Plantar's Warts on 2 Year Old's Feet

Hello Ladies:

When our youngest was 18 months, she developed a plantar's wart on the bottom of her little foot. I took her to our Ped and he said he could freeze them off, which would be rather barbaric and tramatizing, or I could try OTC wart remover pads. I tried the latter. He also advised that I clean her bathtub at least twice weekly with harsh chemicals (not the kid-friendly organic cleaners that I use). Now, 7 months later, the first wart is huge and she has developed another wart next to the first and a new one is starting on her other foot. I tried the wart pads, but they would never stay on the wart. I even tried several different brands hoping one would stick. I have also cleaned her bathtub twice weeley with Clorox Cleanup with bleach.

I am at a loss and really want to get rid of them. She is starting to complain that her shoes hurt her feet and she even tells me her warts hurt. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to remove these tough little buggers? My last resort will be to have her doctor freeze them off, but I am really hoping to find something less intrusive. Thanks in advance!!

R.

GREAT advice so far, ladies, thank you. I am going to try the duct tape tonight and will continue to welcome suggestions. I appreciate it!

Duct tape is interesting. If that doesn't work, you should go the freezing route. Please take into consideration where the warts are coming from. Someone has most likely brought them into the house and uses the shower. Get to the root of the problem so they don't keep coming back. Worse, you don't want the wart germs in the tub and then you daughter has contact in her private area on the tub floor. The virus could be easily transmitted in that way. If anyone takes showers in a gym setting, wear gym shoes. Even in a gym sauna.

Updated

My sister had plantar's warts and mom took her to a dermatologist and had them burnt off, twice. It didn't work either time. An older lady in our church found out about my sisters problems and suggested we try taking a raw potato, cutting it open and laying it on the areas where the warts are for 10 minutes, then, soak feet in a warm epsom salt bath for 10 minutes each night. After a week, they were gone. And, they never came back.

I'm know I"m a little late on this one, but I didn't see the original post or I would have chimed in then. My 5yo had a large plantars wart on her foot and our ped told us to use the duct tape method. Honestly the first few days were pretty gross, but within a week it was completely gone and looks like nothing was ever there! Who knew!

I may as well throw in a response here. I don't know if it works on planters warts but this is what we do. Don't laugh it really works! Put Dandelion juice on warts. The milk from breaking off the stalk. It will turn the wart black and it will go away. You must do it several times. I had the kids do it while they were out playing. They thought it was fun. I have done it many, many times on all my kids. So much less traumatic that burning and they get to pick flowers. Especially easy to do in the spring and summer of course. I know there is one kind of wart it doesn't work on just not sure which one that is.

I have found that freezing is the best option out there. Leaving them alone for two long makes them grow big and multiply...NOT fun! Now a key factor in planters warts is breathing. Make it so they can't breath. Duck take works well on small warts. Not sure how big the "big" one is on her foot but anything bigger then a pea needs to get frozen. But for the little ones cover with duck tape make sure skin is dry and stick it well and then leave it there for weeks. Don't replace unless you have to and if you do replace it very quickly. You want to starve them from breath. Sorry she has to go through this...and remember if you ever take her to a pool sandles always....ALWAYS she will be more likely to continue to get them the rest of her life

I had a few plantars warts. Previously the foot doctor would cut them out. So with my last one I was really not looking forward to having that done again. But now my podiatrist perscribed an anti-fungal medicine. Even with the medicine you have to go in every 3 weeks to have the dead stuff scraped off. The scraping is not painful or tramatizing at all. Took about 2 months for it to go away.

I've tried the duct tape and like someone else said, foot gets sweaty and duct tape doesn't stay in place. Didn't work.

Our pediatrician treated planter warts for both of my children with a topical liquid (stronger than Compound W and other OTC treatments). I followed the instructions and the wart came off in 14 days without incident. One of my girls needed a second treatment but we have been wart free for about 2 years. It was not a tramatizing experience. I would ask exactly what the process is for *freezing* the wart. Good luck!

**The topical treatment causes a blister to form within 24 hours and eventually falls off. Gross but effective.**

I had a planters wart on the bottom of my heel that started off being a little smaller than the size of a pea. I had it frozen several times with no effect. I put several diff. medicated creams and even some form of acid with no luck. The darn thing just kept growing! It got to be the size of a quarter and covered most of my entire heel!! I finally ended up driving an hour to see a specialist in dermatology who finally got rid of it after 5 laser surgeries!!! I don't want to scare you, but they will just keep growing. I'd do whatever you can now before it gets too big. It must be difficult with her only be two. Let us know it the duct tape works. I'm hoping it does. Good luck, my prayers are with you!

Wow, a lot of replies-and I'm going to add one more! My daughter has had a couple of warts, and we purchased an OTC wart remover. It was a liquid that you paint over the wart, and then we double dutied it with duct tape and a bandaid. We'd change the pads every day as everything got wet in the tub, and after a couple of weeks, we pulled the bandaid and tape off and the whole wart came out. It did leave a hole that bled for a bit, but it all healed up perfectly.

1 / 3