Pork Roast

I wanted to try something a little different this year for Christmas dinner. I was planning on doing a pork roast. It seemed like a really good idea when I planned my menu, but now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed! I've never bought or cooked a pork roast before. So, I'm looking for a little help! What kind of meat should I buy? How much will I need to feed 7 adults? And what is the best way to cook it? I was planning on doing some type of rub/marinade the night before and letting it sit in the fridge. I was hoping to use the crock pot, but I'm open to the oven. I will not be serving saurkraut (as a friends of mine suggested) because everyone but me hates it! My family has very traditional tastes, so anything too out of the ordinary wouldn't go over well. Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I really don't like ham, so I'm hoping I don't have to change my menu :D Thanks!

Thanks everyone! What great ideas!

Below is a link to the Food Network's website (www.foodnetwork.com). The recipe is called "Pork Tenderloin with Plum Sauce" It is fabulous!!! Don't let the plum sauce scare you away - it is not exotic at all (I've served it to picky eaters). It always gets rave reviews, and I have decided to make it on Christmas Eve this year. Super-easy and tenderloin is so moist it just falls apart. Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/pork-tender...

Hello S., to be quick and easy and very yummy. I put a pork loin in the crock pot with about 1-1/2 cups of water and I put salt and pepper in there. I cook it on med heat over night. In the early morning I add potatoes, carrots, or anything else (onions, celery) Good luck. B.

S.,

I have a wonderful recipe for a cranberry pork roast that you cook in the crockpot. It makes the whole house smell wonderful, and everyone in my family likes it. It's fairly simple, and is just a great holiday meal. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll email the recipe.

My MIL makes the best Pork Roast. She soaks a 4-5lb. roast in beer overnight (your choice of beer...she's used the cheap stuff or the good stuff) the beer tenderizes the meat and the alcohol cooks out. After soaking overnight, drain liquid and pat dry (be sure to get as dry as possible). Next, cover the roast in honey and roll in chopped pecans. Roast pork in an oven at 350 degrees about 1 to 1.5 hours or until internal temperature of pork reaches 170 degrees. Good luck!

Hi S.!
I made a pork loin for my family for Christmas Eve dinner last year and it went over well. If I remember right, I just rubbed it with a little olive oil and maybe some garlic and salt& pepper and baked it in the oven at about 325 for a few hours. Most roasts like that from Kroger's have basic cooking instructions on the label, so that should help. Your idea of a rub or marinade overnight sounds good, too. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

I just cooked pork roast last night!
I buy Pork Loin Sirloin End Roast.
I put it in a large roasting pan with a lid. I also put in Red New Potatoes cut in half I try to pick the smaller ones The first thing I do is spray the pan with pan and then put my seasoning in the bottom of the pan. I use Adobo which is a combination of garlic and salt and pepper and a few other spices.
Then put in the roast and put a lot more Adobo in the top then wash and cut potatoes in half and place them around the roast. It's okay if they are on top of each other. Put salt on the potatoes and then pour about 1/2 cup of Regular Olive Oil (not extra virgin because it will burn) over the roast and potatoes. Bake it in the oven for the first 30 min's at 500 then turn it down to 350 per pound for the rest of the time 30 min's per pound. My family and company Just love it. You can serve it with Apple sauce if you like and any Veggies The best part of this meal is it's easy!!
You can figure about 1/2 pound of meat per person. Take account the bone and if you want leftovers.

If you want to do a pork roast do one they are not hard to cook. As a rule of thumb if the people you are serving likes pork chops and such figure about 1/2 to 1lb of meat per person (pork roast also makes great leftover sandwiches. Unfortunately I do not think your going to be able to use the crockpot! the simplest way to fix a pork roast is to get a rolled one, place in a baking pan like a regular roast, make a couple of inserts in the meat and insert a clove of peeled garlic and 1/2 bay leaf in each insert. Then take a packet of dry, either brown or onion, gravy mix and sprinkle over the top of the roast, pour 1 can of beer around the base of the roast. This keeps the roast moist. make a tent out of aluminum foil and put into a 350 oven, figure about 30 minutes per pound of meat (if thawed out when you prepare it, if frozen add another 8 minutes per pound)after about 2 1/2 to 3hours into cooking process insert a meat thermometer when the inside temperature reaches 180 remove roast and let it reast for 15 minutes the roast will continue to cook. The final temperature should be 185. The resulting broth makes a great gravy. This method of cooking the pork roast does not require an overnight marinade.
A lovely compliment to this roast is augratin potatoes, and peas or dilled green beans.
I am fixing a standing rib roast, with parsley new potatoes & spinach casserole. Desert is going to be Pumpkin Cheesecake

Put a frozen roast in the crockpot before you go to bed with French Onion soup. When you get up in the morning add Brown Gravy mix. It will be ready by noon.
I also do it this way by putting it in the crockpot before I go to work and adding the brown gravy when I get home and letting sit for at least 45 min before serving.
This makes your meat and your gravy all in one.

I love my crock pot, so I would go with that. Just throw everything in and let it cook. . .can't get easier than that! One bit of advice though: if you're adapting an oven recipe, leave out the spices until the last hour or so of cooking. If you put them all in at the beginning, they somehow get way too intense. (I still can't stand the smell of rosemary because of a roast I made once!)

Anyway, I love www.allrecipes.com because all of the recipes are rated and reviewed by other users, so that way you're sure to find something that's great!

There's lots of recipes on allrecipes.com for pork roast (and anything else!) Anyway, I did one last week in the crock pot that was basically the roast, with lots of applesauce and brown sugar and some ginger in it. It was delicious! (I think the recipe was actually for the oven but I converted it into a crock pot one.)

Merry Christmas!

1 / 3