Please Help, My 2 Year Olds Gums Are Bleeding.. ??

For about 5 days now when i.brush.my l.o teeth they bleed and shes screams, shes had a hard time chewing food ect..and its just tearing me up. I had a dentist appointment for her yesterday but then ifind out thst the state has stopped her medical assistance, and i can not afford it on my own. Im so worried that this will get worse or the bacteria will travel through her body or something, i know gum disease can.be dangerous. I.am cleaning her teeth very well after evrry meal, and givong hetr only water at night. I thought that it may be gingivitis, and if it is i read thst it can.be reversed with good cleaning of the moith, but has anyone gone through this?? Im so worried and feel helpless, i know she needs a dentist but they will not see her with out a $200 payment up frount. I.can not afford this, so please if you comment please dont say take her to the dentist cause i cant right now :(

Also, sorry if there are typos, im using my phone.

My first reaction to this is that she might have low iron levels. One of the common symptoms of this is bleeding gums (I have been anemic off and on my whole life). A iron test will be much cheaper than a dentists bill and you can probably get it down at the public health dept.

1. Find a nearby dental school and take her there. They'll be able to diagnose and treat for way less $$ than a regular dental office.

2. What type of toothpaste are you using? I used only Tom's Natural products on my LO's mouths. Adult main stream tooth paste are very irritating to their young gums.

3. Does she eat a lot of sugary candy or sour candy during the day? Stop that irritating stuff pronto.

4. Make sure she eats an apple a day and drinks whole milk. The benefits are too many to list here.

GL!

I have gun disease and as a result, have lost numerous teeth. I only have about 8 real teeth left. I have NEVER had pain when brushing and very little bleeding. It's hard to imagine that at age 2, she has gingivitis, but then again, I'm not a dentist!

Are her teeth straight? My GD had problems with bleeding gums and a hard time eating before she got her braces because her teeth were so crooked.

Here we have a dental practice called Western Dental. They do take payment plans. Also, there is a credit company called Care Credit. See if they do business in your state. It's a credit plan for dental treatment.

If it is gum disease, you should use one of the good electric toothbrushes (sonic care or something similar) two times per day, floss daily, and I use Listerine because it's an antiseptic. That is probably waaayyyyy too strong for a 2 year old. I do think they now have Alcohol-free Listerine, try that. If that's still too much, warm salt water works wonders in the mouth.

I just had two more teeth pulled yesterday and added to my partial. That cost me almost $1,000. I have no insurance and still more work to be done. I keep telling myself that I'd rather have dental issues than medical issues, but holy cow the cost is ridiculous!

It could be she has some teeth coming in.
Does she eat enough fruit / drink fruit juice / take a daily vitamin?
Scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) will cause bleeding gums.
When you brush her teeth you should use a soft bristled tooth brush and not press very hard at all.
You can also clean her teeth by putting a wet wash cloth over your finger and wipe her teeth and gums - it's very gentle.
Also - there's such a thing as wear and tear due to excessive cleaning.
Most dentists recommend brushing teeth no more than twice a day - morning and before bed.
Brushing her teeth after every meal might be rubbing her raw.

You've gotten good answers - I just want to recommend that you get a SOFT bristle tooth brush for her. You need to change brushes - the old one may be cutting her gums. That could spread infection...

Please keep us posted!

Call around and find a dentist that will see her at a reduced rate or will accept a payment plan. Is there a dental school near you? That is another option.

She NEEDS a pediatric dentist but if you end up with a regular dentist who helps people in need, that is still better than doing nothing. If you are STILL unsuccessful, go to your pedi to have her checked.

I personally think 2 yrs old is too young for gum disease unless there have been some very lax efforts made for dental care but I am not a dental professional. It sounds like you are trying with daily brushing. It could be something as simple as new teeth coming in which does cause some pain and bleeding with some children.

Good luck and get her to a Dr.

she needs more calcium , give her milk or juice to drink with every meal and offer her liquids of any kind throughout the day. offer her a very gentle brushing first thing in the morning, my daughter wasnt thrilled about brushing until we made it a part of her "morning routine", studies have shown that girls get about HALF the calcium that they need, offer her anything that is high in calcium, milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc.and ease back on the brushing to twice a day, then give it a month, if her gums are still bleeding after all the extra calcium and only brushing twice a day, then take her into the dentist.
K. h.

I doubt your daughter has gum disease, this early. Last time my 3 yr old went for his exam & cleaning ( he was 2.5 ), his gums bled. The hygienist told me why but I don't remember. It wasn't a big deal.

1 / 3