Pregnancy Test Confusion

Yesterday I took a First Response pregnancy test (the kind with the lines) at 15 days past ovulation and there was clearly a second line. It was very very faint, but even if you step back from it there is a second line. Today I took another one, thinking that since it's 24 hours later the second line should get darker. But it got fainter. On the test taken today the second line is so faint that if you step back or don't look in clear day light you could miss it. Does anyone know what this means?

Well I waited a day then took two tests today. One first thing in the morning and one at after coming home from work. Both were clearly negative. But now that I've seen what a negative test looks like I can see that the test I took on Friday morning was clearly positive. So apparently I had a "chemical" pregnancy or I miscarried. Or as the nurse at my OB's office said - it was a false positive. Though from all my reading on the Internet there is no such thing as a false positive. I don't know what to think. But... the nurse told me to stop the progesterone and that I'd get my period in a few days. Then - on to Clomid next month. I hope that is the right thing to do! I have read that Clomid is very successful in treating luteal phase defect.

Hi D.,
I had the same problem when I was pregnant with my daughter so I went back to the store and bought a test that says "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant" in the window. That way there was no mistaking the result. Good Luck!

I had a very similar experience last year. I took several tests and although the lines showed up on each test they were all very light. My doctor ordered HCG testing (blood tests) and unfortunitly she determined I had a "chemical pregnancy" and would miscarry. About a week later I did miscarry. But, with that being said I got pregnant very soon after and had a healthy baby last May. Best of luck to you!!

With both my pregnancies, the line was very faint, it actually didn't even show up until the next day. I would say that you are pregnant, it's just early. It took about a week before the line started to get more visible. Good luck!!

A friend of mine had a similar problem. She took one in the morning that said she was pregnant. Then took one again the next evening that said she was not. As it turns out she was pregnant and the reason for the confusion is because the pregnancy hormone is the strongest in the morning. You might try again in the morning when you first get up and see what happens. Good Luck!

Hello D.,
I'm 39, almost 40 and I can really relate to fertility concerns. I've had 3 miscarriages, fortunately I do have a 23 month old toddler that is my blessing. The first time I got pregnant I had your same experience. The test showed a line then the line began to fade. I miscarried at 5.5 weeks. It was so mild that if I weren't so darned determined to get pregnant I would have never differentiated it from a period. I'm not saying that you are not pregnant but you may be experiencing an early miscarriage (or not). Pregnancy tests determine the level of HCG (pregnancy hormone) we are producing and when we first get pregnant it continues to double and triple exponentially every 24 to 48 hours. So the line should be just as dark or even darker each day. When we miscarry are bodies send the single to our ovary to stop producing this hormone because the pregnancy was not viable. Miscarriage is so incredibly common, approximately 1 in 4 or more pregnancies. My OB/GYN indicates that out of every 20 pregancies he see each month a minimum of 5 to 6 miscarry. I'm sorry to shed this perspective on your situation, but it is important for you to know that if you do miscarry that you are not alone, it's nothing that you have done and you can still become pregnant. I've tried Clomid and my advice would be to skip it and go straight to injectibles or IVF. I wish success in your dream to have a child.

Any second line, no matter how faint, is a positive! Congratulations! I took about 10 pregnancy tests during the first few weeks (just to be sure - kinda neurotic) and sometimes I got lighter colored lines. I'm now 24 weeks pregnant. Get the test that says the words - "pregnant" or "not pregnant." It'll put your mind at ease.

Hi D.,

Call your OB to get their test immediately. They'll test you for pregnancy, and if you are but hormones are low, they can check and help adjust them to help you towards a healthy pregnancy. I had to do that with both my successful pregnancies, after I miscarried my first one at 11 weeks due to what they think were hormone issues. They'll know what to do. Hope that helps!

I used that same test when I was pregnant the first time and the second line was also faint. At this point if it's still unclear, I would buy a different kind. This time around (I'm 36 weeks prego now) I bought the kind that says pregnant/not pregnant. Good luck!

Hi D. -

Definitely talk to your doctor -- these strips are measuring the presence of HCg which increases day by day. If you are very early in the pregnancy (less than a few weeks) the results are a little dicey -- check out this website for some good info, and most importantly -- GOOD LUCK! I had my second child at 43 (perfectly healthy), so don't give up! :)

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/pregnancy-tests.cfm#a

We used the same pregnancy test and found the 2nd line to be very faint. We waited a week and when I still didn't get my period I called the doctor. I was pregnant so I'll cross my fingers that you have the same result.

D.,
I see you got lots of replies but I just though I would share with you something my doctor told me when I got pregnant, I took one test and it came up positive and another the next day and it came up negative so at my appointment my she told me that it is very unlikely that I would get a false positive. In other words the test could say your not pregnant when you are, but it wouldn't likely say you are when your not! Hopefully that helps ease your mind!
E.

1 / 3