Potty Training Question - Only Goes a Little Each Time

Hi moms,
My 18 month-old has been using the potty off and on for the last month. I know he is really young and we didn't feel strongly about getting him trained early but he was showing lots of interest so we were just going with the flow.

Now he will tell us when he has to go and he will go into the bathroom and take off his diaper. We sit him on the little potty but he only goes a few dribbles and then he hops up, runs down the hall to his room and pees on the floor! Each time it happens we say "no, we don't pee on the floor, we pee on the potty" and go back and sit on the potty again. We even tried closing the door so he couldn't leave the bathroom without us.

He stays at home with my husband and they do most of the potty-ing during the day when I'm not there. My husband thinks our son is more comfortable standing to use the potty instead of sitting (and of course sees my husbanding doing that.) But we both agree that there is no way he is ready to be standing and aiming and such. We don't want to discourage the potty use but we also don't want to clean up pee all the time. Does anyone have suggestions on what we should do?

My son also preferred to stand while peeing so we taught him to "aim for the cave"(the back of the inside of the toilet" and that seemed to work.

T.,
Try getting another potty seat and putting it in his bedroom. A cousin of mine when he and his wife were potty training their sons they kept a potty seat in the living room because this is where the boys spend most of their time and they potty trained very quickly and in no time they were able to move the seat out of the living room! Good luck.

Hi T.!
My son (now 20 yrs.) & also a 2 yr. old I used to babysit had the same issues. The solution for me was to get a sturdy stool & put in the bathroom, & let them go to town. It was a little messy the first few weeks, but they got the hang of standing up to do their business. The 2 yr old would even stand up & go in the potty. I guess some boys just have the need to stand because they see Dad do it. But, we all are potty trained at some point, so don't worry.

On the suggestion of my sister in law who has 3 boys - she started with paper dixie cups at bathtime.(No mess to clean up and they can put themselves right in the cup) When our little guy was transitioning to standing he liked it too cos it was fun. The great thing about standing up is that they can then go ANYWHERE. We've made quick stops in parking lots on roadtrips just because he could go in the bushes.(FREEDOM) Since the dixie cup idea worked for us - what about any kind of handheld recepticle that would let him stand and still avoid the mess. We have a plastic measuring cup with handle that is about 2C and we can hold it while he goes peepee. Wow - 18months. Think of the diaper savings when you're all done WOOHOO!!

My son is 16 now and we went through a similar scenario with him. Since practice makes perfect and it is natural for a man to stand while urinating I say let him stand. You may have some extra cleaning at first but he will get better. Try the urinal thing mentioned by another poster and use a cheerio for "target practice"-wish we had thought of that one!

I had a little boy in the day care that would tell us he had to go and when we took him, he would get upset and not go. Finally, I started letting him stand up and hold on to the seat while it was up, and this put him in the right position for him to be aimed into the water. We would also put a cheerio or fruit loop in there so he could practice aiming a little when he wanted to. You little one is trying to be like daddy. Maybe standing is what he really wants to do. I don't know if that helps, but it is worth a shot!

My son is two and I have experienced the same thing, my husband is of the opinion if he stands that it will go easier and wants to get one of the little potty urinals to try. We have not done this yet but he has a coworker that said once he got the stand up urnial for his son the potty training was a breeze. You may want to give it a try - they are sold at places like babies r us and target.

T.,

Here, this might give you a laugh... Maybe he's a candidate for this product: http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?product...

I got this one for my son but he won't hold still long enough to use it! http://www.pottyscotty.com/Urinal-for-Boys.html

One of the books I read suggested letting them run around and pee outside, so that their choice to void is okay (ish) and they experience the sensation of staying clean.

If you want more fringe type products for encouraging your little one to go diaper free... http://www.theecstore.com/

My little girl declared herself diaper free at 2 and it's WONDERFUL!

Best,

1 / 3