Planning on Adding a New Addition to Family - but What Breed?

I finally have decided to adopt a new pet. I want to get a small-med size dog. I already have a labrador and 2 kids so nothing big. I have thought about jack russells, beagles, boston terriers, puggles .. (that size). We need to find one that is good with children, good with other dogs, and one that would be a good walking partner for me. My husband says that I have to find one that is potty trained already. Any ideas? I have been visiting shelters but haven't found that "connection" yet, or I run into irrisistable puppies.. I have a son who crawls and eats everything on the floor so potty trained dog is a must..Does anyone have any suggestions on breeds or what to avoid.. any advice on picking out the perfect dog? I am all for labs..to me they are great but I was hoping for something a lil smaller to fit a little better in my house. Advise welcome!

Hi - I used to work for a pet food company, so have heard many stories about breeds and their habits. I agree with the previous poster about the sheltie. Sounds like it would be a good size for you, and they are wonderful with kids. Here is a link to Animal Planet's breed selector for specific breed info. Good luck!
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorinde...

We have a boxer and he is the sweetest, most gentle dog with our daughter, 14 months. He is considered medium sized (65 lbs) so may be bigger than what you want. We got him through Heart of Ohio Boxer Rescue. I can give you more info if you would like.

I would definitely not recommend Jack Russles or Boston Terriors. Our experience with those breeds is that they are very high strung. I know two people with Jack Russles and they are really smart, but they are crazy!

Beagles are great family dogs. They are good with kids and really gentle. They are great walking partners and walking them is actually good because they are hunting dogs by nature and need the workout. The down side is that they don't like being left at home, so if you work outside the home or are gone alot they get sad and bay until they get used to it. Other than that they are pretty fabulous.

We had a Lhasa Apsa (sp?) and he was good too. I talked to a breeder and he said they and Shitzu's are very calm and good with kids. Ours was great with our kids. The down side for them is that they have all that hair and you either have to brush them alot or keep them clipped pretty short.

Hope this helps and have fun finding your dog! =)

We are lab lovers too. Ours is a 60 lb. lab and something mix from a shelter. We are stuck on the breed, so you could try a mutt. My husband picked him out because when he went to the shelter, Quincy was in with the kittens and puppies (shelter was so crowded and he is so calm). It was feeding time and he was more interested in getting love than in eating. So my guess is that dinner time would be a good time to see how territorial they are with their food. I think that the connection will come!
And good for you for getting a shelter dog, the best there is!

I have a collie, and I cannot recommend this breed highly enough. What an amazing pet/protector/loving dog.
If this is too big, maybe consider a Sheltie?

ok.. Jack russels are for people who have a LOT of training time to spend with them and their hyperactivity.. Beagles, britany's, etc.. any hunting breed needs to be stimulated and walked... a LOT in order to get the exercise their metabilism and breeding require.. A shihtzu, bichon, etc. may be too small, so what about a lasha apso a good mixed breed of a med. hairy or fluffy dog would be ideal... however ANY dog you get WILL have accidents. even one that's been house trained for a long time before you had it.. Bottom line,, these dogs had a routine when they were with their LAST owners.. not with you.. It'll take a little while to establish a new routine with you,, but eventually the puddles will stop and everything wil be fine.. Just remember the puppy training thing,, even with an adult dog, and things will be fine.. If I were you I'd invest in a dirt devil spot steamer. It's made especially for house training pets and has a built in UV light to make sure the peepee is all cleaned up.

We have a Beagle. She is a really good dog. Beagles in general are stubborn, but the males are much worse than the females. She is wonderful with our daughter (21 months) and has been since we brought her home from the hospital. She is protective of the whole family and always wants to be with us. The biggest concern with Beagles is that their noses get them in trouble. If they can reach the food, they will eat it. Also, if they are outside and see/smell a rabbit or other animal, they will take off and will not listen to you calling them. You have to make sure they are either in a fenced in yard or on a good tie-down. She has gotten away from us a couple of times and we luckily got her back safely.

If you have any other Beagle questions, let me know!

S.,

When we wanted a new member of the family we FOSTERED a dog through Columbus Dog Connection. I'm sure there may be a similar website for where you live. We didn't want any pet who was unsafe for our children ... but strangely more important to us (does this make us horrible parents?) we wanted one who got along with our lab/newfie mix big guy Russell. He's a large black ominous dog who really is a marshmallow and quite a pushover. We needed a playmate who was not going to run him ragged.

By fostering a dog, you find out if you and your family are compatible BEFORE making a commitment and paying out any money and time and effort. You also do a great thing by taking care of a dog in need of love and a good home.

Four years ago we adopted Mr. Bear and he and Russell were great brothers. Both very sweet and loving. Mr. Bear passed away two years ago from cancer, but we loved him very much and he was the sweetest dog I've ever known. Well, after Russell of course.

Good luck to you

1 / 3