Pregnant and 46 - Murrieta,CA

I just turned 46 and am pretty sure I am pregnant. I have been reading all I can on pregnancy at my age, and am trying to stay positive. I have a 13 year old and 10 year old, both very healthy pregnancies. I know I am considered "high risk" but all the things you here is that I am a very high risk for an abnormal child. I am very healthy and live and eat a healthy life style, I look and feel like I am 35-38... should I be as concerned as what I read?

I feel like I have new friends! your responses were overwhelming in a wonderful way.. thank you so much and i know that this will be a great place for me to make new friends and share this amazing time. You have all blessed me so much.. thank you...and I will keep you posted.

I had a client who was 46 (and her husband was 58) when she became pregnant for the first time! She thought she was starting menopause, but instead she had an unmedicated birth of her beautiful, healthly baby girl.

Don't worry about the statistics ... YOU are NOT a statistic :)

Happy Birthing :)

I would stay healthy and don't stress on it! I was 17 when I had my son and he came out with some disabilites and my daughter that I had when I was 22 also has some developmental delays, it doesn't always matter about age or healthy lifestyle

NOOO Don't worry! I wasted a lot of my pregnancy worrying --when I totally didn't need to.
I got pregnant at 44 delivered at 45 and had a VERY NORMAL everything--even better than normal. I was in great shape, look and act young for my age, --sounds like the same for you...after the amnio, my doc said I was no longer high risk since all was normal. He didn't treat me any different either. He kept asking me "why do you worry so much?", well it was my first and I just did, but that little 16 mo. old totally healthy baby girl I love every day was worth every minute of it. Best of luck to you!

Well if down syndrome is a concern I can tell you all about that. I have a daughter with down syndrome and she is the light of my life and I could not imagine my life without her. God only gives us what we can handle, so have faith and know that every child no what is a gift. Feel free to e-mail me at ____@____.com if you have any more questions.

First of all, you should get a firm confirmation if you are pregnant or not. Even a home test would be a good start. I had my first child at 45 through IVF so I went through all the rigamaroll about "high risk". At your age, it has NOTHING to do with your healthy lifestyle, whether you look younger than you are, your history of previous successful births, etc. The only thing (I reiterate), the ONLY thing that matters is really the age of your eggs. At 46, it is extremely rare to conceive on your own without fertility assistance. But let's assume that you are pregnant. The fact that you can get pregnant at your age is a extremely rare. My fertility doctor told me that the oldest woman on record of having her own child (using her own eggs) without using fertility assistance was 46. So you would be right up there as a record breaker if you are pregnant. Secondly, the rate of which you are at risk for miscarrying is about 50% if not greater. I don't want to sound negative or rude, but that is what the rates are for a woman over 40. Having said all that, you already know the risk of abnormalities associated with older parents. Because I used a donor egg (she was 29), my OB advised me NOT to have the CVS or amnio to test for abnormalities. Doing so at my age, would have been a high risk for losing the baby. And since we paid so much money for all the treatments, the donor fee, etc., I had to take the risk of not performing those tests. So if you are indeed pregnant, and this is your own egg you are using, I would probably proceed with the CVS or amnio testing if and when it gets to that point. But please, do yourself a favor, and get a real pregnancy test done! Good luck.

No, and I say that for several reasons. Yes, your age does put you at higher risk for having a child with Down's but that's a "risk," not a "guarnatee." You can carry this child beautifully through the entire pregnancy and deliver a beautiful, healthy child. Everything can turn out to be just right. This pregnancy is about you and you are not a statistic. It is just too bad that when all of the periodicals, books and news reports do all of this negative reporting, they don't counter balance this info with the positive stuff as well.

The second reason why I do not believe that you should spend another moment being overly concerned about the risks associated with conceiving a child when you are older is because I highly believe that when a woman is pregnant, if she is under an inordinate amount during the pregnancy, it can have a negative impact on the development of fetus. And I believe that there maybe medical studies supporting this as well. Now is the time that you need to be optimistic and keep your cool for you and your baby. Deal with reality, sure, but stay optimistic and hopeful as much as you can. Enjoy your pregnancy, because that's what your child needs from you at this time for his/her development.

Lastly, your child will be your child no matter if he/she has dark straight hair or blonde curly hair, and whether he/she is born with medical issues or is born without any obvious signs of disabilities. Hopefully, you will love that child just the same.

A good friend of mine delivered her first at age 49, and will be delivering twins either at the end of March or the beginning of April at age 54. My suggestion is to keep all your pre-natal appointments, and take all your vitamins, especially the folic acid.

M., in this day and age, we often have much more information at our disposal than we necessarily need. Take everything you read with a grain of salt. Though risks of genetic defects are higher than in younger women, I believe this is only because so many more younger women have babies than older women, and thus the abnormalities stick out like a sore thumb. Plus, I'm convinced that a women who gets pregnant naturally at your age (as opposed to IVF, or other invasive procedures) is pregnant for a reason: because nature (God, or whatever you believe in) has decided it to be in the best interests of all involved.

Keep reading about everything, just to stay informed and educated, but don't assume that you're not going to have a healthy baby, if you are indeed pregnant. Good luck!

My good friend, was 46 when she was pregnant with her 2nd child. She was perfectly fine. Not high-risk, no problems with herself or the baby while pregnant, she worked until she was 2 weeks before her due date, and her baby was fine and healthy and normal. She delivered vaginally, and everything went smoothly.

In her case, she did not opt for an amniocentesis. Just her personal 'fear' of needles.

If you are healthy, and fit and eat healthily... I am sure you will be fine. Just make sure you take your prenatal vitamins.

Go according to your OB/GYN. Nowadays, it is not uncommon to be pregnant at this age. It does not mean you will have problems. But discuss any questions with your Doctor. And the genetic testing.

All the best,
Susan

Honey, I am 47 yrs old and have a 16 yr old and a 3 yr old! Both lovely girls. Listen to me and listen to me carefully...
YOU WILL BE FINE. You think that way, act that way, speak that way, listen to no one who says otherwise, with the exception of an M.D. A REAL M.D. not a P.A. or R. N.
Do all the tests they do. Go in there smiling and demand happy back!
There are things people can say about pregnancies this age, and things they say about pregnancies at 17.
It is different doing it in our 40's that's for sure. There are more physical aches and pains and fatigue as the first years go by. It is trying, but when isnt it? A mommy is a mommy, and if you are a good one you will be just that, again. Patience, my dear friend. Prayer and lots of patience, and you will be elated.

xo

Wendy

Hi M.

I am 46 and have a 2 year old son. He was definitely a surpise at my age and surely a blessing. I have 4 older children...25, 22, 19 & 16. I never expected to have a baby at my age! Like you I was concerned about alot of things. Just continue to take care of yourself, make sure you take your vitamins (folic acid is important) and go to your Dr. Appointments. I was nervous having to see a genetic counselor and to have an Amnio but everything turned out great, he's a healthy 2 year old. Good luck to you and God Bless you.

1 / 3