Positive Quad Reading

I am 42 and 20 weeks pregnant. I just have a quad test done when I was 19 weeks along it came back positive with a 1:149 change of my baby having down's. I go to see a genetics counselor and have a level 2 ultra sound done on March 28th.
The waiting is driving crazy. I had a subchronic hemerage with my first child who is now 6. she is very Healthy and Smart. I just wanted to have a non stress pregnancy and bam. Angry and Confused

My son Ethan is healthy and smart too. He also has Down Syndrome (it's not Down's guys. That drives parents crazy) OK, so right now he has a cold and a fever of 101. Anybody elses kid sick? And he is developmentally delayed, but his Kindgergarten teacher says there are all kinds of smart and HE, is smart. We chose not to do any tests. So glad I did. I would have worried too, and that really is awful. We miscarried twice before Ethan, and worrying about losing another one was enough. Was it scary news, yes, but has it been awful-not all all. If you do get tested, please have good counseling before you make any decisions. 3-21 is World Down Syndrome day. Let's Celebrate their lives well worth living!

The quad test is made to catch absolutely all positive results, so there are a lot of false positives to allow for a margin of error. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. You'll find out more at the ultrasound.

I also had a positive quad, did the ultrasound which indicated reduced odds and then an amnio which confirmed no chromosomal abnormality. When you have the ultrasound they will probably talk to you about the results and explain what they mean. Ask lots of questions if they don't.

The waiting is hard, but we decided the testing was the best decision for us because we wanted to be prepared mentally and have time to do research and be informed, etc depending on the outcome.

I think the test comes back pos for anyone over 35. I am 39 years old and decided not to do any testing becides the regular u/s at my ob office. I now have a healthy 3 week old.

I had those tests when I was 40 and pregnant - my Dr. told me that the quad screen comes back "false positive more than 50% of the time". Since I was having other issues - she was SURE that mine would be positive because among other things - I had a "twin demise". She was so shocked that it came back negative that she had them run it again - as a single pregnancy - and again as a twin pregnancy. I opted NOT to have the the amnio - as there was a 1 in 40 chance of spontaneous miscarriage - and we decided that we wouldn't terminate the pregnancy anyway so it wasn't worth finding out for us. As my genetic counselor and perinatoligist told me - birth and checking the baby in person will be the only true test. Try not to be stressed - I know it's hard. Pray, and talk to the baby and be calm - stress is bad for everyone, and it's in God's hands now. Good luck!

With our first baby we were told there was a 1:60 chance of Down Syndrome. That was determined by the blood work. We also had an ultra sound at the same time that did not show an increased risk. We chose not to have an amnio done because there is a very slight risk of miscarriage and we had just had a miscarriage scare. We had a more detailed ultrasound later that also showed no increased chance, but we didn't know for sure. One thing that helped me get through it was something our genetics counselor said. A 1:60 chance means that if you had 60 babies, one might have Down Syndrome. Did we do anything different? Not really. Made sure we chose a daycare that would take special needs babies, checked to be sure our insurance would cover things, read a book written by the mom of a boy with Down Syndrome, prayed a little more for wisdom in my parenting and for hope. Our daughter did not have Down Syndrome, but even if she had, it would not have changed how much we loved our baby girl. I have worked with people with Down Syndrome of all ages. They are some of the most amazing people I know and every one of them has made a positive impact on my life.

Hi M., I too had a positive Quad reading with a 1:4 chance of spina bifida or other defects. It was the scariest 2 weeks of my life waiting for my level II ultrasound. The good news is that everything looks fine. These tests are not positive or negative for the disease, but can show likely hood in percentages that have to do with many factors. Try very hard to remain calm and optimistic. I was speaking to my friends wife who works at an OBGYN office. She said that they have positive Quad screenings every day and in the 5 years working there only recalls one instance of there being an actual birth defect detected by this test. I wish I would have know that while I was waiting to be seen. Best of luck. keep us posted.

I know exactly what you're going through and it's very difficult. I'm surprised that your OB didn't suggest a CVS or amnio test before now given your age (any expectant mother over 35 is considered AMA - Advanced Maternal Age and already has an increased chance of chromosome abnormalities such as Down Syndrome. So, no disrespect to you, as I'm also AMA). Those tests are 99% accurate and can ease your mind within 1 day! The amnio might still be something you want to consider, and will be an option for you. I also had a quad screen come back with an increased risk of Down Syndrome. I think my odds were 1:110. We then did the Level 2 Ultrasound, where they checked several indicators on the baby for Down Syndrome (width of back of neck, nose bone structure, size of hands and feet, detailed heart eval). They didn't find any indicators, and we left it at that. My son does not have Down Syndrome.

One thing that helped me was knowing that my odds were still less than 1% of having a Down Syndrome baby. I knew there was still that chance, but the ultrasound put us at ease.

One thing you can do is call the clinic where you are meeting with the genetics counselor and having the ultrasound and ask them to notify you of any cancellations this week and that you will take any day any time. Maybe you'll luck out and get in earlier?

I wish you lots of luck!

False positives on that test are very, very high.

Don't worry! That's over 99% chance of having a healthy baby. Doesn't everyone over 35 have a level 2 ultrasound?

1 / 3