Postpartum Hair Loss... When Did It Stop, and Grow Back for You?

4 months postpartum and my hair is FALLING OUT like crazy.... Im sure I lost 1/3 of my hair already!!!

How was it for you?

It stopped at 5 months.... but I lost a lot of hair :-((((

That happened with both my kids, it starte at about 3 mo. and feel out like I was a rapidly balding man, but at about 6 mo. It slowed down to almost a stop and now I have little whispys in my hair from where it is trying to grow back. It incredibly annoying, but have heart, it does grow back and the falling out stops. Just another one of those things that people forget to tell us before we go and have kids. :) :)

Been there... after my twins I lost about 1 or 2 inches right around my face & had to change my hair style to try to hide it. I added bangs & went shorter. I can't tell you when it started to get better, but it did grow back & now I can't tell that it ever happened, but I do have pics. to prove it. My boys are 2 1/2 years now. Hang in there!

That happened to me too! It was right around 5-6 months and seemed to last about 2-3 months. I was convince that if it kept up I would be bald but still have a full head of hair.

This happened to me and I was so distraught about it that I cut my long hair into a short bob. Having long hair made it seem like much more was falling out then really was. Once it stopped falling out (a couple of months later) it started to grow back and I had a ton of baby hair along my hairline. I had thick bangs cut and it totally hid the new hair growth! I always wanted bangs but was scared to try them. This was a blessing in disguise for me:)

Good luck! Maybe you can get a new hairstyle out of this too!

Oh, I don't really remember when the shedding stopped. It can be different for different people based upon how your body rids itself of the pregnancy hormones.

Usually, the hair won't grow back - it's simply stopped shedding during most of your pregnancy and is sloughing off what didn't come out during that time.

Unfortunately, with our second child, I was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks after her birth and lost most of my hair during chemo, so I didn't have a normal postpartum experience.

I would say you'll probably be returning to normal soon. But, your OB/GYN should be able to provide you a better idea of what is normal.

My understanding is that pregnancy hormones slow down your normal rate of hair loss, so you end up with more hair for awhile. This normalizes after your hormones change again, but you shed only the extra hair you held onto for a few months.

My experience was that I started out with thin hair, got thicker hair during pregnancy, and within 3-4 months after giving birth, had the same thin hair I had before becoming pregnant.

I haven't heard any moms claim they ended up with less hair. Until menopause, anyway, when it can become either finer or more wiry, and sometimes thinner, as well.

I hear ya! I had my daughter 4 1/2 mo ago and it's been falling out like crazy! When I had my son, my hair fell out, although it wasn't this much. It took about 6 mo or so to grow back. But when it grew back, it was healthier. If for some reason you are worried about it, you could always check with your doctor. There's always Nioxin too...which I'm thinking of trying myself. ;) They sell it at most salons.

I had the same thing with all four babies, but it was worse with the last. It was up to a year that handfulls of hair would come out. It finally stopped when I stopped nursing and my hormones went back to normal.

1 / 3