Play-doh Again

No one really answered this, but I made a creation and glued it together as I was told, well, it stayed a little. It started crack a bit around the glues area as I left it out to dry out. How can I keep a Play-doh creation together without it cracking while it bakes or while it stays out to dry? Any ideas?

Thank you for the recipe. I will certainly try it. Thanks for the info. I will try these, thanks!

I haven't used *this* recipe specifically, but I've used ones like it with great results. It might be worth a try!

* 2 Cups Flour
* 1 Cup Salt
* 1 Cup Water
* 1 1/2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
* Wax Paper
* Paint
* 1 Mixing Bowl
* Cookie Sheet

1. Mix the salt and flour together in the mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add the water and oil to the bowl and mix together until you get a smooth consistency.
3. Tear off a large piece of wax paper and pull off a chunk of the dough.
4. Shape the dough into any design that you want…use your imagination. Just try not to make the shapes too thick.
5. Place your creations on a cookie sheet and cook in an oven at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes-1 hour.
6. When they are done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
7. You can then paint the objects if desired.

I'm not sure about play-doh creations, but with traditional pottery and ceramics, you are to be sure that the clay doesn't dry out too quickly before firing it. You are supposed to cover it loosely with plastic so that the moisture escapes slowly and evenly (for several days) preventing cracks, then you bake it.
Not sure if this helps...
:o)

Hi C.-
I'm not sure your answer to the play-doh question and I'm not sure what you're doing with it, but I've found a product by crayola that dries really well. I can put my kids' handprints in it and let it dry to make ornaments. My oldest can even make stuff out of it and then paint it or use markers on it. It comes in white and other colors too. If this sounds like something your looking for then I can go downstairs and a read the exact title off the product box for you! Good luck.

I have no idea?? Maybe clay would work better? Maybe go to a craft store and ask and maybe there is some type of clay that can be baked so that it hardens?? Otherwise look on the internet, there may be homemade play-doh recipes that can be baked to harden??? Good luck!

I would imagine it's a lot like clay.. When you want to dry clay you have to do it a little slower. Keep it covered lightly with a plastic sheet or plastic bag. just drape it over for a few days after awhile you can remove it totally and let it finish drying. If you let it dry too fast it will crack like you described which makes me think clay and play doh will act in very much the same way. I hope this helps the process.

1 / 3