Potty Training Infants

I have a 10 month old who I am wanting to begin to potty train. Has anyone done this??
I would love advice, tips, and support.
thanks

Thank you everyone for responding. I didn't expect so much response. I am going to wait to potty train her, but i did buy some cloth Gerber training panties for these really hot days. That way she doesn't have to wear a hot diaper and wont have any big accidents.

There are websites on this issue- I believe it is called elimination communication. Do a google search for that and you should have many websites pop up. I haven't done this myself at the age you are talking about, so good luck!

I don't mean to be a 'naysayer,' but starting at 5 weeks and being ALMOST finished at 2 yrs - starting at 4 months finishing at 18 months...seems like a long time and a lot of work. I mean, it is great if you have that kind of time to dedicate to it. Both my kids were just over two when they showed signs of being ready (taking themselves to the toilet and sitting for a while) and in 3 days they had it down...It just seems like with all the work and challenges parenting involves, why create more? If they are ready and old enough to know it and understand it, that is half the battle!

I can understand wanting to begin potty training, but is your baby really ready? Has she shown the signs of being ready, physically and mentally? If she hasn't, and I am not sure that a 10 month old really can, then it is likely to be a much more difficult process. Good luck whatever you decide, though.

heck yes! do it! Elimination Communication is the way. we have been 'potty training' our almost 2 year old since he was 5 weeks old. he's almost completely potty trained (except at night) and it's been months, literally, since we changed a poopy diaper. EC rocks! research the Diaper-Free Baby, there are books and websites on it. also, there's an online digest on yahoo groups called East Bay Diaper Free Babies. you can get support, answer questions, and sometimes we have hang outs with the babies. hanging out with other EC'ing babies is really helpful to the kiddos.

your baby is ready and totally deserves to not poop in her pants!! don't listen to naysayers!

10 months is way too early. Way too early.

Dear J.,
I know it seems awfully young to begin thinking about potty training, but without realizing it, I started potty training my first baby very early. She developed a horrible allergy to disposable diapers and I was so terrified of her getting such another bad rash, that unless we were going somewhere, I didn't have a diaper of any kind on her at all. I put cotton training panties on her and set her on the potty throughout the day. Some people thought I was out of my mind, but like I said, I would rather her have an accident than go through another rash. But she did great. And, she never developed a fondness for diapers or the sense that she couldn't go without a diaper on. My son came along 10 years later and although he didn't have an allergy, I rarely put diapers on him. He was super easy to potty train because for instance, if we went somewhere and I put a diaper on him, he wanted it off the very instant he even just got it wet. He wanted nothing to do with wet or dirty diapers. I put them on the toilet when they were really super little so they wouldn't be afraid of it and I just knelt in front of them and hugged them and rubbed their backs. If they went, they went. If they didn't, they didn't, but everytime I went, I put them on the toilet. They both had little potty chairs, but just thought of them as another toy. They didn't use them.
I personally don't think it's too early to drop the diapers as often as you can and introduce the whole bathroom procedure. It makes things a lot easier down the road.

Best of wishes!

I also practiced elimination communication with my son from the day he was born. By the time he was six or seven months almost all of his poops and over half of his pees were in the potty. Unfortunately, when he started walking he stopped wanting to be put on the potty. He had too much to do and couldn't be patient to wait for a poop. It turns out this type of "potty pause" is very common. We still do diaper free time when at home, but the accidents are much more common. According to other "EC" mommies I know many babies come out of the potty pause when they start talking and then are reliably using the potty for most elimination by around 15mts. So-- while I encourage you to buy the diaper free books and start the process, I want to warn you to be very patient with your self and your baby. Keep it very, very low pressure and mellow.

Hi! You know, I didn't start my children that young, but I have family members who did. They told me that they just had to remember to put the baby on the toilet every hour. At that young of an age, I don't think that a baby can be truly potty-trained...the parent is trained to put them on the potty. I think that a child can be truly potty-trained when the child is able to understand that he/she has to use the potty. There may be others who disagree, but just my two cents. Have a great day!

I read a majority of the reponses you received and am wondering why so many moms are in such a hurry to no longer have their baby be a baby??!!! It's astonishing to me! She is not even 1! Why are you wanting to rush this??

1 / 3