Potty Training an 8 Year Old...

Okay, this is a question for my SIL.

Background: My SIL has 5 kids - 13 year old girl, 8 year old boy/girl twins, 5 year old boy, and a newborn girl. The 3 oldest kids are from her first "relationship" (Engaged but never married). The youngest two are from her current marriage. The kids live with my SIL and her husband (Who raises/treats them like his own and loves them just as much as his own), and do every other weekend with their father. I don't know the full story, but their father sounds like a complete ****.

Situation: Her 8 year old son was potty trained. No accidents what-so-ever for a year and a half. Then one weekend he stayed at his father's house. When he got back, he was no longer potty trained. My SIL says that it wouldn't surprise her if her ex had somehow convinced her son to do this. I guess he has convinced them to do other things before (Like saying hateful things to their mom, fighting with each other to stress mommy out, etc). I found this out because I've been watching the kids this week (The 3 oldest kids were at their dad's Monday/Tuesday and Wednesday my SIL took off work to take them all to a Dr appointment, so this was the first day that the 8 year old was with me). Towards the end of the day, I noticed that something stunk. It wasn't my two year old and it wasn't the newborn. I asked the 5 year old if he had an accident, and he said no. Then the 13 year old told me that sometimes the 8 year old boy had accidents. So I asked him and sure enough he admitted that he had pooped his pants. Why? Because he was too busy playing. Now he had used the bathroom several times during the day, so it's not like he doesn't know HOW to use the bathroom... He just chose not to. I made him clean up the mess on the floor (Some of the poop had fallen out of his underwear and onto the carpet in my son's bedroom) and clean his underwear and himself (There wasn't any extra underwear or pants for him in the bag my SIL packed (She forgot because his grandma (The person who usually watches him) has clothes for him at her house).

So when my SIL came to pick up the kids I told her about it. She has said that it has been going on for over a year now. They have taken him to his doctor, who said there was nothing physically wrong. They have tried punishments, taking away favorite things (For example: He is not allowed to play the Wii (Which he loves) until it stops - He doesn't care), and rewards for when he does use the potty. They have had people that he respects try to talk to him. They have asked him why is does it and come up with a solution to every problem (Example: Why didn't you get out of bed to use the bathroom last night? I woke up but was afraid of the dark. Okay, here is a night light.). When he does it at their house, he has to clean up whatever mess on the floor, scrub his underwear out in the bathtub, and then clean the bathtub. They have tried everything that they can think of and he just doesn't seem to care. He does it everywhere. At home, at his dad's, at his relative's houses, at friend's houses, at school... Everywhere. They just can not figure out a way to solve this problem.

I offered to post a question about it on here and see what solutions you ladies come up with. Maybe you can think of something that they haven't thought of?

P.S After his "accident" today, I talked to him and we agreed on what punishment would happen tomorrow if he had another "accident" at my house. No more ipad for him. Hopefully he won't do it again, but we'll have to see.

At that age, potty training regression is frequently a sign of a traumatic event... like being sexually abused, or physically abused, or witnessing something age inappropriate (dad having sex with girlfriend?). Or it could be stress related - maybe the tension at his dad's house or the tension between the mom and dad. Either way - this boy should really see a child psychologist to get to the root of the problem. Someone who's trained in this could help him get over whatever it is, and back on track.

It's clearly not 100% an accident - he is either doing it willfully, his father has somehow forced him into it (aka abusive), or he's somehow traumatized and this is how it's manifesting itself. If it were truly an accident, he would be embarrassed by it happening at school or with his friends. Sounds more like a desperate cry for attention to me.

Does he have any sort of conditions or disabilities (autism, for example) that might make it harder in general to potty train him?

If he's 8 years old, this is been happening for 1 year, and he was only potty trained for 18 months before that, he was already REALLY old before he was potty trained (like, 5).

This child needs therapy. Chances are the other two do as well. The mom needs it too. This behavior is absolutely not normal and probably not physical (esp since the docs confirmed that).

Never punish a chd for bathroom issues.
This child needs professional help ASAP. I'm shocked his pediatrician didn't address that.

I don't think it's because his father "told" him to do it. Encopresis is usually a control issue, and his parents' divorce and his father being a **** probably has something to do with it. They lack control in some area of their lives, but they offset it by controlling (or refusing to control) their bowels.

I think she should focus on the reward aspect more than punishing him. Punishment rarely works for this. He's getting some personal reward from pooping in his pants, so she needs to offer him something that's worth more.

I know a teen who had this through middle school, and he told me that when he decided to contain it he just worked really hard to keep it in, although that's not all that helpful. I could ask him for more information if you wish.

It is time, for professional psychological help, from a mental health professional/Therapist.

And the 2nd problem is: the Dad seems like a jerk. And who knows what goes on at his house, toward the son. Or who comes and goes from the Dad's house and whatever else kind of activities or environment, goes on there and, who knows how the Dad treats, the son, or if he is abusive either physically or mentally and emotionally.

And the bottom line is: WHY, don't they take the boy, to a Professional Psychologist.

We had a boy in my class that would poop when he was stressed. Of course being kids we teased him about it to make him poop more. It was all psychological and he outgrew it. My point isn't that we were awful kids but even if he said he did it purpose there is a chance he didn't.

To a child psychiatrist and quickly. I got nothin else. Anyone with these issues needs help, big time.

Something bigger is wrong. He needs help, not punishments.

My SD used to pee her pants because she was playing and didn't want to stop to use the bathroom. She would suddenly not be able to hold it and then pee her pants. This usually happened if she was very absorbed in playing with something, or at our relatives house and there were kids to play with and she didn't want to stop. After peeing, she'd be upset and come to us. We used to have to bring extra underwear and clothes everywhere we went. This happened when she was about 7. There weren't any big differences except when she was about that age we stopped watching her so closely and allowed her freedom to play with her friends. This meant we weren't asking her if she had to go potty when we saw the signs, and she wasn't wanting to go.

What worked for us: have your SIL set a timer for 1 hour. He is to try to go to the bathroom every hour when the timer goes off, meaning he will have to stop playing to do it.

Hopefully he will decide that stopping playing every hour is more annoying than just going to the bathroom when you have to go. My SD decided that she hated having to stop playing every hour to try to go, so suddenly she decided to go when she had to go and the accidents stopped.

If he is playing with poop in his pants, something else is wrong. My SD always came to us right away after an accident and was upset.

1 / 3