Potty Training: to Stand or to Sit????

Do you potty train a boy by standing or sitting? What advantages/disadvantages are there to each? My little guy will be 3 in June and has no interest in going in the potty. He knows when he poops and often knows when he is peeing. He went through a phase at 2 yrs when he wanted to go on the big potty all the time. Now, nothing.... ugh. Do I push a little or not at all???? I know this is the "age old question" for those of us with kiddos this age, but seriously, AHHHHHHH!

Jodi- i totally tried to entice him with the cheerio trick last week. so, i set a small cup of cheerios on the back of the toilet, and daddy showed him how to "do it" next thing you know i find my little guy sitting in the bathroom eating the cheerios and asking for more! HA HA HA! LOL!

so many brothers and sons here! i've never dealt with a little boy peeing sitting down. my jaw is on the floor that it's apparently so common.
who knew?
(apparently everyone but me!)
:O
khairete

We started with sitting--first because with the potty chair, standing would have been a large PITA to clean (splashes/aiming/etc.) Then we went to a potty ring on the large toilet so sitting there too (gotta teach about using a finger or two to push it DOWNWARD!) and eventually he graduated to standing--when he could stand and aim it "down" at the bowl.

Updated

honestly, i am a girl, i never saw the big deal about training my son to stand - i figured sitting, there was less likely of spraying it everywhere...! i never addressed it with him and then one day, not long after he started preschool, i heard, "mommy, look what i can do!" and there he was, standing up, proud as can be.

who knew?
(apparently everyone but me!)
:O
khairete

Updated

My stepson and two sons were both over three (3 yrs 3 mos, 3 yrs 3 mos, and 3.5 years) when they were potty trained. My 2.5 year old son is NOT interested yet. I would SO MUCH rather change diapers than clean up soiled clothes because of trying to train too early. With all three of the older ones, when they were ready, it just clicked and only took a couple weeks. My 2.5 year old will be going to preschool in the fall, a week shy of his 3rd bday, so we'll be training this summer. All three so far have been trained sitting down. At first, they were scared to stand up and just wouldn't do it. It took between 3 and 6 mos to get them to go standing up. The only time that sitting was a pain was in public--but, thats what girls have to do! Most, not all, of the moms of boys I've known have trained their boys sitting down and gradually moved to standing. Good luck!

I just taught mine to sit. Right with Denise P (gotta use the finger to push it down, otherwise it shoots out between the seat and the bowl and the clothes are soaked - or YOU are, lol). When he mastered sitting, and I mean mastered. He did EVERYTHING himself (except reach far enough to get the soap and the water turned on) then my husband started taking him with him into the men's room in public places sometimes. Once that started, he naturally started standing without ME having to have any part of that business.

Frankly, I think it is helpful for them to sit in the beginning, b/c when they are trying to poop, often a little pee comes out too. If they sit to pee, then they have 2 successes and no accidental squirts out the front of the toilet, because they already know what to do to prevent that. ha ha ha

sitting at 1st, don't push, boys take there sweet time when it comes to potty training, and later you could always try the cheerio trick, where you put a few in the toilet water and they try to hit the target! LOL

I didn't use those little potty chairs because a wise mom before me said you would just have to retrain them on the big potty. so we got those little foot stools and both my son and daughter used those to use the big potty. I also taught my son to stand up since that's what most men do, right? Didn't want him to learn sitting down and then I say...just kidding...now lets do that standing up!!! Good luck!!!!

If you really want to potty train I wouldn't put Cheerios in the bathroom to entice him but just say 'today we are going to be potty trained'. Get a timer and set it to take him every 15-30 min. and have him sit on the potty, big stool if he is comfortable up there, and then if he doesn't go try when the timer goes off and don't quit or stop until he goes. Then you can give him a reward or treat or whatever you choose. The key is to be consistent and not to stop and start and for you to be in charge and not let him decide if he wants to wander in or not. Otherwise it will not go as smoothly. My boys, 4 of them, all sat for a time and then stood when completely potty trained and comfortable standing. Be careful if you have stool lid covers as they can make the lid not stay back sometimes and that's 'scary' to them. Also be sure to stress the fact that it goes in the potty and not on the lid, floor or other places to clean up.

1 / 3