Pregnant and Hands Keep Falling Asleep All the Time!!

Ever since i got pregnant both of my hands have been falling asleep. It started just at night so i started wearing a brace but now it happens during the day. If i drink a cup of tea, typing on the computer, making lunch for my man, i cannot function normally anymore! And it is getting painful too. They also fall asleep at work and i am not sure what to do about it. Has anyone else had this problem??

Get some good B-complex vitamins with lots of B6 in it (lots of companies skimp on the B6 because of the expense). Shaklee is a good brand. At least start taking some plain B6, but it works best in a complete form. B6 works directly to reduce swelling in the wrists/carpal tunnel area.
Eating dark green leafy vegetables will give you some B vitamins.
Also get to a chiropractor ASAP!!!!!
Hope that this resolves soon. Remember that there is no need to just live with this, you can do something to help.

I had the same thing during my 3rd trimester and fortunately, it goes away after a month or so post-partum. Mine was caused from all of the swelling I had putting pressure on the nerves. Like you, it started only at night when I slept and then moved to the day - also started with only one hand, then the next. The only advice I can give is to wear the braces if they help, get a lot of rest and relaxation, and remember that it will eventually go away! Congrats and good luck with your pregnancy!

I experienced the same thing early on in my pregancy. In addition to wearing wrist braces at night, I also did accupuncture. It only took a few weeks of treatment and my symptoms went away. My baby is now 6 months old and I haven't had any problems since before he was born.

Also get to a chiropractor ASAP!!!!!

I did not experience this during my pregnancy, but have heard that it's quite common to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome during pregnancy related to the swelling. I think that for some people it goes away, but for others it does not.

I hope for you that it will go away but if you are faced with having to have Carpal Tunnel Release in the future I know a good doc.

Hello M.~
I had this same trouble. I was diagnosed with carpul tunnel during my pregnancy. This is something that can be onset during pregnancy. I would talk with your ob/gyn about it. It is quite possible.

My hands fall asleep all of the time, but I found out that I have Carpal Tunnel in both hands, which was causing the pain and numbness in my hands. I had mine throughout my pregnancy though and even after, so if yours just started when you got pregnant, I would probably check with your doctor to see if maybe there is a circulation issue or something that would cause the pain and numbness.

Good luck with that and I hope you can get it figured out and remedied before the baby comes, as it is pretty hard to handle an infant with a brace on or when you are in pain from your hands/wrists.

This happened to me during my 3rd trimester. Nothing I did would alleviate the symptoms unfortunatly. THe good news is that it all went away about 5 weeks after my son was born. Now (I am 2 months postpartum) everything is back to normal.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

When I was pregnant the same happened to me. They called it pregnancy induced carpal tunnel. They told me it would go away after my daughter was born but I went on to have bi lateral carpal tunnel surgery. Try wearing the brace all the time or at least when typing.

1 / 3