Please Help! Is It Hemorrhoids or Something Else?

So Saturday night I noticed some discomfort in my perineum area (skin/muscle between vagina and anus). It was itching and inflammed and I had a little bit of pain, not much and yesterday morning I noticed a lump. Not too big, smaller than the size of a dime. I haven't had any bleeding when I use the bathroom. I have been working out a lot more at the gym (lifting weights, cycling, ab workouts). I am a vegetarian, occasionally eat chicken, so I eat a pretty good amount of fiber. However, Saturday morning when I woke up, I couldn't remember the last time I had "used the bathroom" (bowel moevemt). Could I possibly have hemorrhoids and gotten them from working out and maybe being constipated? This is so embarrassing to me, I haven't even told my husband! If these do sound like hemorrhoids, what to do and how long do they last?!!

I don't feel the area you have described is where you would get hemorroids. They seem to be concentrated in the anal area specifically. You may have a yeast infection or as someone below said a pimple...they are painful in that area and do happen.

You should see a dr. since you have been working out the chemistry down there has changed with sweat and what not and you may have a simple infection.

Jen

Hemorrhoids are in the anus.......could this be a boil maybe? You should get it checked to make sure. Good Luck.

I would see a dr very soon. Could be a herniated bowel from too much lifting.... Sounds like hemorrhoids tho. Try using Tucks pads and eating prunes or drinking prune juice in the meantime. Good luck!

LK, Puh leeze don't be embarrassed. Probably 99% of us on Mamapedia have them!! LOL! If they are hemorrhoids and not huge and uncomfortable you can sit in a hot bath (as hot as you can stand it) for as long as you can stand it and this should relieve most of the inflammation and itching. You can also buy the creams but my suggestion would to keep the area as dry as possible. Make sure to shower immediately after working out and dry off well.
If you have had a baby, you probably had them all along. Best wishes to you.

Jen

My best advice is to see your OB/GYN immediately just to be certain before you do anything to treat them.
Hemorrhoids are basically vericose veins in your anal area (sorry for the graphic description).
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hemorrhoids-topic-over...

Yes, I had hemorrhoids following the birth of my second child in the perineal area as well. Then, when I was on chemo a few weeks later, they were back with a vengeance. It was horribly embarrassing, and I had to use Rx medications to help with the inflammation, take laxatives and stool softeners. In my case, the chemo was causing constipation that was irritating the inflammation. I was scared to go to the bathroom everyday. I hope yours doesn't get to this point.

The OTC medications couldn't touch how severe it had gotten for me, I had 2 Rx medications and eventually had some compounded for me (that luckily I never had to use).

But, stress, straining when you do go to the bathroom, etc. are all causes for the inflammation and the pain.

Only your doctor can tell you for sure, and they should have samples of some of the better medications (Analpram, RectaGel - silly names, I know). I didn't find that Tuck's pads were too helpful, but using the Preparation-H wipes was helpful after using the bathroom.

hi
sounds like one allright... Have you tried soaking in an epsom salt bath? try that... and regardless of fiber in the diet, albeit it DOES help move things along.. sometimes, the muscles are a bit a weak after pregnancy...
I would try the epsom salt bath a few times.. and if it doesn't relieve the problem, then perhaps go to the doctor.. Also, until the area is strengthened more, I would NOT apply more pressure than needed.. example, maybe if you are doing 10lb weights, switch to 7.. things is when you have a hemorrhoid, bearing down exercises can make matters worse because you are applying pressure to essentially a vein..... and it's already inflamed.. and the pressure makes it 's worse..
if it doesn't go away in about a week, you may want to have your gynecologist take a look.... that is sooooooooo common and they see em all the time
best of luck to you

I'd call your midwife or gynecologist because it may be something like a swollen Bartholin's gland, rather than hemorrhoids. While it may be those good ol' 'rhoids [sigh...] I think you probably would have noticed it before -- pain or something when trying to go poop. It's not having fecal matter in your bowel per se that causes hemorrhoids, but when you strain trying to move your bowels.

Hi. It actually sounds like it could be a hemorrhoid. It's best to allow your doctor to diagnose but here are a few things that might help you out.

Hemorrhoids are generally located in the anal area. It's like a bit of puckering tissue that protrudes from the anus, with said tissue feeling tender, sometimes bleeding a bit, and it can feel as if a small bit of inside tissue from the anus is now on the outside and/or as if the tissue around the annal area has actually swollen to where it feels as if a small piece of the intestine is trying to protrude out. Often they are very painful when irritated or inflamed and sometimes they will bleed.

You have one thing definitely on your side and that is the fact that you have a high fiber diet. I'm also vegetarian; however, I do occasionally eat seafood and a couples of times a year I can't pass up a steak. (grin) Often, hemorrhoids are the result of the need to push constantly during problems related to things like constipation, a natural (and/or concerning) part of pregnancy especially toward the end and during labor and delivery b/c of the pressure of pushing, and it can be aggravated by lifting weights and even cycling if you do not have a comfortable seat.

The first thing I would do is make an appointment with your general practitioner as this doctor can diagnose hemorrhoids and offer medication and advice on how to prevent the problem from becoming worse, figure out if there are any problems on the inside that might need addressing from an emergent standpoint, and keep a check on the problem over a long period of time just in case the problems become worse. There are times when surgical intervention is required if the hemorrhoids begin to bleed. My mother's current husband began bleeding profusely because his had become detached from the inside and was coming out. This was an extreme case and it was an emergent surgery; however so successful he has not had any problems since after following a strict diet, watching the amount of weight he lifts, and is careful with sitting arrangements because certain types of seats, constipation, and other things can complicate problems.

In the meantime, if the area is painful or sore, you can purchase a couple of different products but what I found most comforting for the discomfort and sometimes pain from what I suffered throughout two long yet high risk pregnancies were these Tucks Pads that I used each and every time I went to the bathroom and I added a lot more roughage/fiber to my diet than I had before along with lots more water. Dehydration can exacerbate the problem too.

Warm sitz baths can help too. These are basically nothing more than sitting in warm to as comfortably warm as you can stand to ease the soreness. I'd also stay off the bike and not lift weights or do any heavy lifting until seeking medical advice and examination from your doctor. I only say this because it's not usually bad but it can go from bad to worse if not taken care of properly especially if it's a first time.

keeping you in my thoughts and hoping all goes well. Please Please seek out your doctor's help to make sure all is well. You seem to have a healthy lifestyle. It may just need a little tweaking to keep you that way.

1 / 3