Potty Training 2 Year Old BOY

I was looking for any help in potty training a boy. I've only previously potty trained a girl and have no idea how to do it with a boy. Do they sit? Stand? Any advice is helpful. He seems pretty ready. I know a lot of people say boys tend to train at a later age, but he lets me know when has pee pee and poo poo in his diaper and lets me change him. He has also gone pee pee in the regular toilet with daddy. He knows when he has to pee, because when he gets in the tub he aims in this one particular spot and pees. Then claps his hands. I think he's ready. I just don't know how to train him with the potty. Thanks for your help!!!

I just wanted to say I'm very appreciative of everyone's support and great ideas!! I will let you know how it goes. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! You girls rock:)

I have a 4 year old boy and he wasn't ready until he was 3 for the potty. I just got a stool for him and one of those padded seats. He didn't like sitting on the padded seat so when he needed to poo I would put him on the regular seat backwards. He has always stood to go pee and hasn't had any problems with aiming. He's tall enough now to stand without the stool which makes it nicer when we're out at the store. My husband found a little board book that has a button that you push and it makes the sound of a toilet flushing and a little boy laughing. It's titled "It's Potty Time" and is published by Smart Kids Publishing. The website reference on the back is www.pentonoverseas.com but I haven't ever looked at their website. My son loved this book and still loves to have me read it to him sometimes. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Dear M.,

If he is going to stand at the toilet, he will need a stool. My m-in-law's advice was to have them sit backwards on the toilet - otherwise (sitting) they pee through the crack between the toilet and the seat.

I have a now 7 year old boy with autism and it was no easy thing to potty train him and he was 5 for pee and 6 for poo if that tells you anything, so have no fear, if he can be trained, any child can! Of all places for great advice, Dr Phil's website has a great resource for potty training. I had to put together about 3 or 4 different plans to work for my son but he was a special case. i did use some of Dr. P's info though and it was helpful. It seems an unlikely spot but you can actually train a ready child in a weekend if you are ready to stick to your guns and do only that for a weekend and be prepared to never go back. Hope that's helpful.

P.

Dear M.,
I watched recently as my daughter potty trained her triplets - 2 boys and a girl. What she did was set the timer on the oven for 1 hour at a time and took them to the potty when the buzzer went off. Soon they learned that when the buzzer went off, it was time to go potty. Although they did have accidents from time to time, it was only a short time until they learned. Also, she waited until she was sure they were old enough to connect going potty on the toilet vs. going in their diaper. Hope this helps. P.S. The boys and the girl both sat until the boys were old enough to want to stand.
Hope this helps..
M. P

Dear M.,

We started our son on the potty just before his bath every night, mainly because, just like you said, every time he got in, he would pee. So, we took that as a good place to start. I had bought him the "Once Upon a Potty" potty, but my son was deathly afraid of it! So, I ended up just buying a padded seat with a "splash guard". Every night before I started running the bathwater, I would take off his diaper and sit him on the potty. Then run the water, as this helps with the "flow of things", and he would go. Once he started getting used to this, I would start asking him throughout the day if he wanted to sit on the potty and it just went on from there. As for standing up versus sitting on the potty, that "want/need/question" didn't come until I put him in Preschool and he saw the older/taller boys doing it. Then he was interested. He still wasn't quite tall enough to reach yet, but as soon as he was, I had my husband teach that part! :)

My son is now 3-1/2 years old, and is potty trained during the day, but still wears pull-ups at night as I just don't have the heart to wake him! He is pretty good at getting up each morning and going potty first thing, so I am assuming that he will start getting up at night to go as well, in his own time. We'll have to wait and see how long that will take!

Anyhow, I hope this helps! Just keep in mind that every child is different, but it does really seem that your son is ready! (By the way, everyone that I talked to said to let them run around naked; of course, they all had girls! I was not willing to do that with a boy as he would probably have "enjoyed" it more than disliked it, since boys are built differently than girls!)

Take care and good luck!

i have to two boys and am currently training my youngest who is two...my oldest had no problem potty training he was fully potty trained my two and a half...and we started at one and a half because thats when he told me he made shi shi or doo doo...my youngest is more hard headed about the whole thing, but what i think is that if they seem ready give it a try, dont ever force though, thats when they get turned off from the whole thing...what i did though is train them sitting down, the same as a girl...i would take the boys to the bathroom when i went so they could see me sit down and just tell them that mommy is making shi shi and they would see it...after sit them down...then let them have their time watching daddy stand up and pee and then after they master the sitting down or show interest in standing up then let them give it a try...i just bought a step stool and thats that...

I started potty training my son at around 27 months and he has done really well. It did take him longer to figure out the poop than the pee. I started him sitting down until he could distinquish and gain control over whether he pooped or peed. The only problem with that is that boys can't sit with their legs together and pee, so you end up having to take a shoe and one leg of his pants and underwear off. Also, we waited until he was tall enough to stand up and pee in the potty. It was less mess that way, too. Do start the training for putting the seat down as soon as he is finished when you do, that way there are no accidents for you and your girls in the middle of the night!! Good luck!

Hello, happy trails on your road to potty training. I have a 5 yr old boy and he was sooooo easy he was ready at 18 months. We trained him on the regular toilet no small seat but with a padded seat and step stool. I actually tried a little chair and he wanted nothing to do with it since he saw all of us using the big potty. Sitting down is best until they get the idea then around 2.5 or 3 years is when they start to stand up and we used fruit loops since they are more colorful ( a learning tool tell him to shoot for a blue )
Thanks,

My son told me he was a big boy and didn't need diapers anymore one month before he turned two. I have potty trained many children with special needs as a teacher, but I wasn't ready to start so soon with my son... He was, however!!

We started on a Monday, and by the next Monday, he was doing well enough to go out, run errands with me, and has had few mistakes since then (he is 2 1/2) He is not mature enough to stay dry during the night, and has just started staying dry for naps.

How I did it: I always have boys standing up. This way you don't need to re-teach, and you get fewer wet pants (and showers!)due to boys having difficulty aiming down from a sitting position without disrobing. At home, I have a stool for him to stand on, and in public, I have him stand on my foot, or hold him under the arms slightly so he can clear the toilet. He watched Daddy, and still goes with him every time possible. I set the timer for every hour, and we would TRY, never force. He had to look at the toilet, but could tell me no. Then set the timer for 10 minutes, then 5 min until he went or had an accident, then we started back at 1 hour. ( give unlimited fluid) When we went out, we pottied at home, first thing at the store, and before leaving the store.

Start before bathtime for a few weeks, so he can see how the toilet works for him, then carry it out to the rest of the day if he likes it, and is ready.

Hope that helps!

1 / 3