"Potty Training" My 3 Year Old Son!

I'm looking for advice/ideas on how to Potty Train my 3 year old son. How do I know he's ready? At times I think I am influenced by other family and friends that comment on him not being potty trained. At the moment I am a stay at home mom so i'm thinking this is a great time to get started. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

I am with Chrissie. It sounds weird, but having my son naked really helped. We have beautiful weather for it. Hopefully you have a back yard. It was also a big incentive to go outside and pee. There was that one time he pooped on the driveway (smile) but he was potty trained by 13 months old. Also, I would suggest enlisting Dad in this. I know Moms are the ones usually left to do this job but my son LOVED peeing outside with Dad and seeing how far it would go. He will be 4 next week and he has only had maybe 4 or 5 accidents in 3 years. Good luck!

I know that potty training can sometimes be a challenge. I potty trained my son when he was about 3 years old. What finally worked, was playing a "Cherrios Game". I know it sounds wierd, but it worked. All you do is put a few cherrios into the toilet, and have him see how many he can hit. Warning, there could be a little bit of a mess, if he tries to aim to fast. But with my son, he got so excited when he would hit one, that pretty soon, all he wanted to do was play the cherrios game. Little by little I starting cutting down the amount of cherrios, until there was none. It helped him not be so bored. Good Luck!

I have 2 boys and a girl. My boys potty trained really early. My oldest was done just after his second birthday and with the example of him my youngest boy followed in his footsteps around 18m. Amazing I know. Books help! They get them excited. Also referring to the diapers as a "baby" thing makes them think about it not being their thing. We had a jar full of little toy horses and everytime he used the potty he would get a toy. Also, I don't know where you live and if you have a back yard, but little boys love to pea outside. It's a good way to get them used to the idea of it. Don't get frustrated, they will and do have accidents....it's part of the process. I think they will stay in diapers as long as you let them. It's a thing where you have to be ready more then they have to be ready. Good luck!!

Hi A.. I just turned 34 (last week!), I have been married for 15 years and have a 8 year old girl and 4 year old son.

The funny thing; as soon as I gave up my attachment to having my son be potty-trained, he trained himself. Sounds funny, I know, but I too was influenced by my daughter having been trained at 14 months and a loving mom who never forgot to remind me that I was missing my opportunity when my some was already three.

A loving suggestion, buy plenty of pull-up (I prefer actual underwear with my son, can through them in the wash.) and practice patience. Ask him often (every time you think about it, really) and stand outside the door when he goes. When he does go (which may be one out of every 7 visits) CELEBRATE! My entire family, including my husband, would sing a special song and only Brenden got to pick a special treat from a jar just for him.

Long story short, he was asking to go, then going by himself within two weeks.

hi annete, ill share with you what worked for me. Im now 35 and my kids are 15yr and 12yr, yet only seems like yesterday they were 3 yrs old. bolth my children were completly trained and no accidents betwwen 18 and 24 months. My husband and I couldnt stand poopy dipers along with the expense. I was determined to have then on the toilet asap.starting at 12 months I began saying shoooeeee while changing diper, and saying no no poo poo goes in toilet. So id take them to toilet and release pooop from diper into toilet and and flush saying by by. making a big deal about it.sounds silly but it got there attention. Then putting them on the toilet so they know this is where you do your doody. As well as each time I went to the rest room I brought them with me and had to show them, again making a big deal about it and clapping after flushing. suprisingly it worked with bolth kids each time around. I realize your son is 3 now. Stay consistant and patient.now is a great time with your 19 month old to communicate not to poop in diper. good luck.

when your son is ready he will do it on his own. i potty trained my son at 2 and it took 3 weeks. i did it purely for financial reasons. i did not want to pay for diapers anymore! at the time i was a single mom. i go my son trained with m&m's he would go and i would reward him with an m&m. the biggest thing you must remember is that you have to be consistent!!! take him to the bathroom every 10 minutes. get him to drink liquid and then after 10 min take him. get rid of the diapers and put on big boy underpants. also you can let him walk around the house with out any bottoms on at all. sometimes when a kid pees himself it is very uncomfortable and they don't like it. let him know he is a big boy now and it is now time for him to go to the big boy potty. have your husband take him and also have your husband pee with him in the room. watching helps. they also make these "targets" that float in the toilet so the can aim. cherrios work also make a game out of it. stay positive and don't scold or belittle. just let him know that you are proud of him trying and that he will be proud of himself when he does it. at night use overnight diapers until he goes a few weeks without peeing at night. the good thing about the overnights is that when they are not wet you can reuse them. be patient and make a big deal out of it clap and call family when he goes. bm's take longer but ask him if he has to go yuckies or poop. encourage him to let you know. bm's should be treated as such: food in food out when he eats take him to the potty. read to him play games go over the abc's. take your time and have fun when he is ready it will be easy!

I have two chilren, a 9 year old son and a 3 year old dauter. She just turned 3 on feb 10th and how I did it with both of them was let them go with out clouse. It worked realy well. It was easer with my son than my dauter. It helped because when they had to go there was nothing in there way, and they could feel it. Maybe it will work for you.

My 3 yr. old has really struggled with potty training. Putting my son in real underwear didn't help much, but what did help was making him go around naked. That did the trick. With any kind of underwear on they feel that there is something to pee into. After eliminated the underwear, my son peed on the floor once or twice and pooped once but after that he decided that he did not like peeing/pooping on the floor. So he started using the toilet instead. Continue doing this until you see that he is comfortable with using the toilet, then you can put the underwear back on.

my family told me to do little tricks like: put a fruit loop in the toilet and have ur son try to pee on it and others tell me to other things. the best way i learned, and i was not a stay at home mom, was to take both of my sons into the bathroom maybe every 5-10min and let them try to pee. they got the hang of it. it took awhile because boys take longer than girls, trust i know i have a daughter she was potty trained at 2. pull-ups work great for over night also. when he gets up in the morning just take him straight to the bathroom and show him thid id what he does in the morning. also reward him everytime he does it, it makes him want to use the bathroom even more. i hope this helps u some and good luck with the potty training.

1 / 3