Political Views Gone Too Far??

So this morning I was checking my Facebook page, came across my stepson's (2 yrs out of college) post which I thought was too harsh. It's actually his friend's view & he shared the post meaning he agrees. The post said "Although I try to keep friends around even when our views are opposite, this is one issue where I don't need your friendship if you oppose my very being". & he continues to tell his "friends" to please de-friend him if their political views are different from his!

Would YOU post something like that? Would you seriously drop a friendship or family ties if your political views are different? While I understand the taking sides of political parties but still..I don't know how you can win votes or friends by making a statement like that..or maybe they do?? He has since backtracked on his post saying he is not that kind of person & that he will be friends with everybody..but the original post is still there, so he's contradicting himself.. I felt that he could've edited the post..but anyway..

Yes, it's a free country & you can say anything you want, but I am also of the old school that anything you post on fb will come back to haunt you. He has posted some stuff in the past which I didn't think were appropriate, I am just thinking of the resumes he's sending out & that he'll be turned down because of his posts. & yes, I have told him about that too.

Not looking for any answers, really..just your opinions! Thanks moms! :)

Thank you everyone for your responses! Wish I can respond to each & everyone of you! :) My post wasn’t about whom he is siding with, but with the choice of words he used (even though they’re someone else’s) . I don't care whom he votes for & I respect him for his beliefs. More power to him if he is really passionate about his choice. If only he stated it in his own words, nicely at that, pointing out the whys, whats, wheres & hows like a mature person would, but no, the 1st thing you see is those harsh words. I was taken aback by that & if that was meant for shock value, he sure shocked me! & of course the old school marm in me just had to say something to him of what I think is rude. He is my son after all.
I was even attacked by the original poster, can you believe it? Like, why am I policing her post, etc..I told her, I'm not policing her, I respect her views but I'm looking out for my s/son since he shared it. He has since responded in kind on why he picks this party, telling me facts, etc..& I told him if only he posts this instead of sharing a post with some harsh/unkind remarks, it would’ve shown how mature he was & that he probably would’ve convinced more of his friends to jump to his side of the fence! But it’s too late because all people would see is the top (the post) & not the thread.
Of course being young that he is, he told me not to worry about his posts! I really hope this doesn’t nip him in the butt! I also told him, instead of wasting time on fb, to go to the campaign office, become a volunteer , work for them & get involved the right way.

I think it depends upon the issues. If you told me you believed segregation was right, intermarriage was wrong and blacks were inferior to whites - no you could not be my friend. Period. Same if you told me that Jews killed Christ and will go to hell because of that.

I believe that many many people (gay and straight) believe that if you believe gay marriage is 'wrong' then you believe their families and they themselves are inferior to you. I would find it difficult if not impossible to be friends with someone who felt I had no right to marry and fully participate in civil society.

I have shared comments from friends which essentially stated the above.

I agree with Kristen W. My first thought was that he is gay and speaking against Romney because he is outspokenly against gay marriage (and therefore anti gay rights/human rights). One of my best friends is gay and was married in NY. She has been posting gentle reminders -- "a vote for Romney is a vote against my family" -- and I don't think that's going too far AT ALL. It's not an opinion; it's a factual statement. In fact, every woman in America could say the same thing. A vote for Romney is a vote against my civil rights.

I guess it depends on what he's defining as "his very being." If it's just his general political leanings, he needs to get over it. If it's a specific issue, such as he supports gay rights, and he's gay, and he's defriending folks who don't support gay rights, that would make sense to me. That would rise to the level of not supporting his very being.

YAWN! (not to you, to him). Ah, to be fresh out of college and so passionate and right about everything. I think I was a vegan working for Greenpeace right about then. All I can say is thank god the internet didn't exist to post my know-it-all stances to the world :) Yup, he shouldn't do that. Now at 42, my FB posts are NICE and supportive and positive and neutral. Even my lefty political things are scarce and light-hearted. I haven't de-friended any Republicans and the chats have stayed respectful. But then, us older people don't have "our very beings" wrapped in this kind of stuff :)

my opinion is that he is just very immature, and hadn't thought it through before he posted it. When he really grows up, he'll understand what he did was stupid. In the meantime, I agree with you, he will be turned down for jobs for sure. Shows where his character is at the moment.

It's just immaturity. I read postings from teenagers on my Facebook about their political views and think to myself...give me your opinion once you've lived a little more and contributed to society by at least paying some taxes......

No, I wouldn't post something like that. I don't post political stuff as a rule on my Facebook because they are my friends. I guess I find friendships a bit more valuable that my point of view.

I wish I could get my damn Kindle app to fire up on this machine!! I have been reading a book but for the life of me can't remember the name. It is written by a sociologist and does a great job of explaining how politics have become almost like religion to some, that they actually feel their party beliefs are their core beliefs where in the past your core beliefs determined your party choice.

I've posted similar ... 'This is me. It's who I am and if you don't like the majority of how I feel or what I post, feel free to leave. I'm not changing'.

1 / 3