Pregnant and Ate a Turkey Sandwich Yesterday...

I'm 9 weeks pregnant, and yesterday completely broke down and ate a turkey hoagie while out at a restaurant. I cannot believe I did it....I was with a friend who it 5 months pregnant and she said she's been eating lunch meat her whole pregnancy....I totally avoided eating this my last pregnancy unless I heated it up...I just can't believe I gave in to this craving.....I've had no appetite this time around, everything has been making me so sick, and yesterday that sandwich just sounded so good. But now I'm freaking out....does anyone know if there's a bloodtest I can take to see if everything is ok? I went online and, of course, read about all the horrible things that can happen to a baby in case of listeria (?) contamination....and I just feel sick about it.....I know it was dumb, but does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Well....Thanks, everyone.....I've let go of the worry - and hearing about other people's experiences did help. I am surprised that so many women don't know about the lunch meat thing! It's on nearly every list of 'what not to eat' when pregnant.....and even though the mother may never experience symptoms from listeria, the baby actually could be profoundly affected. I probably won't be eating anymore lunch meats......but I do appreciate most of the ladies' support here!

For those who want more info:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/pregnancy_gateway/infections-li...

Relax..... I honestly thought this was a joke.

Really, get a grip, blame it on hormones. You will be fine.

I had a craving for Taco Bell my first pregnancy, and I think my first son is made up of 50% Taco Bell. If that didn't make him sick and mentally disabled, nothing will. I think it will be fine.

I ate lunch meat my entire pregnancies. chill out and eat! it's not like you're eating raw meat or something.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I honestly thought this post was a joke. I mean seriously? It's lunch meat for goodness sake. I ate it every single day with both of my pregnancies. I never once heard of it making people sick. I never once got sick.
I seriously can't believe what people tell pregnant women these days. I mean, are we all expected to survive off of what? Nothing? Someone told me I couldn't even drink tap water. Ridiculous!
Eat the turkey sandwich and enjoy every single bite of it.

Seriously, you need to calm down! If you're this freaked out about a turkey sandwich, you're going to have a stroke before your baby is 1! I never gave up deli meat, soft cheese or caffeine and have two perfectly healthy boys. Listeria is RARE. You know who else never even considered any of this? All of our mothers! You know who STILL doesn't consider any of this -the rest of the world! Don't worry -it falls under one of those things that CAN happen, but rarely does. If you get sick, call your doctor. Just relax -being stressed over every little thing is far more detrimental to you and your pregnancy. Given all the foods you can get e. coli and salmonella from, you'll paint yourself into eating nothing but Cheerios for the next 7 months if you're not careful!

Ummmm, what's wrong with turkey?? I know that lunch-meat can go bad, but honestly, how often have you gotten food poisioning from lunch meat? Especially if you were at a restaurant...I would think it would be fine. Here's a tip too, if you can see an irridescent sheen on the meat, it's gone bad.

I'm truly very tired of hearing about expectant mothers that are bombarded by worst case scenarios until they are afraid to breathe!! What is wrong with our culture?

Relax and take a deep breath. There's truly no need to freak out and get a blood test over this. Your body is designed to protect that baby. I'm sure everything is FINE!

BTW, I also ate lunch meat through both of my pregnancies and both of my boys are very smart and very healthy!

Best of luck with you new baby!

I read this when I was pregnant. And that you shouldn't eat french fries (not for fat or calories but because of cancer causing agents, ect..). The truth is, if you really tried to follow everything you read in a magazine, you'd never eat!!!! There is always something about something! Relax, take a deep breath and enjoy your sandwich!

What on earth? Did someone tell you that you are forbidden to eat turkey while pregnant? lol Lunch meat from the deli should be avoided to some extent, but it's not forbidden. I think your freaking out is a little silly. Relax.

Dear L.-

I know I shouldn't laugh, as I know this is a serious concern for you, but if we did everything the doctor's told us not to do when we are pregnant, especially when it comes to food, there would be nothing left for us to eat!!

I am pregnant with number three and I have eaten lunch meats during all three pregnancies without heating them up. There are certain things I avoid - the salamis and bolognas - as I think these are "cured" versus actually being cooked or roasted. But turkeys, chickens, some hams, and roast beefs (not too rare, of course) should all be ok.

I think if the place you ate was reputable, has good turn over and the lunch meats are fresh, I would not worry about it at all.

Just the other night, I had a tuna sandwich from Panera. I love their tuna and I just really wanted/needed that sandwich so I treated myself to it.

So, go ahead, induluge and don't stress so much. You know they say that is bad for baby too ;-)

Best of Luck!
~C.

1 / 3