Post Op Pain Meds for Wisdom Teeth Extraction, Did You Take Them?

Ok to make a long story short I am getting my wisdom teeth out on friday and have not saved any breast milk for my 11 month old breastfed baby. He does eat everything but does not drink anything but booby.My questions are a) anyone else ever been through this b4 and what did you do? Any one else ever had wisdom teeth out with out pain meds? I have two back up plans: I am going to try to pump today and tomorrow and I am also gonna try to not take the post op pain meds so I can breastfeed but I know that is probably not gonna happen. Thanks for your help mamma's!

I had all 4 out at once (they were impacted) and did NOT use the pain meds afterwards. Trust me, I would have if I had needed them. I was in my early 20s though - don't know if that helped me.

Remember-there is a difference between soreness and pain-soreness is annoying-and pain is like-"will someone just shoot me?" Maybe you won't need something for pain-but then there's inflamation...Maybe, for baby, some formula mixed with a little fruit juice to make it palatable?? In a cup??? Good luck..

Me! I had mine removed when I was around 20 (can't remember exactly) and did not take any pain meds. My Dr. was creepy but he did a great job.
The only real pain I had was where the IV was.

Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Vicodin and Percocet are both safe to take while breastfeeding. These are the prescriptions available after giving birth and they're also what dentists give after dental work. I have taken both while nursing. Good luck!

I just had my last wisdom tooth out a couple weeks ago. They gave me tylenol 3 & its ok to take while breastfeeding (Im nursing) A small amount passes through, but it had no effect on my DD. I find advil or motrin to be MUCH more effective though. I resorted to T3 when I ended up with "dry socket" from drinking through a straw too soon after the extraction. Follow the after care carefully to avoid that, that pain was worse than childbirth!

i'm astonished that it was not a big deal for so many! i had all four out at once (under anesthesia) and i NEEDED those strong pain meds for the next couple of days.
but i'm sure your doc can prescribe something that will have minimal impact on your breast milk. good luck!
khairete

I got mine pulled at 19 and didn't take any pain meds. I didn't need them.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at once when I was younger. It was a bigger procedure b/c they were all impacted. I took pain meds (vicadin I think) but they made me very nauseous b/c I didn't eat. It took a few days to start to feel better.

After my c-sect they gave Tylenol w/ codeine if I remember correctly and they strongly recommended that I take it so I could function better with the pain. I only took 1/2 of what they told me since I didn't want to much to get into the milk for my preterm baby.

My other to labors I tore while giving birth and they gave advil and said I could get something stronger if I need it.

My children didn't have any side effects that I noticed and they all thrived and did wonderfully.

When necessary I believe pain meds are ok-even preferable if it helps you do a better job at keeping up with all your mommy duties ;)

Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Please tell your dentist that you are nursing so that he can prescribe the appropriate meds. After a C-section, Mom's are given strong pain medication even if nursing so it should be fine. You can even call ahead and see what they will be prescribing and contact the pediatrician and look up on line if the Medication is considered safe while nursing. Good luck and feel better soon.

There's a post below about wisdom teeth being pulled. I noted there that having my wisdom teeth out was the worst pain of my life. TAKE the medication!!! My dentist put me on too low a dosage and it was excruciating. Do NOT skip the pain medication! The mouth is a very sensitive area. I think I cried for six or seven hours straight in agony until my parents looked up information about my medication and realized the dosage was wrong. Pain medication is not optional.

ETA: My pain threshold is very high. I delivered a face-first baby and got by on Ibuprofen after delivery. I'm definitely not a delicate flower.

The thing that really helped after my wisdom teeth were pulled was icing a LOT; they gave me a special disposable ice bag that wrapped from one cheek, under my chin, and up to the other cheek and I basically kept it on much of the first 2 days if I remember right. Don't feel bad if you need the pain meds; as long as your MD OKs them for breastfeeding, they should be safe.

1 / 3