22 answers

Poison Ivy - How Do I Get Rid of It!

Oh, I'm in such a state! I brushed against Poison Ivy or Sumac the other day and am really suffering.

I've tried everything over the counter. So far rubbing alcohol and gold bond cream have soothed, but waking up in the mornings, all spots have spread and getting worse.

Any suggestions or advice would be MOST helpful! Thank goodness no-one else is allergic!

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

IVY BLOCK works. I put it on before going out in the garden and WOW, no ivy so far!!! Thanks everyone for all your help. I sincerely appreciate your responses!

Featured Answers

Super Ivy dry. My mom had to use it a while back. She had it in her eyes, all on her chest, stomach, legs, arms, everywhere!! It dried it up super quick!

1 mom found this helpful

Hi F.,

I use a raw potato when I get it. I won't help the itching, but it will dry it up so it will go away faster.

Hope this helps!

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers

my son got into poison ivy at my sisters house. we got some medicine from the doctor called triamcinolone acetonide cream. it seemed to work really well. also ive heard aloe vera medicine will work. there are some others over the counter that you can use but i cant think of them right now. my mom told me to get some baking soda mixed with a little bit of water or to try rubbing a peeled potato over the area. the white stuff on the potato when it dries she said soothes the itching. just food for thought. hope it works, if not i would call your doctor and ask what kind of otc meds will work for poison ivy. talk to you later, R.

1 mom found this helpful

heat makes it worse, so try to stay indoors as much as you can...

1 mom found this helpful

HELLO

go to wal-greens and get poison ivy soap it works on my grandson and he gets it so bad we end up going to the dr and getting two shots a year for it. Now that we use the soap we haven't had to get the shot. It is about 5.00 but worth the money. GOOD LUCK

1 mom found this helpful

my brother and i used to get it all the time. the only thing you can really do is to not scratch it. if you use the benedryl or calamine lotion it will keep it from itching and will help you to not itch. it spreads because of the oil that is in the blisters. the more you scratch the more it spreads. it usually take about 1 week to 2 weeks for it to go away. I understand how fruterating it is. one thing to remember is to wash your hands all the time, it will keep you from spreading it to others. if it doesn't start to go away by next week i'd call you dr. they may be able to give you something. hope this helps. i fell your pain. i'm itching myself thinking about it.

1 mom found this helpful

Hi. To stop itching and get "control" of the ivy is a good ole fashioned BLEACH BATH. Run about half a tub of water with one full cub of bleach and have a soak. Do not use a washcloth, it scratched the skin and makes it worse, just use your hand and have a good sit in it ( will not hurt private parts ) Sometimes I flip over to my belly and soak like that for a little while too to get my arms under the water. Will not come out stinking like bleach and do not use soap with the bleach bath. May sting a little if you have an open sore but lasts only a second. THIS DOES WORK and about three days you will notice a huge difference.

1 mom found this helpful

Go see your doctor. He can give you a shot and a steroid pack. Otherwise, it takes me a good 2 weeks to get rid of it. Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful

Super Ivy dry. My mom had to use it a while back. She had it in her eyes, all on her chest, stomach, legs, arms, everywhere!! It dried it up super quick!

1 mom found this helpful

I get poison ivy too. My poison ivy usually goes to every spot I ever had it before it goes away. I did find one item that works great. It takes the itching out almost immediately. it is called ZANFEL. It is expensive, but works. You have to rub it in, you make sure you rub it in your haands first with a little water to activate it. Follow the directions. Calomine is pink coloring that does nothing, but make kids look cute.

1 mom found this helpful

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.