Positive for Group B Strep, Having Baby Tonight

So I had my 39 week checkup today, and my Bp was super high so Im being induced tonight at 7. My doctor also notified me today that I am group B strep positive and will need antiobiotics during delivery. I have been looking up some info online and from what I have been reading, its rare and a horrible thing to have especially if the baby gets it. Has anyone had positive results? What happened? Was baby healthy? Thanks in advance.

I was given antibiotics before I was given an 'emergency cesarean'. Even Homebirth and Birthing Clinic Midwives give the antibiotics before labor starts. It is common vaginal flora for majority of women, so don't go thinking you're gross or anything - because it means nothing.

I had it with my 2nd baby. It's fairly common, so just take the antibiotics they'll give you via IV and the baby will be fine. No issues! Good luck tonight!

Same here - I was positive with my daughter and she was fine. I did have a c-section so I needed to have antibiotics anyway but there were no issues whatsoever. From what I understand this is very common and the antibiotics keep everything under control. Don't worry. And congratulations!

If your dr's know, you should be just fine. I tested negative @ (37? 39?) wks, but when my baby was born she was re-admitted the next day w/ a fever...I'll spare you the details, but bottom line, turns out that by wk 41 when she was finally born, I had developed GBS and it was what was making the baby sick. (She is now 2 1/2, and 100% fine!) I looked into it alot after the fact, and the consensus was that if the dr's had known, it would have barely been an issue. Congrats, you two will be fine!!!!

I had it with my third child (not the previous two) and everything was fine. The antibiotics help to prevent you from transferring it to your child. You need to start the antibiotics at least 4 hours prior to delivery and you and baby will be just fine. It is EXTREMELY rare that you or baby will have any problems once delivery is over. Relax and enjoy your new little bundle of joy!

Group B Strep is very common and comes and goes. So I was positive with my first pregnancy but not my second. Antibiotics during delivery was no big deal. Good luck!

I tested positive for Group B Strep with my daughter, and I was given antibiotics every 4 hours during labor. My daughter was born perfectly healthy. She caught a cold when she was 3 days old (from my son, had nothing to do with the GBS). The cold didn't even have much of an effect on her and she has been a really healthy child ever since.

I had it with my first (not my second though) and all it meant was that I was on antiotbiotics when I first arrived for my induction. I also had to be in the hospital for 48 hours so they could ensure my daughter did not have it or if she showed signs, they could combat it right away. She never had any issues relating to the fact that I was positive.

Congrats on your baby....I'm sure you are busting with excitement!!

1 / 3