Potty Training Tips

I am starting the chapter of potty training for my almost 15 month old daughter. I started by trying to time her "downtown deliveries," because that's what my mom did. So far not too bad. She has actually made one delivery in the potty. Anyone have successful potty training tips to share that made things easier and more effective??

Hey K.! When i potty trained my now 4 year old, I bought a bunch of cheap dollar store toys and placed them in a basket on top of the frige. every time she went potty, she picked out a toy. if she poo'd she'd get two. worked like a charm. BUT I also learned that if they are not ready, it doesnt matter what you do.

Hello K., I am a mother of 3 girls, & grandmother of 3 boys... w/ my daughters potty training was easy.. my oldest was potty trained by the time she was 18 months... she started very young, she started everything very early... but she always followed me every where, so when I went to the potty, she went also... & started "wanting" to sit also (at 12 mos) So I bought her her own potty, she started going every time I did. She even would go w/o saying anything to me, just afterwards, she would come tell me "Mommy, I pee-peed". The other 2 weren't that fast, but they were all potty trained by the time they were 2. The grandsons were a different story, the oldest was trained in 2 weeks, when he was 2, but he also had developmental delays. The next one, didn't get it til he was 3. The other is still a baby, so don't know yet! Good luck!! Enjoy every minute, it goes by very fast...

It's great that you've started getting your daughter used to sitting on the potty, but she is extremely young, so keep your expectations in line with her age. She can't be completely potty trained until her little body is developed enough to hold her urine for longer periods of time. She will also have to have the motor skills required to get her clothes on and off to be going on her own. For now, letting her sit after she wakes up (in the morning and from naps) and before bath time is good because that is the time when she may have the most success. If you can time it right and she will sit there long enough to go, then great, but by all means, don't push her because she will lose interest quickly. Also, if she does say she doesn't want to sit, then respect her wishes at this point. You don't want to make this a negative experience for her.

My daughter started potty training at 15 months old too. She is now 16 months old. It is so exciting. We have a little Bjorn Potty, and she has gotten really good about cuing me when she has to go. She says "Poo-poo", often she has just gone, however, at least once or twice a day she actually goes on the potty. Things that have helped us are: a) I actually sit down with her while she is on the potty, otherwise she likes to get right up. We use that time to read books. b) sometimes we nurse while she is on the potty, and that helps to keep her down longer, long enough for her to do her business. And finally c) I try to time her potties, I know that she normally goes right after gettting up from nap, so I make sure to take her then. Patience is good too, they normally don't get it overnight, I guess that is where the training part comes in. Good luck to you all!

the one thing ive heard from both my parents and my husbands was to let the child "be friends" with the potty chair. basically what they did, and this also worked on my son, was to introduce the potty chair to them before you actually start the training but let them play with it. its clean so its not going to hurt them. but they can sit on it, bang on it, and so forth, this helps them to not be afraid of it. when you notice their routine of potty time (when they wake up is usually a good one)set her on the potty seat. the other thing that really helped my son was i had bought a training potty that you could record your voice as a praise for them. it had a fake flushing handle so when he got done he would push that down and he would hear Yay Rion! You're a Big Boy! or something to that degree. hope that helps some. good luck

For my son, as long as he was in his pull-ups, he had an excuse. He would go potty as his day care, but at home he was like "dude, I'm off the clock" and he'd go in his pull-up. One Saturday morning, I slipped on some underwear without him noticing and that was it. I packed extra clothes and undies for him and a couple diapers and kept him in sandals. We went all over town. I took him to every potty I could find and encouraged him to go. If we had an accident, I would pull a diaper out of my bag and soak up the accident and tell him that we were going to the potty to get cleaned up. He would then finish going potty on the toilet and we got cleaned up and started over. He had 5 accidents in one day, but I never put a pull-up back on him and didn't stop our running around town. The next day, he didn't have one accident. He went a full week before his next accident and it was at naptime. I never yelled at him or got upset. After all, for 2 1/2 years, it had been expected, no almost demanded of him for him to go potty in his diaper, and NOW I was expecting him to CHANGE?? It takes time and a lot of patience. He handled it very well.

15 months is too early for probably 80% of children. I recommend stop the effort and wait until she shows interest it will make your life a lot easier.

As soon as my girls understood the concept of a "birthday party" (around about 28 months), we had almost instant success with potty training. Here's how it works: I told my girls (3 girls now 16, 14, & 10) when they could go without using diapers we would have a Potty Party where we would send out invitations and invite some friends to Chucky Cheese to celebrate no more diapers! The fun part was (and without my asking) the children brought packs of cute girl underwear as gifts! We ordered pizza and celebrated the event just like a birthday. Wildly successful as it made training easy and fun for them and it took maybe 2 weeks to accomplish the task.

1 / 3