Potty Training - Rochester,MN

Help! I'm at my witts end with Potty Training. My 2 1/2 year daughter will go poop on the potty but she won't pee. She hates pull-ups and diapers and lately only wants to wear big girl pants - but she won't pee on the potty! I could sit there with her for 1/2 hour and she won't go but ten minutes later, she will wet herself. She doesn't even seem to care that she is wet either! We have tried rewards and prizes for going on the potty and I just do not know what else to try.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! This is what we are doing - I have her in training pants with the plastic diaper covers over them. I am putting her on the potty but not pushing things at all - and we are successful about 50% of the time over the past few days. She is wearing pullups to daycare, but I also send along extra pants and training pants for her to try. Fingers crossed, we will see some more success soon.

I know it sounds mean, but make her sit until she pees. This has worked for more than one of mine. They may sit for a LONG time, but once they realize they don't get to get up until they pee, they usually go right away every time.

The most valuable thing I learned from potty training my son is that kids do it successfully exactly when they're ready and not a moment before. You can provide them with an environment that is ready for them to make the leap, but you can't *make* them do it until their bodies and minds are ready. 2-1/2 is really very young, still. I'd say take a break from it before it becomes a huge power struggle. I promise, she's not going to go to kindergarten in diapers.

I'd say remove the underwear from the drawer for awhile, give her a choice in the morning of diaper or pull-up, and tell her that she can have the underwear back when she's ready to pee in the potty - no shame, no pressure, it's totally fine for her to be in diapers still, no big deal. She may pitch a fit at first, but if she's really ready to train, it also may be the thing that pushes her over the edge. If she's not ready, then it'll give her the break that she needs for her body to catch up with her desire for "big girl underwear."

I know this will sound mean, but make her wash out her own wet panties and clean up any mess on the floor or wherever! I did this with one of my children and it worked wonderfully--it only took two times washing them out to make her understand it was a lot easier going potty in the toilet rather than in her panties!

P. S. Of course, you will have to monitor the washing and make sure she washes her hands after etc--but make sure she is doing the scrubbing!

Maybe you could try dribbling a little luke warm water down her front side so she gets that feeling of going. It's supposed to work with infants, but I'm not sure about toddlers. May be worth a try.

I would say if she hates to wear diapers and pull-ups, and she doesn't care if she is wet, make her wear the diapers or pull-ups.. Tell her she has to wear them if she will not pee in the "big girl potty". It sounds like to me, she really does no how to be a big girl and can be fully potty trained just being a normal difficult little girl. I think they are all like that specially at this age.
I would just make her wear the diapers or pull-ups until she decides to start peeing in the potty. If she wants to be difficult, you can be difficult as well. She will learn it works both ways!!!! Good luck

Hi, ugh. Very frustrating. Try these two things and see if they work. THey worked for me. First tell her she can wear big girl undies when she goes pee in the potty everytime for one week. Two, if she can sit on the potty by herself, leave the room. Perhaps she is intimidated or uncomfortable with you in there. Pee is noisier than poop and maybe she doesn't want you to hear her pee. I hope this helps. - K.

For my son it was all about the underwear, its all he cared about. So we would start the day in underwear and then when he peed in them we would take them away and make him wear a pull up. He hated not getting to wear his underwear so much that he finally stop wetting them. and we would make a big deal about not peeing on thomas or diego (what ever underwear he wanted).
Good Luck, every kid is different.

She is trying but just hasn't developed the muscle control yet to know how to relax when she is on the potty for pee. It will probably come soon for her since she has figured out pooping. Keep things positive and unstressed. Now that it is coming up on summer, let her run around outside with no clothes and a potty nearby. If you do any coaching when she is on the potty it should revolve around her trying to relax as much as possible.

1 / 3