Potty Training - Boulder City, NV

My daughter just turned three and is doing great with using the bathroom. However, I have no idea how to teach to wipe all the potty off herself. She does what she can then gets off the toilet and there is potty all over the seat and her legs. Is there any suggestions? I know she just needs practice but it is a messy process.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I do check to make sure she is clean. And I don't expect her to take care of the BM yet. I just needed some ideas on how to explain it to her. Thank you for everyone's help.

Great she's potty trained, but she's still a little young to do it by herself. Still show her and let her do some of it, but you still need to finish the job. Good luck.

My 4 and a half year old still can't wipe herself well when she poops, only when she pees. Three is way too young, you need to wipe her for awhile. I think around 5 - it is hard to coordinate for little arms and hands. Also, if it is getting messy when she tries, she may give herself a bladder or vaginal infection if she gets poop near the front. So I'd do it for her for now.

At three, most kids need help in this area. To assist, you may want to try those wet, flushable wipes. They get more off. But, kids at three years are just not capable yet to do it completely themselves. Practice makes perfect, but they need alot. Praise really works. Be positive with what she has done. In another year, she will probably be able to get it all off herself.

She just turned 3. In addition to what Julia M. said... just have patience with her. At this age, their fine motor skills are still not exact either. Even at 5 years old....some kids still need help with it. It's okay.

I believe, still assist her. In time, as each child is different... she will "get it." With girls, make sure you teach them to wipe in the "front to back" direction so they don't get infections....and to NEVER use the same toilet paper to wipe the front and back. But even at this age, they will get confused. So supervise or help wipe her yourself.

It won't happen overnight. For me, with my girl at that age, I wiped her. I didn't expect her to wipe herself... or have the precise coordination for it, yet. Also, my girl didn't like to have "skid marks" on her panties. Which happens. Also, sometimes it's just not easy for them to sit, then twist their body & arms back to then reach their bum to wipe ALL at the same time... plus without getting it all over the place. Heck I remember while pregnant, it was hard to twist and reach too!

Obviously, your girl, with the poop getting all over the place, needs assistance. No punishment needed. It's normal. Just help her... explain how, and through repetition, that is how they learn. Over time.

Here's some links:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pediatrics-1429/teaching-child...
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/8/586186
http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/potty/wiping.html
http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/how-to-teach-your-...

I think it's great that your daughter is potty training! Don't worry too much about her learning how to wipe all by herself right now. I have a 3 1/2 yr. old daughter and I still wipe her when she goes #2 and figure she'll get it when she's a little older. I let her try herself first, then I finish her up before we're all done. She wipes herself when she goes #1. I also have a 6yr old son and did the same with him and he's a great little wiper now! Just concentrate on praising your daughter for going potty on her own. Keep up the great work and good luck!

My 3 year old is also training. I remind her to keep her legs together so she doesn't "spray" the wrong way. I also encourage her to wipe herself as much as possible and let her watch me do the same. When it comes to pooping, I think you'll have to help with that for a little while, but the wet flushable wipes help a lot too.

Hi C.:
Congrats on your daughters latest acomplishment.This will certainly make things alot easier for you,in that, you will only have one in diapers now.whewww. huh? The most important thing, for your daughter to learn, is which way to wipe herself.If shes making a mess, it sounds like shes confused as to which direction she wipes.It's important, that she doesn't wipe from the back forward. This can cause not only a mess, but infections for her in the future.she needs to be shown by example, to wipe from the front to back. This is difficult for them, as they have short little arms,and have problems reaching back.Teach her to raise her bottom up a little ,so its easier for her.You may want to leave her some baby wipes on the sink,so she could use those to help clean up after.Theres nothing better than learning from example.Show her a few times,and she will catch on.I wish you and your growing daughter the best

In your statement you say she doesn't wipe all of the "potty" off of her. What is that? Pee Or Poop? If it is pee, then I wouldn't worry about it to much...it's just pee. But, if it is poop, then I would try to keep showing her and inforcing the inportance of cleaning herself well. FRONT TO BACK!!!! That way she will not get bladder infections.

1 / 3