Pre-school Birthday Ideas

Does anyone have any snack ideas to bring to our daughter's pre-school to celebrate her birthday? I love to make cake and cupcakes but they are not allowed because of the mess factor. I've thought about putting jello in cupcake holders with whipped cream on top. Any suggestions to further that or totally something else???

Most pre-schools (and most schools) can only allow commercially packaged treats. It has to do with the health department regulations - they can only serve things that were prepared in a health dept certified kitchen (this includes treats parents bring/send). So take that into consideration.

Maybe a non-food treat would be better. Preschoolers love stickers. Or those little magic-sketch pads, or something else like that. Don't feel like you have to do a food-treat to celebrate her birthday (unless you're the official treat-bringer for that day and they're counting on a food; then you want to make it more healthy and less sweets.)

I just today had to figure this out for our pre-schooler! She only goes a couple mornings a week for a few hours, so cupcakes and the like were out for us just because then the teacher would have had to try and work that in to their morning routine while our daughter was there, which wouldn't have really worked very well at all. After talking with the teacher, I came up with the idea just to do a little treat bag that the kids will be able to take home with them instead. The teacher thought it would work out great - no sugar highs lol! They will do their birthday "ceremony" so the birthday still gets celebrated and then have the baggies to take home. They will have a small bag of fruit snacks, a couple stickers, a "crazy" straw (you know those curly looking ones) and a little soft frisbee I found clearance at Toys R Us today. There aren't a lot of kids in the class, so it wasn't that expensive to do - I probably would have thought twice if there was going to be a lot of expense associated with it and tried to come up with something else. Hope you are able to find an idea that will work for you and have a great weekend!

Maybe mini cupcakes with no frosting, or put the frosting in a large ziplock, cut off a little of one corner and poke it into the middle (from the bottom) and squeeze a little into the middle. Or cookies!

I would definately check to see if you are allowed to bring in baked treats because it has been banned in most schools. If not, jello treats may be fine though as an employee in a private school Nursery through 8th I saw a class of 22 first graders turn their noses up at jello (I think 3 even tried it). I have also see parents bring donuts which are not as crumbly, the little goody bags, pretzels sticks dipped in chocolate with sprinkles, and various homemade cookies and candies. Ask the teacher about allergies also. Depending on how severe, certain things may be banned in the classroom or those children just have an alternative snack.

Hi M. - our preschool says that we are not allowed to bring in home-baked treats to the kids. Store bought ones are fine but the store's cupcakes are just awful.

Perhaps you could bring in Jello or Pudding cups and a can of spray whip cream? You could open the tops for the kids and add some flourish with whipcream and sprinkles?

How about those big cookies they bake in a cake plate, then cut into wedges like a pizza? You could get some pre-made cookie dough, bake it yourself in a pie plate, then decorate the top as you would a cake (with icing, etc). Or go to your closest mall and get one from any of the cookie places (Sally Field, Nestle, etc). That shouldn't be as messy as a cake or cupcakes, especially if you forgo the icing altogether. Or do something similar with rice crispie treats...make a large "sheet cake" of rice crispie treats, then cut it up like a cake. I think jello would be just as messy as cake since half of it will slide off the kids' spoons onto the floor, which will annoy the teachers just as much. When thinking about something solid a little kid can hold in one hand which makes a minimal mess, I come up with some sort of cookie or rice crispie thingy...I'm sure you'll get some great ideas from other moms, too! Good luck!

My son's Pre-School Birthday was Spider-man theme. We had the same issue of "no mess" so we purchased the Mallowmars cookies $4.00 for 20ct from the grocery store. They are a gram cracker with marshmallow then covered in chocolate. Very Yummy! We then purchased from the party store Spider-man cupcake icing decorations. 9ct for $2.99 and placed one on each Mallowmar. They have these icing decoration in all themes. Because the kids are 2-3 years old it was the perfect portion. We also purchased a cupcake tower and arranged them on there with a candle on top for the "Happy Birthday". Hope that helps. They were very easy to prepare and not messy at all. :-)

Have you talked to your preschool? We are not allowed to take in homemade treats. They have to be store bought.

Rice Krispie treats are always a hit.

1 / 3