Possibe Mirena Problems After 3 Years of No Problems

I have had a Mirena IUD for over 3 years now., and up until about 3 months ago I had pretty much no period, and no complications at all. I was very happy with it. Then all of a sudden, I get a period, but not a normal one and it lasted for a couple weeks. Then it went away, and a couple weeks later it happened again. It hasn't been consistent, or "normal". I have been experiencing cramping as well, which is also out of the blue.....varying from mild cramps to mind numbing. We are military, and in the process of moving.....staying with family through the holidays.....so I don't have a doctor. But I am concerned because I don't want there to be anything wrong, and I don't want to be unprotected if the IUD has moved and possible get pregnant. Is this just me, my body being weird, or is it caused by the Mirena?

OK, this is a long time coming, but hopefully it could help someone else.
I found out that the Mirena (IUD) was still in place, so that wasn't the issue. I was told that it possibly had "run out" early (of the hormone, but I was still protected because of the device itself). I had still be spotting (from barely nothing...yet still something.......to more bleeding like a normal period / and cramping, again, mild to mind numbing)....since this occurred every two weeks, sometime FOR two weeks, it wasn't very ideal and never had I longed for a normal period like I had. The Dr. said it was normal, yet annoying.......SO I decided to have it removed. It was a very simple procedure, painless, I didn't even feel anything. I had a few days of spotting, then a very heavy yet "NORMAL" period....and I feel like my body is finally getting back on track. I am excited at the thought of having a normal cycle, yes, there I said it. Hahahaha. Anyhow, hope this helps, and thank ya'll for the advice.

You could have fibroids, or your IUD could have moved. Get it checked out. they will probably order a sono.

This is absolutely an emergency. Do not wait, find a Doctor or do as someone else suggested and go to the ER. My IUD migrated two years ago and I had to have it surgically removed! Luckily we caught it in time, but if we hadn't it could have done damage and/or made me sterile. It could happen to you - at the very least, as you mentioned, you could get pregnant, and carrying a baby with an IUD is risky. Please don't let this go, get it taken care of asap! Good luck!

Call tricare and speak to someone about what is going on and ask them how to proceed. Tell them that you do not have time to wait for a referral because you will not get it in the mail since you are in limbo.They will usually tell you what you need to do. Also, if they tell you to get a referral, have yuor PCM mark it as urgent and they will get to it as soon as possible.

I have found Tricare to be very helpful and if someone is not, say thank you, hang up and call back. You should get someone different. I do not know anything about IUD's but if it does not feel right to you, then do not delay getting it checked out.

You need to be medically evaluated immediately. If you can not get an urgent appointment with a doctor in your local area, then present yourself to any ER. WHen attempting an office GYN appointment be sure to use the words: urgent, bleeding, severe cramping to the point of nearly passing out. You must not wait another minute, inconvenient as this time of year makes any extra needs. You owe this to yourself and your family.

I only had mine for 2.5 months but had 2 periods the month after it was inserted. Dr. said that happens sometimes and not to worry. I went to get evaluated 6 weeks after insertion to make sure everything was ok and the darn thing had come loose! I had no cramping or any other pain, just the 2 periods. Definitely have it checked. She had to reinsert a new one that same day.

D.,

You need to have your IUD checked! If you aren't near a MTF that has an OB/GYN clinic, call your PCM and get a referral asap. Do it before you move so you aren't worried about it and have to deal with it over the holidays. Tell them you need an appointment asap because you are moving and are going out of town for the holidays. Put some urgency in your voice and tell them you are in pain. If they can't make an appointment for you before you are supposed to leave, then go to the ER and deal with Tricare later.

You know your body better than anyone else and it's trying to tell you something. If it turns out to be nothing then you will be relieved, but if it moved or is embedded you could have some serious consequences. Follow your instincts and get it checked by a GYN.

1 / 3