Please Help Need Answers

My daughter is 4 mo and will be 5 on the 23rd. Sheis very healthy and usually a happy baby. After giving her a bath today I felt lumps behind her nipples. They felt like little marbles that are hard but move freely. I automatically think the worst because my 2yo son was born with a lot of medical problems. I haven't felt them before and really what made me even look was my sister was holding her under my daughters arms and she felt them and asked what it was. She is a mother as well and has a daughter and has never felt this before, I asked my mom and she says the same and she has 3 daughters. I need to know if I'm over-reacting by thinking that this is abnormal or what. Of course I am calling the doctor in the morning but I need input asap not at the next appt. Any info would be helpful.

I truly thank all of you for your advice and help. I took her to the doctors on Friday and he said that it was ok for now but to watch for any swelling or redness or fever. That means a very big infection and she needs to be started on medication immediatly. I really thank all of you and God bless.

Hi there, my daughter is 7 months old, and has those lumps. Her doctor said its normal. I wouldn't worry. As for other ppl not experiencing the same with their own kids, all babies grow and develope differently. Good luck.

My first daughter had these bumps also and my doctor assured me it was just glands. They do go away and it must not happen in all baby girls because I don't remember feeling them in my second daughter. It doesn't hurt to have the doctor look at her but no need to think the worst. She is on the path of womanhood and all the wonderful and not so wonderful hormon issues that go with it.

I do know that when they are a newborn that is normal it is excess of hormones form you, but being almost 5 months I would call the doc to make sure.

Hi! I have a 22 month old girl and she was about 9 or 10 months old when we felt something like that too. When I took her to the Ped. it turned out to be swollen glands (or nodes, I can't remember) and the Dr. said that it was very normal in baby girls. I am not sure if it's the exact same thing, but be patient and try not to stress (as hard as that is! I know.) Taking her to the Dr. is the best thing and you won't have to be guessing anymore.
Let us know what happens!

Are you breastfeeding? It is probably your hormones. My daughters had the same thing, they are now 8 & 12 and healthy.

My daughter had something similar on the back of her head and in her groin area. The lumps were hard, mobile and about the size of a bb. I, like you, thought the worst and called the doctor immediately. It turns out that the lumps were simply slightly swollen lymph nodes and actually a sign of a healthy immune system. The doctor said that unless the lumps were the size of a lima bean or grape, they're usually no cause for concern.

Hi N.,

Check out this link http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&...
See if it sounds the same as what your little one is experiencing. If it is, it seems there is nothing to worry about.

Regards,

I have 2 daughters and I remember that. I think it is the mammary glands, which boys, of course, do not have.

I would call and ask or at her next checkup, but I don't think you have a reason to be overly worried.

My doctor said that we might experience something like that and some discharge with our girl. He said that its common because they still have so much fo mommies hormones left in them when they are born. He said to watch out for stuff like that for the 1st 6 months and not to freak out if we saw anything like that. We never did, but hopefully its not a bog deal and will go away on its own. Of course you'll check with your doctor though to be sure thats what it is.

1 / 3