Please Help Me ! - Vidor,TX

hello i am new at this and dont know if any one will respond , but i have a 10 yr old daughter who is going through all the changes. i am so concerned about her. there are things she does that is not normal to me. she thinks bugs are all over her and around her all the time, looks at food constantly to make sure nothing is in it , thinks she sees black shadow things and thinks that if any thing she touches it will get in her body and she will die. i dont understand why she thinks these things and i get so fustrated at her, i cant handle this. please if any one has any suggestions i would greatly apprieciate it. she hasnt had a trauma, although me and her dad fuse alot, we have gone through 2 hurricanes, alot of family in and out. no meds, no illnesses, no drugs, goes to church regularly. i just dont know

i appreciate all the comments. yes i am a nurse but sometimes i forget that when it comes to my own kids and believe me i do not know everything. we are a catholic family and go to church on reg basis. there is mentall illness in my side of family. she is learning alot of new things at school regarding nutrition and germs, so maybe its related, i am making her an appointment with both pcp and physc thanks for all your comments.

If se were JUST seeing black shadows then I MIGHT agree with some posts that this was spritual.

You need to do a google search for schizophrenia symptoms and obessive compulsary disorder symptoms. Often one suffers from both.

I spent 15 yrs married to a man that was bi-polar had OCD and a touch of schizophrenia. I also took care of my ex-mother-in-law for 7 yrs and she REALLY had schizophrenia. I know that living with someone with these issues is hard. It's even harder for them trying to live with it.

Take her to a doctor.

I would take her to the Doctor first thing in the morning. Does she have a fever? Is she on new medication?

Also I think I need to remind all of you out there, that not all School counselors are "real" Counselors. They are "academic" counselors. They are not really in the mental health business as much as educational counselors that understand the academic needs of children not mental health.

Sounds like she has OCD of some kind. I have that & I'm the same way about germs. I drive my hubby CRAZY all the time. I'm not as bad as I used to be but I'm still a fanatic about it. You should try counsuling & see if that helps. I just started changing my ways as a grownup but I grew up in a pretty nasty environment so that's where my problems stem from. Good luck!

I am sorry you are going thru this and I'm sorry for your daughter. I highly recommend you talk to her pediatrician. I don't know if you need to see a therapist or what, but I would talk to the pediatrician first. Best of luck to you and your family.

please take her to a psychiatrist, she is having tactile hallucinations (feels bugs), and visual hallucinations (sees shadows). get a pediatric psychiatrist as soon as you can.

Please take her to see a good psychiatrist who specializes in adolescents. If you're in the Austin area, Dr. Robert Dobyns is excellent. I'm sure there are many other capable ones in Austin as well. You daughter may have an adolescent onset mental illness. Her hormonal changes and stress could be triggering an illness. It's possible for anxiety and post traumatic stress (from the hurricanes) to cause the hallucinations. A talk therapist is a good place to begin with help too.

Don't worry about the unknown, take it one day at a time. You are doing the right thing asking for advice and seeking help for your daughter.

Dear N R,

I am sorry that this is putting a strain on you, and your daughter more so. The first thing I would do is realize that, although we are genetically connected, we do not all have the same minds. I come from a very normal, typical all american family yet I am an obsessive compulsive thinker. I have experienced pain in my hands from too much hand washing because I believed that every time I touched something that my hands were filthy and I had to wash them again. I became a prisoner in my own mind. Our minds are extremely complicated, yet simple things that help us work things out that the rest of our body cannot. My suggestion would be to have her pediatrician refer her to a psychiatrist (psychologist seems to be closer to a therapist). Consulting with a psychiatrist does not make her crazy or different, please let her know that. They are doctors of the mind where as our regular doctors are doctors of the body. I would recommend not allowing her pediatrician to put her on meds, I would see the psychiatrist and let him/her make suggestions. Remember, as a nurse you are aware that you are in control of the choices that are made when deciding a treatment plan.

If you would like the name of a very good (female) psychiatrist, email me and I will give you her information. She has helped me through an extremely rare condition (unrelated to the hand washing issue)that countless doctors could not figure out. She is empathetic and gets down to the point.

Wow- your responses are running from the sublime to the ridiculous. At the risk of offending anyone and/or having my post yanked, please get you child to a doctor for evaluation before she suffers more harm. I can't imagine how anxious and miserable she must be. It is ludicrous to believe religion has anything to do with this or that it should be the first intervention. You are responsible for your daughter's health and well being. Please make her an appointment as soon as possible.

I agree with taking her to the Doctor. Start first with your family Doctor and then follow his/her advice. She may need to follow up with some of the other Doctors that have been suggested. The main thing I can tell you is that YOU are her Mother and mother's intuiton is something you can always trust and count on when knowing your Daughter. You seem like a great Mom! Good Luck and Trust your instincts!

My 2 cents... And I am NOT a child psychologist or pediatric medical professional, so I suppose really, my thoughts don't hold much value...

It sounds like she is still reacting from the hurricanes, grieving from the trauma it wrecked upon her previous home life, processing the knowledge of death and destruction that comes with natural disasters, moving, family instability, etc. She may perceive and feel powerless to "constant" and numerous forces surrounding her and out of her control... And then she redirects and internalizes scary TV & movie images (the black beings in Harry Potter movies for example), science lessons about bugs and germs, or images of Satan/devil/demons from church and biblical stories. In a way, this behavior allows her to have control over what she eats, what she touches, what happens to her.

My primary concern would be in regard to the development of an eating disorder especially since she is already showing signs of rejecting food or being grossed out by food and since she exhibits high-levels of anxiety in general. And yes, bulimia and anorexia nervosa can manifest from feelings of lack of control. I think it is critical that you try to nip this behavior before she enters her teen years where anxiety, eating disorders and self-destructive behavior could really get out of control.

Take her to a doctor.

1 / 3