Postpartum Meals

Hi Mamas! I am due with my first little bundle toward the end of the month and I'm really gearing up in the cooking department. What are some good foods and meals to prepare and freeze? My husband isn't a very good cook and I think I'd like easy things that no matter who's here to help me can just stick in the oven and leave for me to take out. Easy lunches and dinners are best.

HI L.,
I see you have gotten lots of ideas. If you want more, you can go to onceamonthmom. com
My friends and I have cooked her meals and really enjoy them.
However, DO NOT try to do on of the entire cooking days. It is a very long day - but the recipes all freeze well.
To find them, look at the 'menus' then you can look at different months to get ideas.

Most hearty soups as long as there are no potatoes or pasta in them until you reheat them. You also could go with the old lasagna, enchiladas, broccoli/rice/chicken casserole, chicken tettrazini (sp?). Good luck!

Try the following:

2 lbs ground meat
1can each cream mushroom & chicken
1 small/medium block Velveeta (chunked)
1 small can Old El Paso chopped green chilies
2 can enchilada sauce (I use mild)
1 small diced onion
Flour Tortillas

brown ground meat with onion and green chilies
add remaining ingredients
simmer 'til creamy

Get 9X13 cake pan. Use slotted spoon to dip out filling and roll in tortilla. Place in the end of the pan. Keep filling and rolling 'til pan is full. Stir remaining filling and pour over rolled tortillas 'til pan is full. Place any remaining filling in bown for chip dip.

Bake in 350 degree oven 30-45 minutes. Use knife to cut rolls in half and scoop out with spatula. This recipe keeps GREAT and is just as good after freezing. We top servings with a handful of salad and catalina dressing or picante for a great meal. You can also put refried or ranch style beans with it.

:-) Enjoy

Here is one of my "go-to" recipes for us when I'm rushed, want to put something in the freezer for later, or to take to someone else.

Chicken Spaghetti

Spaghetti - about 7 - 8 oz. dry
2 - 3 C cut-up, cooked chicken
1 can Cream of Chicken or Mushroom soup
½ - ¾ C milk
¾ lb. Velveeta, cut into small cubes
Nature's Seasons or salt & pepper – to taste

Cook spaghetti; drain. Combine all ingredients in 1½ - 2 qt. casserole or may be divided into smaller dishes. Bake at 350° about 30 min. till bubbly. (Vary amount of milk, cheese, & seasonings according to your taste. Freezes well. May need to add a little milk when reheating leftovers.)

Chopped broccoli or peas can also be added in with the other ingredients before baking for a complete meal in one dish.

Then just add a salad or vegetable and garlic bread to complete the meal.

Something like Super Suppers, Dream Dinners, or Dinner Station would be great. I did that before my second was born.

I have an 11 month old and a 2 year old. The thing that has saved me is using my crockpot! Infants are always fussiest in the evenings when you should be preparing dinner... so if you can prepare you dinner in the morning and let it cook all day, it is ready when you need it the most!
Good luck and congrats!
A.

Here is another recipe to add to your list that you've already gotten: Crock Pot Lasagna. I actually made some for after I gave birth and also for my SO when he had to be isolated for two weeks. It freezes really well and is easy to divide up.

Crock Pot Lasagna

-1 lb sausage
-1 lb hamburger (or use any type of ground meat that you want as long as you have 2 lbs)
-2 reg size jars spaghetti sauce
-1 box macaroni shells or any type shell pasta (about 16 oz dry)
-16 oz sour cream
-8 oz shredded mozzerella cheese
-8 oz provolone cheese (or whatever kind you wish)

Brown and drain meat. Add spaghetti
sauce to meat. Mix well. Cook and drain shells. Layer ingredients in large crock pot in this order: sauce, shells, cheese, sour cream--end with cheese. Heat on low for 3 hrs until all the cheese melts. Enjoy!!!

Meatloaf, lasagna, enchilada casserole, chili... Two words of warning, though. I was STARVED in those first few weeks--bf'ing made me hungry ALL the time--so hearty is good. BUT, DD turned out to have food sensitivities: me eating anything spicy or with onions or garlic meant we were all up all night with a gassy, screaming baby. So we had to change course dramatically on what we planned to cook. I think the meatloaf was the only thing on the list above that I could safely eat, in the end. But hopefully your little one will be a bit more agreeable! GL!

I know there are books about once a month cooking you could buy or find at the library that would give you ideas for meals that freeze well - plus they often have the ingredients portioned out for how many dinners of that meal you want to make. I have, Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, and I know that Super Suppers has a book, too. You can even just google about OAMC recipes. Also, something I do that seems to help is to just cook up ground beef, some with onions and some without, as well as chicken breasts and freeze them in ziplock bags according to how much we would use for one meal (always using enough so we'll have leftovers). This makes it really easy to just throw something together because the meat is already ready (especialy when you are getting tired of casseroles).
Good luck and God bless. Be sure enjoy this last childless time with your hubby, too - You will never have it again. ;)

I made lasagna a full tray cut in pieces and froze. Also meatballs (mix ground beef with pkg chicken stove top stuffing) and freeze (makes good meatballs) I also froze homemade pizza and casseroles. Best of luck to u my dear! Mine little guy is 6 months old now.....its wonderful !

1 / 3