Play at Home Activities for 4 y.o. Boy

Veteran moms, please tell me some activities for a 4 y.o. boy to play at home. I do not want him watching tv, and I am having trouble figuring out what to get him.

He is a very curious, interested, and active child. Loves numbers.

As my oldest kid ages, I can't seem to keep up with him!!

Get a kiddie pool. Children love the water. Get a horse on springs and let him ride.

The Vermont Country store use to carry them.

Take the children to the park and let them play. Take a picnic lunch and a blanket.

Hope this helps. Good luck. D.

The V Smile is good. It will have him watching tv. but its educational/games, not cartoon junk. The only downside is that its on the pricey side.
Some other ideas...
Legos. They come in different sizes.
Large colorring books.
Large white boards/markers.
Hot wheels/cars.
Waffle blocks. Available through toys r us and amazon. They link together to form things.
Plastic animals/dinos/etc.

Hi. I have a 4 year old daughter. Here are some of her favorite at home things to do:

Playdough--she seriously plays with this for hours! If I have time I even let her help me make the homemade kind(Kool-aid playdough is my fav...) She loves to use cookie cutters and some of the play dough tools you can buy.

Forts--I let her use the cusions in the family room and blankets to make forts. She loves to take animals in there and use her flashlight and pretend she is camping. My 1 1/2 year old loves this too.

Animals-- Those little hard animals from Michaels and A C Moore are great! Just about every 4 year old I know, boys and girls, love these. They spark a lot of creativity alone or with other kids.

Art--drawing, painting, cutting, pasting, stensils, etc! You can give a 4 year old some glue, paper and alphabet pasta and let them get messy. It's so great to see what they come up with.

These are just some ideas--I know every kid is soooo different. I can't wait to see some of the other responses so I can get some new ideas too!

I would offer anything outside. Go to the library and find some books on outdoor activities. Kids love the outdoors, they love the bugs and the grass and learning new things that go on out there. It's good for them and teaches them to love their surroundings and not be afraid of things like bugs and such. You can smell the flowers grow some easy veggies or just take a walk to the park. My kids go outside everyday, usually just to a local park but it wears them out and they learn about dealing with other kinds of kids. Hope this helps.

DLTK's site has a plethora of activities and ideas.

Here is a good website for learning activities and worksheets.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html

A friend if mine who is a teacher just showed our 3 1/2 year old this game last week.Supplies:empty plastic shopping bag and immagination. She called it a MAGIC BAG:)
We hold a magic bag and everyone takes turnes to reach in it and get something special. Like we get scooters out of it and ride them around the house,different flavor ice cream and everyone tries what flavor they like the most,we get bunnies that we run after and try to catch . Really there is not limit to the magic bag....fly and airplain, build a castle.......our kids can not get enough:)

*Throw cushions from sofa onto the floor and jump on them to a music CD.
*Take walks outside and find objects to make into natural art at home.
*Make pet rocks.
*Make a bird feeder out of pine cone, string and peanut butter. (Even my 10-year-old son and nephew enjoyed that).
*Read and teach songs. If you have binoculars, he can watch the neighborhood birds and learn to identify them even now. Get picture books from library on birds and ask if the ones he sees look like the ones in the book. He might just say, "bird." But, it's ok. It'll be fun and he'll get a kick out of the binoculars.
*Teach him to count objects & coins.
*Watch PBS "A Place of Our Own" (6:30 am. on WETA in my area). The hostess presents GREAT craft projects that are appropriate for preschoolers and can be adapted for toddlers and older children. Can't watch it? Check online at www.aplaceofourown.org. Absolutely FABULOUS! Amazing what we can do with things laying around the house.

If he is curious buy toys that let him use his imagination like cars, trucks, blocks. Things where he can make them do what he wants rather than action figures where they do basically only one thing. My son loved mega blocks. They came with the big dump truck and he used to ride in the truck, make towers on the back of the truck which was the block base. They have a firetruck and helicopters and other things now too. He could use his imagination and make whatever he wanted. Sometimes he would just build something to knock it over. Plus you can count the blocks with him when he is playing as well as make patterns out of different color blocks. Good luck.

1 / 3