Pregnant and Need to Have a Tooth Pulled

Hello all,
I am pregnant and need to have a tooth pulled, my back teeth are in very bad shape and I always put off going to the dentist until I need to go. I know not good. Well now I am pregnant we just entered the second trimester and I was going to have a tooth pulled yesterday but I put it off for two more weeks to be sure we were really in the second trimester. Well of course now I am having a ton of pain in a tooth that I had a root canal in about 4 years ago. I mean a ton of pain tylenol dosn't even lessen the pain. Just want to know if anyone out there has had any kind of dental work while pregnant? What risks there really are with x-ray, and drugs?

I was 8 months pregnant and had a really bad toothache like you are probably having, they did a root canal on it. I was scared but my baby came out fine. They said it's better if you have to have work done to do it in the 2nd vs. 1st or 3rd tri-mester.
The baby will probably be fine and it has to be better than taking all those Tylenol I know they don't work and they don't want you taking Advil. That was so hard on me...

God bless and I pray you feel better soon!

PS - I put off going to the dentist too until I have too

I had to have a root canel when I was pregnant with my first child. You should have no worries. The dentist office can call your OB and find our what medications are ok for pain (most likely vicoden you can take that after child birth for pain). The only thing different is you can't have gas.

The exact thing happened to me in my 2nd trimester! The pain was excruciating, so my dentist did a local anesthetic with a few shots in my gum (they numb it first), so no medication would get to my baby. After he pulled it, I felt a lot better, and it did not affect my daughter at all! She is a completely healthy 21 month old now! As far as x-rays, they just loaded me up with a few lead aprons (layered around my belly especially). :) Private message me if you have any other questions/concerns.

I had tooth pain with my back teeth when was preg and had to get a letter from my doctor saying it ok for the dentist to do the work before he would even touch me. He gave a very low dose anistia and they cover your stomach with a very thick sheild so the x-rays don't harm the baby. My lil monster is 8 months old now and he's just fine. Oh yea if u have more than one tooth that needs to be pull he or she probably want pull them all in the same day maybe 2 weeks later. They dentist really know how to protect your fetus. So don't be scared its a peace of cake.

I totally understand how you feel, but do get your teeth fixed!

When I was younger my father was supposed to pay child support, medical, and dental on my sibs and me, but he never did. Now I have lots of dental work needed and I put it off like you have.

Through my first pregnancy I hurt constantly and had a VERY BAD abcess. My oldest now has no enamel on her back teeth due to the constant high fever I had while they were developing en utero! She and I are so lucky that this is the only issue! (You have a very high chance of going into preterm labor, fortunately I did not...she was actually late). I had a root canal when the baby was 3 months old.

Nowadays the x-rays at most dentists are digital so you're only getting 30% of the x-ray and they cover you with a lead apron. Novacaine is a local anesthetic and will not touch the baby. Get as much dental work started ASAP! You and your baby will be healthier and happier for it!

I have only had regular cleanings, but my dentist has told me that the 2nd trimester is the HEALTHIEST trimester and that is the time she prefers to work on anyone during pregnancy

call your Dentist and talk to them. In the meantime for the pain-go to your pharmacy and get a small bottle of "Oil of Cloves" apply it to the painful area with a q-tip. It is natural and safe. It is just the oil from the seasoning called cloves like you put i pumpkin pie. It is a natural anasthetic. Hope I spelled that right. good luck

I had major dental work while I was pregnant. They can do x-rays and will put something over your stomach to protect the pregnancy. Just make sure to let your dentist know that you're pregnant, obviously.
Also when Tylenol doesn't help use liquor! Don't drink it but swish around in your mouth on the side that hurts and it will numb it. Good luck!

1 / 3