Posting for a Friend - 6 Year Old Has a Crush - HELP!

My son is 6 years old and I think he has his 1st crush on a girl in his class. He giggles and says that she is his girlfriend and always draws pictures and gives her little things. I have tried to talk to him about it, but I am not sure if I am just getting worried about nothing. How can I explain this to him without distroying him for life!!!

Thank you all for your responses. I have let her know your input and she will go from there. I think its terrific that there are so many moms out there and I think this is a great forum! Lots of input! Thanks again ladies!

He's 6 and has a crush so he's 6 and has a crush! no need to explain anything he's 6. This is his little friend not the girl he's going to marry. There is no need to discuss anything no need to explain no need to butt in, he's showing kindness to someone he likes someone, who must be nice to him. Trying to explain anything will confuse him and make him think he may be doing something wrong by showing kindness. When he punches another little boy in the nose for trying to talk to his lady , then there will be a need for discussion, till then no need.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless the girl feels he is bothering her, or he doesn't seem friendly with other kids. If everyone is fine with it, it will pass quickly. You want him to trust you, so overreacting now could mean that he won't talk to you about girls later--when you really need to know what's happening!

Why is your friend so worried? How fun. This is the time to teach about being a good friend and enjoying those innocent crushes. JMVHO.

Why are you worried????? Didn't you ever have a crush when you were young? You don't start talking to kids about having "relationships" when they are older - these are perfect examples of when life lessons can be taught! Talk to him about "it's always nice to have friends who are boys, as well as friends who are girls" - then talk to him about all his friends and how it's nice to have friends. As long as he isn't bothering her, touching her constantly, trying to kiss her or is acting out in class, why is this bad????? If it were a huge issue, you would have heard from the teacher already. It's innocent and we should let out children enjoy their innocence as long as it is in the parameters of decent behavior. Thinking that you could "destroy him for life" really means that you have to work on your approach so that you are not overreacting, (good mantra: RESPOND - don't REACT!) especially when these moments are only the building blocks to bigger issues, later in life. Good luck!

Relax, what are you worried about? The bigger deal you make of it the bigger deal it will become. Just say something like, Oh, how nice that you have Susie for a friend. It is important for kids to know it is ok to have a friend of the opposite sex. My kindergartener still fondly recalls her "best friend, Nathan" from preschool. One night when I was laying with her in bed she asked, "M., how can I get Nathan to love me as much as I love him?". My response was, just enjoy having him for a friend. It was so cute!

omg y is this such a big step!!! its just a crush & its completely normal.UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry... the child is 6 and so innocent in his thoughts -- the crush will probably pass by the next year when she is in a different class or when he gets distracted by playing with his friends. Relax, it's a crush

Normal! Don't worry about it! Keep your eye on it if you are concerned but otherwise, he's still young!!!! If you need to have a talk - keep it simple and to his age level.

I wouldn't worry about it...my son had a "girl friend" named Annabelle when he was in first grade. I simply told him that was nice. He talked about her often and one day I saw Annabelle..she was about a foot taller than him and of a different race! My husband and I just laughed over it that evening. Nothing ever came of it, of course...I just thought it was nice that he wasn't looking at color of skin or that she was a very large girl. Don't worry!

1 / 3