Plastic Surgery?? - Annandale,VA

About a year ago I went to a dermatologist (one I'd never been to before but my husband goes there). I had them remove a weird mole from my shoulder. It was gross and I was worried about skin cancer. Sorry this is disgusting, but... it was about the size, shape and "feel" of a rice krispy! Very weird (and it had always just been a normal mole). Anyway, they took it off and put a band-aid on it and away I went. It didn't occur to me to ask if I needed stitches. It was the first time I had ever had something like that done, and I assumed they knew what they were doing! Fast forward one year - it has healed all weird. It's round, about the size of my pinky nail and it bubbles out. It looks so gross to me!! When I wear anything sleeveless I am self conscious. I know it's vain, but do you think I could have it fixed? Should I go to a dermatologist? A plastic surgeon? Back to the original derm. and tell them to fix what they screwed up? I don't know what to do. It itches too, and drives me crazy at times. My husband tried to make me feel better, as far as how ugly it is. He told me it looks like I got shot, and that makes me tough. UGH! What would you do??

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question! And Donna S., a HUGE thank you to you for giving me a name for this thing!! I think you are absolutely right. I googled it after I read your answer and that's EXACTLY what it looks like. And I truly don't think I am having self esteem issues. This thing is ugly - just google keloid scars and you'll see. I was underestimating how big it is too - it's about the size of a dime. I don't mind a scar, it's just that this one might make people want to stop eating their dinner if they're out with me. I'd almost rather have it fixed and still have a scar, but no longer a puffy lump. I'm off to call a NEW dermatologist. Thanks guys!

Hi, K.:
It sounds like you have a Keloid scar.
Get a diagnosis first. Go to another Dermatologist
to get a second opinion.

honey, if a mole itches and bleeds.. you need to go back to the doctor.. now, there is something wrong.
K. h.

I have a scar on my face that goes from up in my nose down to my lip. I have a scar around my one nostril.

There are days when I swear it's the biggest thing in the world and anyone who sees me can only see my scar. However, if I mention it to anyone, they usually lean in and say something like "Oh, I never noticed that before!"

I was born with a cleft lip and some days feel like I'm the ugliest person in the world. Other days I'm just amazed at how awesome my plastic surgeon was! He met with my parents several days after I was born and I worked with him until I was 21 and he retired. He did all my work and I thank God for him.

If it bothers you that much, then go have it looked it at. But from the one time I had a mole removed, it looks like I was shot. It hasn't changed a whole lot since then. I would just get over it and move on. Yeah, we all have something we're insecure about. We don't obsess over it though...and if we do, we go have it looked at to see if we can fix it.

I've had a few small moles taken off by a plastic surgeon. I had one taken off my nose, ear (right on the cartilage bump), and right between my eyebrows (I know, ick!). These left no scars at all.

The only one I had taken off by a dermatologist, on my stomach, and the scar looks awful. Plastic surgeons know how to put in very small stitches that will heal almost invisibly.

I don't think it's vain or selfish to get moles or scars dealt with. If it bothers you, and especially since it itches, I would check into getting it removed by a plastic surgeon. They can tell you up front what it will cost.

I would start by going to a new dermatologist and see what they say. They can tell you if it was not removed properly, why it is itching, etc. And they should be able to tell you your options.
If it is really bugging you and you are self-conscious about it then, yes I think you can consider plastic surgery if it is your only option. Sounds like it would be a minor thing although you would probably always have some sort of scar. Your description of it made me think of those small pox vaccines (I think that is what they are) that we no longer get in the US but they still give them in other countries. My husband who is from Jordan has a big quarter size pink square on his arm near his shoulder from his vaccine. So your husband is probably right and no one else really pays attention to it.

I would definitely call the first dermatologist and have htem look. Vanity aside, why is it itching? Ruling out other health issues with the scar would be my first priority.

Then maybe you can get a referral to a plastic surgeon.

Hi, K.:
It sounds like you have a Keloid scar.
to get a second opinion.

If you are well off, insurance will pay 80%, you have no outstanding credit card bills, no loans other than house and vehicles, food is plentiful, bills are all paid up, kids have no needs and most wants have been supplied, etc...then having something so trivial is fine.

If this was painful, got irritated each and every time you put on clothes, bled frequently, had drainage or some other medical issue, then it would need to be treated and fixed.

We all get scars and live with them. If you have a spot on your shoulder you are probably the only one noticing it. I would think that a little concealer would fix that right up.

Yes, do call the office of the doc who did the surgery and ask if they will fix it. They may have put on a butterfly bandage and expected that to hold the sides together and it heal accordingly. Most small incisions do not get stitches anymore.

Talk to a couple of docs. Get a couple of estimates. See if your insurance will cover any of this, I really doubt they will pay for any of it. They will see it as purely cosmetic.

Talk to hubby about starting a savings account with the amount needed as the goal. Perhaps going to work to earn the money to pay for it will make it happen sooner. You should feel good about yourself but sometimes we just live with the war wounds we get from life. There are options for you! I hope you can make the choice and feel good about yourself again.

*********************************
This is what I "heard" in your post.

I am insecure, I have a blemish and it makes me feel ugly, my hubby is lying to me when he says it's not noticeable, I am ugly. You are not ugly.

If you step back and think of this issue like this, do you need to work on self image issues? How is your self esteem?

If those things are okay then I apologize, that's just what I got out of the post.

Go to a plastic surgeon. Derms love to shave it off and say it'll heal fine but I always had it leave a gross scar. A plastic surgeon will tell you if he can fix it depending where it is, how much skin there is there and the tension on the skin. I'm guessing most likely they can make it better but it'll still take probably a year for the scar from that to start fading.

It's been my understanding that that is just what dermatologist do-chop it off and slap a band aid on it. So I would not go back to them-they did their job as far as they're concerned.
I would go to the plastic surgeon.
My DH has a small cyst removed from his shoulder and I had a mole that sounds like your's twin-only between my boobs. : /
We both have ugly bumpy scars.
I did not find out until later that if I wanted it to heal completely I should have had a surgeon do it. : /
If you can afford to-go for it.
For me...I lived w/ a mole I despised for 30 years...I can deal w/ a scar. :)

1 / 3