Possibly Relocating to Raleigh Area

Hi Moms,
My husband, 3 y/o daughter & I are considering relocating to the Raleigh area. Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to safe, family oriented neighborhood w/ good schools. We were told good things about Cary & the Prestonwood club.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We just relocated here from Kansas, and love it! Northwest Raleigh is really nice in the Brier Creek area. The school is great, people are very friendly. We love it so far. :)

North Raleigh is usually a safe bet however you do still have pockets of neighborhoods that aren't the best. Those other two areas are great however, depending on what you all do for work you may have to still travel into Raleigh. We could always hook you up with great realtors if you should need that.

I moved here about 2 1/2 yrs ago and I live off of Leesville Road, one of the best school systems in Wake County as well as Millbrook, I have an Aunt who lives in Cary, she is a retired School teacher and it is a beautiful area with great schools as well.

Best wishes!

I grew up in this area and am currently raising two young girls here. In my opinion, the best neighborhoods are Falls River/Bedford, Quail Hollow, and Summerfield North. Wake Forest is growing quickly and has some good neighborhoods as well (my favorite is the Heritage). I hope this helps.

I have to agree with Elizabeth. I live in the 27603 zip code (South Raleigh) and love it. I am literally 5 minutes from downtown Raleigh on one side, and 5 minutes from the countryside and cows on the other. The location is fantastic. My only suggestion is move to an area where you do not have to commute down I-40/440 to get to work. I ride over I-40 everyday and thank god I don't have to sit in that miserable traffic.
I grew up in a Raleigh where Cary and Apex were both small country "bumpkin" towns. It makes me laugh now to see how "elitist" the towns has become, esp with the kind of restrictions they place on citizens now for just about everything (not to mention how pricey those areas have become). It's insane...
Wake County has wonderful schools, so you have it covered there.
Good luck with your decision and move!

Hi there!

I actually live right in the Preston area (but not in Preston) and have since '92. I have 2 children, an 8 year-old and an 11 year-old (getting ready for middle school). I personally love this area and feel very safe living here.

I am not sure where you are moving from and how schools are handled there, but here your children may be "re-assigned" to a different school every year. Luckily, my children have attended a school where we have escaped the re-assignment, but I do have friends whose children have gone to a different school 4-years in a row, only to end up at the school they started at! My purpose in saying this is not against the schools (which seem great in this area) but that it is difficult, to say the least, on the children to be shifted around so much.

Cary is a great area (used to live there) and so is North Raleigh which is where I currently live. The Wakefield, Bedford areas are very nice, family oriented communities. There is a high school, middle school and elementary school all next to one another in addition to a YMCA as well. I have a little girl (16 months) and we specifically moved to the Wakefield area to take advantage of these resources.

I wouldn't move here. We are on major water restrictions here due to a severe drought and can't keep up with the growth that we currently have including overun schools, etc.

Preston is beautiful! pricy, but the houses on the golf course are worth it! We live in Cary Park. We first picked a house in Bedford and thank goodness we didn't buy there. The word is it can take about 20 minutes just to get out of the development! My husband works in RTP and West Cary is very convenient. Lot sizes are about .25 acre, not so big. I feel in this part of the triangle your best bet is Apex for price and land. I have to say I am from Jersey and have lived here for a year and a half. So far so good. It is getting more congested especially the past few months but is nothing compared to the NJ/NY area.

1 / 3