whatever you are able to drink (except caffiene). If you feel you are getting dehydrated, do call your doctor to get his/her advice.

You should start drinking Gatorade or something else that has electrolytes in it. When you drink water you are getting fluid, but it is not replenishing the sodium in your body. You may also try Gingerale, which helps with nausea. Also try eating/drinking some chicken broth as well as the BRATS diet. As for what to take, I would call your doctor and ask them what you are able to take. I hope that you feel better and hang in there. I am a mother of 4 and my last pregnancy was with twins.

You can take Immodium AD when you are pregnant. It was on the list of safe medications the doctor gave me when I was pregnant. I would call your after hours nurse just to make sure doctor thinks it is o.k. The list said make sure not to take to much because it could cause constipation.

This is the kind of questions you should be asking your OB doctor!! He/She will put you on something that is safe for pregnancy, plus, they need to know if you are at risk for dehydration. If you don't have a doctor, get one!!

1 / 3