Preemie with Constant Breathing Problems

My son, 8 months next week, has been sick non-stop since November. We've done the albuterol in the nebulizer since he's been 3-4 months (starting & stopping when the doctor tells us, of course). He was born over 7 weeks early, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. The doctor is worried that he may have asthma or allergies, but they can't diagnose or test for it until he's 2. We just started him on an inhaled steroid, Pulmacort, which we will continue with "indefinitely". He's just had 3 treatments of that, but I can't tell if it is working. We also have the humidifier & prop up his bed. Any other mom's with similar stories? What else can we do?

I wouldn't use the humidifier. Switch to a vaporizor. My son always did better with the hot steam in his room to open his chest, not the cold air from a humidifier. A little Vicks helps too. Just don't ever put it in the nose.

Have you had his adenoids looked at? My son was born 10 weeks early. Same thing as you - constant breathing issues. It always seemed he was congested. We tried everything. Finally saw an ENT who suggested we remove his adenoids. We did that in June when he was 2.5 yo. The change has been amazing! He's so much clearer now. And he's only had one cold this winter so far!

Hi D., I'm suggesting this because I used to have terrible bronchitis and my 4 year old son was getting sick 8-10 times per year starting very early like your son. He didn't have the breathing problems but had constant colds and sinus infections that required rounds and rounds of antibiotics. I was the one on my way to developing asthma with my bronchial attacks especially during winter. My dad found a product through a Japanese herbalist that can be used with a nebulizer. It's a natural product called mesosilver. We have been on it since August and no major colds, allergies, sinus infections, or breathing issues. It can be used for any age from infants up to the elderly and any age in between.The great thing about this produc is once you feel your immunity system is back on track, we only take it at the onset of an illness. Please see the link http://www.colloidsforlife.com/silver_Pneumonia.html
This particular link speaks about pneumonia but includes
information about infants using the product and using it with nebulizers so I thought it would help. There have been absolutely ZERO side effects for me or my 4 year old son. It's definitely not a mainstream solution like steroids and inhalers, but I was tired of steroids. When the dr.s told me my son may have to start that's when we really started looking for alternatives to standard medicine. Good luck and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. -Judy
PS--This is not the silver that turns your skin blue. That was a homemade product and of a different formulation. I am not affiliated with the product at all, just a mom who is glad she found an alternative to being sick 10 months out of the year.

My son was born only 3lbs at but he was only 2 1/2 weeks early. And we had to deal with all of the same issues except for the Pulmacort. However his doctor did say that she could tell that it was asthma based on his symptons. The funny thing is that when we would take him to the doctor even though his breathing would be horrible he would not act as if he were in any discomfort at all. The good news is that now (just like with his reflux) he seems to have grown out of it. In the past few months we have had no problems from him. And though he does have a runny nose now. His breathing is fine. I hope and pray that the same thing happens for your baby.

D., Time for some detective work. Have you noticed when he is in other places if he is the same or are there places where there is no dog or cat or dolphins and everything is fine? Well, you get the picture. Have you switched any laundry soaps,shampoos, products of any kind. I have dust bunnies and molds on my list for when my children used to have some of these problems. You can't see some of the molds for instance if your home had water leakage. I work at a school where there are allergies to the latex balloons and they can only have Mylar. Anything like that that seems so ordinary and yet it's perhaps a twinge of a problem? Well, those are thoughts. Hugs S.

My husband's nephew was born premature, about 2 months or something like that. He also had breathing problems. My bil had to also buy special formula that most stores do not carry, and it was so expensive. They were always taking the little one to the er for breathing and he did have special meds though I do not know what they were. In the winter, my bil would have to stay home from a lot of things because the cold would aggravate the asthma (which did come up right around the tme he was 2 or 3). But, the good news is now he is 6 or 7 and he has no breathing problems at all. I asked in Sept and his mom told me he doesn't even take meds anymore. When they are born preemie, their lungs don't always work properly and they can have asthma. Sometimes they outgrow it. Good Luck.

Unfortunately when babies are born premature they have have a tendency to develop asthma and other breathing problems because their lungs didn't get to develop fully in the womb. However they can outgrow these problems.

Our son had asthma symptoms too. We didn't think anything of it since his dad has asthma. We also used an inhaler for him, which was rather awkward.

I suggested allergy testing because I knew that his father's asthma is worse when he's exposed to his allergens. The testing showed that he was allergic to eggs. Severely allergic. Not only was he exposed from the things he ate, but I was practicing extended breastfeeding at the time, and he was exposed to everything I ate as well. Once we eliminated the eggs from his diet (and mine), all asthma symptoms stopped. Some very common allergens are egg, wheat, peanuts, dairy, soy, tree nut and seafood. He has since outgrown his food allergies.

By the time we had my son tested, however, he was around two or so. But you might want to contact a pediatric allergist and see if they will take him younger. They may not be able to do the tests and such, but they might be able to give you some help/advice. You might want to make changes in his diet to see if his symptoms improve, for example. But please do this with the guidance of a doctor.

1 / 3