13 answers

Pregnancy Test Says Negative - Could I Still Be Pregnant?

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 2 years. I have been using an ovulation calendar to help our chances. Now, I am 5 days late with my period and took 2 pregnancy tests, both both came back negative. I have always been like clock work of 28-29 days. The last pregnancy they said my HCG levels were low and took medicine to help out (however, miscarried later). Could it be possible that I just need to wait a couple more days. Has this happened to anyone else?

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Thank you everyone for your positive feedback and advice. It seems my body has changed on me and I began my cycle so I am not pregnant.

Featured Answers

I took eight negative tests (one of those a blood test) and I really was pregnant!!! I knew the whole time that I was. My doctors office laughed because when I left after my negative test, I said that's fine, but I know that I am!! Within a week it showed up positive!!! Granted, most of those eight tests were taken within a weeks time!! Good luck!

More Answers

L., I am 42 also and I am every 25 days. clockwork. in October I was 15 days late. unlike you I DIDNOT want to be prego. I never took a test. But I had a feeling I was not. Sometimes you just have the feeling. I would go to your doctor. They could tell you more. Hope everything goes well.

I took eight negative tests (one of those a blood test) and I really was pregnant!!! I knew the whole time that I was. My doctors office laughed because when I left after my negative test, I said that's fine, but I know that I am!! Within a week it showed up positive!!! Granted, most of those eight tests were taken within a weeks time!! Good luck!

Hi L.,

I understand where you are coming from- my husband and I also took around 2 years and I had one miscarriage before my son. I waited three weeks to test after my missed period (which I still had a lighter than normal one) which then came back positive...my first one came back negative but I knew by the way my body was feeling different that I was pregnant! Now I have a four month old! Best of luck to you. I used ovulation tests as well and finally when my body decided to ovulate I got pregnant! Good luck....I would wait at least a week or more. They say the longer you wait the more accurate it is....with a missed period within the first week there is only a 67% chance of the test being positive when you are pregnant- you just may fall in that 33% it does not work for. Like I mentioned I waited three weeks then it was distinctly positive!

Hi L.,
I'm with you on TTC in my 40s and waiting for my prince before I got married. I had one kid easily at 38 and then it took 3 years before I got pg with DD#2.

Yes, your HCG level could possibly just not be high enough yet.

If you continue having problems and feel at the end of your wits with traditional medicine, I recommend acupuncture. I had 3 acupuncture treatments for infertility and then got pg last July. I continued with a few more treatments because he could help sustain the pregnancy. I went to Dr. Brad Woodle Advanced Sports & Family Chiropractic at 127th and Metcalf in OP, KS. ###-###-####

(I also went to him for chiropractic adjustments throughout my pregnancy, and at the end of it, went to stop the contractions I was having that were keeping me awake at night. I had nothing but success with every issue I asked him to address. He's very knowledgeable, but not so arrogant. I asked him to do some research on stopping the contractions and he said wanted me to come back in a couple of days, after he had the chance to do so.)

So this may sound stupid, but it sounds like you want to get pregnant and you don't have a long time to wait. My Dr. told me to just lay down after sex and relax, take a nap, be comfortable. Specifically, avoid the urge to get up and clean up or pee. This worked quickly for me... of course I went the extra mile and put my legs over my head and all too... Good luck!

Hey- my husband and I have been trying for 4 years! I too have been using an ovulation calendar and doing everything possible to increase our chances! I am now 10 days late, and I took 2 pregnancy tests also, both came back negative. I waited 4 days between them. I have been like clockwork 28 days for the last 11 months, and before that, I'd be off a day or two now and then. About two years ago, I had low levels of progesterone and wasn't ovulating very well, and went on Clomid for 6 months. But that was years ago. Now....everyone is thinking I'm pregnant but I still have doubts. I don't have insurance so I can't go to the doctor for a blood test. Everything I read says just keep testing, about once a week just in case my hcg levels are still rising. But its frustrating!!! If indeed I AM pregnant, I want to start taking all the right steps toward having a child! I hear ya, girl. We'll see what happens. Just gotta keep my mind busy on something else so time passes quickly.....good luck to you!

Well my story is I took a home pregnancy test and it was positive. I started bleeding. Being afraid for the baby, I went to the hospital. They did a test and it was negative. I was so sure I was pregnant, but everyone was thinking by that point I was not. Ended up I was pregnant after all. My son is now 3 years old =) So yes, you can be pregnant and still have a negative test. Just wait another week, if you can be patient enough. It is such an exciting time, I know! Good Luck!

Yes you could very well be pregnant just because the pregnancy tests say you can take as early as your 1st day of missed period or 5 day's before it doesn't work with everyone as you'll find out after reading your posts it measures your HCG levels only occurs when pregnant some women levels remain low enough that it won't the tests won't detect a pregnancy till further along.My last pregnancy I took tests so many times I knew I was pregnant but wanted to make asure before I schedule an appt.And sure enough after 2+ weeks it was positive.Buy the Dollar Tree brand they work just because they are a buck they are the same as the high priced one's.Take another in a day or 2 after a week with still no period you can call your Ob if you want to see if they can order a blood test.

L., I never had the joy of peeing on a stick and getting a positive result!! We tried for 5 years and after doing infertility treatments have 2 wonderful boys, my oldest turned 11 yesterday. I still wish I'd had that experience of finding out at home!! Give it a couple of days. If you go to the doctor ask about a projesterone test to see if you need to supplement in order to retain this pregnancy.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

M.

YES!!! With my last pregnancy I took three tests that were ALL negative and I WAS preggo!! I took one the day I should have started, another a week later and one more the NEXT week! I was frazzled! Then I went to the dr, did blood work and come to find out I was totally pregnant:)! The dr told me that this happens in like 20% of pregnancies (where the urine tests don't show). It didn't happen w/my first though. Just the 2nd. Hope this helps. And I'll be praying for a baby! Good luck!!!

If your period is 5 days late, the pregnancy test SHOULD be positive by now, if you are pregnant.
Which brand are you using? The digital tests are not as sensitive. First Response Early Response is supposed to be the best (Consumer Reports tested several different brands several years ago.)

I would go see a doctor and ask for a blood test.

Unfortunately, they can not give you any medicine to help your HCG levels, they probably gave you progesterone. If you have low progesterone, it's best for you to start taking it immediately after ovulation because low progesterone can cause miscarriage.

If you aren't pregnant, I think that you should definitely see a doctor and ask to be referred to a reproductive endocrinologist.

I had not one but two false negatives with my oldest. The first was a week after I should have started and the second almost two weeks later. Took the third test about 5 days after the second just to be sure that i wasn't pregnant before i called the doc to make an appointment and lo and behold i was preggo. i too have always been regular, so being over 3 weeks late with negative pregnancy tests is kinda freaky. but stressing out about it isn't good for you and could hold off the period if you aren't preggo. and if you are, stress isn't good for you or the baby either. good luck and congrats if you are.

It is possible your pregnant, especially if you have low HCG levels, because that's what the tests read. You can wait a few days and try again, also, the dollar tree (if you have one around you) sells test for $1, they are the best most sensitive ones I've ever used. I compared clear blue easy, the test we give at the clinic I work in and the dollar tree, it showed up positive 2 days before either of the other tests and they're only $1, so you can test every day if you really wanted to. Good luck to you (I've had 3 miscarriages since 10/08, so I know how hard it is)!!

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.