Preeclampsia Help

Hi moms,

I'm in my 5th month with my second child and have high blood pressure for the first time in my life. My doctor didn't check my urine for blood but did ask me to return in 2 weeks for another blood pressure check. Today it was 180/70. I was wondering what your experiences are with preeclampsia. On the internet I'm reading about stillborn babies and near death moms. I'm hoping it's not so bad. Was anyone able to carry their baby for the full 9 months and were you and your babies healthy?

Thanks everyone.

S.,
I and my son were fine. I did go in to get induced when it was close to my due date.
Try not to worry or read those scary things, it will only increase your blood pressure! Lie on your left side as much as possible.
V.

Yes, preeclampsia is very serious - there is just no way to sugarcoat that. However, one high BP does not mean you have it or even have PIH. Listen closely to your OB, follow his/her directions to the letter. Unfortunately there is nothing that a woman does that causes this condition. If we could point to something in particular, we could prevent it. But, some midwives adocate a fairly high protein diet as they believe that women who follow this strategy have a much lower chance of developing PIH.

In the mean time, try to relax. I had a woman in one of my Lamaze classes who had been hospitalized several times with very high BP and suspected PIH. I taught deep relaxation breathing in the second class. The following week, she told me that she was practicing this yoga type breathing several times per day and that her BP had dropped considerably! This being said, maybe you could seek out a yoga instructor to teach you about the deep (or belly) breathing.

I just find myself thinking that all pregnant women should be doing this! Healthful practices that keep you relaxed during your pregnancy are a good thing :-) Please do not stress about this one high BP. Instead, take the steps to get it and keep it down.

And yes, it is possible to go a full 9 months, even with high bp!

HI i had preeclampsia in my first pregnancy 10 years ago, they didn't know to much about it then but now they do and they can do a blood test to check for it . So if you feel your doc isn't doing enough get a second opinion the 180 is high but the 70 is not so i wouldn't try to worry your self to much...I now have 3 beautiful girls and had high blood pressure in all of my pregnancy's but only suffered from preeclampsia in my first one.. Normal bp is any range from 100/60 -139/89 if it reaches 140/90 then thats border line high bp..I've learned a lot about high bp in the last 10 years, i now suffer from high bp now due to high anxiety and family genes, ugh! but research suggests that preeclampsia during pregnancy can lead to high bp later in life.. so i'd suggest to you eat healthy don't smoke and do normal pregnancy exercises every day and get as much zzzz's as possible and drink plenty of water(helps prevent UTI's also during pregnancy) and of course daily prenatal vitamins are a must..Limit your caffeine intake to one soda or one cup of joe per day..and if you do develop high bp they do have medication for you that is def safe for your baby and you during your pregnancy.. any other questions that you have please email me @ ____@____.com
Good luck and well wishes
~C.

My sister-in-law had preeclampsia during her first two pregnancies, and she & the kids were just fine. She watched her salt and went on bed rest towards the end of each pregnancy. Now she is pregnant again & for some reason is having no trouble with preeclampsia.

They check for protein in your urine with preeclampsia. It's VERY serious! Follow your doctor's orders to the letter! I had post-partum pre-eclampsia with my first, which is unusual. You read and hear all the time that the "cure" for pre-eclampsia is giving birth. However it does happen once in awhile! I had to go back into the hospital for two days and stay on a magnesium drip, and that took care of everything. Since it wasn't an issue before birth, I went to term. With my second, two weeks before his due date, my blood pressure started rising and wouldn't go down. I had to do the fun pee test where I got to carry an orange jug around with me all day and pee in it for 24 hours! Anyway, I never went fully into pre-eclampsia, but did have PIH, so they induced a week early after a week of bed rest hadn't changed anything.

When it's much earlier like yours, you do whatever they tell you to do! I hope you don't have to be hospitalized, but don't play around! IF you actually become pre-eclamptic (and while your BP is high -it's not pre-eclampsia high), you will be admitted and watched. If they can stabilize your BP, you will be able to "stay pregnant." If they can't, they may go in a few directions depending on where you are in your pregnancy at that point. They will most likely try to get you to 30 weeks minimum if you become pre-eclamptic, but if you into eclampsia they will deliver to save your life. If you're eclamptic you are seriously close to stroking out or going into a coma. None of this is to scare you, but I know a few people who just didn't take this very seriously and given the reactions and info I had with the small experience I had -it's SERIOUS!

I hope you aren't working outside of the home. And if your first child isn't in preschool or daycare, please get someone to take care of him or her for you. You need to be resting as much as possible. Another poster mentions lowering your salt intake, drinking a lot and laying on your left side - yes - and void your bladder often too. That's as important as drinking plenty of water. Ask friends if they will bring dishes of food to you - tell them you aren't supposed to have salt. That will help you a lot. It is so important for you to do the best you can to manage this.

Hi S.-

I have had two children now and have been very concerned about preeclampsia with both pregnancies. High BP runs in my family and seems to be aggrevated by weight. I was very fortunate and was able to avoid it both times.

I managed my weight gain both from a rate perspective and a total perspective. I aslo tried to avoid excessive salt, though it is NOT recommended to elimninate it completely. I would also make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep flushing your system out. The turn over of fluids is a huge deal when you are pregnant. Light to moderate exercise seemed to help me too, especially with the weight issue.

I would also recommend looking into a doula or a midwife. I DO NOT say this as a substitute for your doctor but rather as a compliment to the care you are receiving. I have used a doula for both pregnancies and births and have found that has made a huge difference in my mental state and prespective on the pregnancies. I think this helped keep my stress levels in check (an thus the BP too). It gave me an alternate outlet with which to discuss the comments/suggestions/advise of the doctor I was seeing. The internet was overwhelming versus the doula knowing my situation and being able to filter my concerns through that knowledge.

~C.

I had preeclampsia with my first child, was put on bedrest because of pre-term labor at 6 months, and was induced 5 weeks early because of the preeclampsia. My son weighed 7.5 pounds and was very healthy, though I had some complications during delivery. I went on to have another healthy son 5.5 years later. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and I hope all goes well with your delivery.

1 / 3