Plaster of Paris Craft Idea

I am in charge of crafts for VBS this year. Our theme is Army of God. On Tuesday, I need to do a craft that ties in with "... and your feet fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." (Ephesians 6:15) I thought I had all of my lessons in place but then I came up with the idea of footprints. I would love to do plaster of paris footprints, but I don't know if it would be cost effective. It's hard to tell how many kids will come, but we are expecting 30-40. Can someone tell me how much plaster of paris that I would need for a project of this size? My resources are limited both financially and geographically. I live in a small town and Walmart is our only choice for shopping. I suppose my cheapest idea is to make a dip thier feet in paint and make a footprint banner to hang up on the wall.

Wow! What great responses that you all gave! We have a very crafty bunch of moms here! All of the ideas were great! I finally settled on the footprints with paint idea. It was the cheapest (we already had the tempra paint) and least time consuming one as well as very colorful! I hung the banner after they left in the front window of the church where the children come in. I can't wait to see thier faces when they see where I hung it up. I also made a separate footprint to send home with them later this week. All of these ideas have sparked ideas for later projects. Eventually, I'll be able to use them all. Thanks everyone!

I like the paint idea, just imagine a colorful banner of little footprints hanging on the wall, and then at the same time, if you wanted them to have something to take home you could let them each do a personal print for Mom and Dad on a piece of paper or a paper plate.

I have an idea that is different by inexpensive. When I was a kid in VBS I remember we made sandals to march in, we traced our feet on a piece of cardboard, then cut them out, next holes were punched along the sides, last we laced brown yarn through the holes with enough left over to wrap the yarn around part of our legs in a criss cross pattern.

Hello,
I persoanlly have never worked with plaster of paris. I have however tried and failed twice and putting my children's foot prints in those concrete stepping stone kits. I would say the best and easiest would just to pait their feet. You will get the same effect but with a ton less mess and stress. Another thing that I did for Grandma one year was to take the big stepping stones that you can find at Lowes and put their footprints on that. Not sure if you have a garden or play area around your church but you could paint their footprints on the stones and then place the footprints around the church. Not sure where you live at but you said a small town, I am sure that someone from your churc will be traveling into a bigger town where there is a Lowes or Home Depot and can pick them up for you.
Goodluck and let me know how things turn out
N.

i do a lot of volunteering myself. i would go to Walmart and asked them to donate the stuff you need. i would think concrete is cheaper than plaster of paris. have the children put vaseline on bottom of foot and then make a quick foot print. Let it dry and then let the kids paint them. You could put the concrete in a shoe box lid to make your square. Have them do one foot at a time so that they are not putting their entire weight on the concrete. good luck

I think I would go with the homemade playdough, too. It's fun to add food coloring to it and make it colorful. For my sons' birthday party in January, we made green homemade playdough for a Shrek theme. I was surprised that the green washed right off. And it does harden. If you have access to an oven, you can bake it at 200 degrees for a faster hardening. Otherwise, it will take a while longer. That's a really cute idea, though - making footprints!

These are great ideas! I especially like the one of making sandals!
Or you could make tin can stilts.
Ask church members and the community to donate coffee cans (tuna cans for littler kids). Punch holes near the bottom of the can with a nail and hammer. Run jute twine (Wal-Mart hardware department) through the two holes and make a circle of twine long. Set the cans open side down on the ground, kids set their feet on the can and lift the twine so they can hold it while walking.
I still like the sandal idea for time and cost reasons!

I did this a couple of years ago for VBS. I recall using a kiddie pool with sand. The kids would make their footprint in the sand and we would then have one person in charge of mixing the plaster of paris and pouring it into the footprints. The kids would decorate with beads or what decorations we had out. They were left over night to completely dry. Many supplies can be donated.
Good Luck,
T. H, Raytown, MO

I have a craft book that suggests salted dough (it comes with a recipe) as a cheap alternative to P of P. It doesn't last "forever" like Plaster of Paris, but it can be easily painted and made with flour, water, salt, and cornstarch. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll scan the recipe and send it.
A.

1 / 3