Plagiocephaly/Misshapen Head/Flat Head in Infant

Hi, just wondering if any mom's out there have had a child with plagiocephaly? I have a 8 month old son with severe plagiocephaly. I have heard of going to a chiropractor to help this problem. Just wondering if anyone has any good stories (or bad) about getting help from a chiropractor for a misshapen head. The other route is a helmet, which I am not a big fan of. Any help, advice, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes, I have a 6 mo old boy who is 3 weeks into the helmet. We tried the different avenues - physical therapy, a manipulative medicine doctor (deep tissue work) and were unable to get the necessary progress. I was 100% against the helmet, but in the end am glad we have one. In 3 weeks I have seen tremendous results. My son has torticollis as well which caused the plagio. His is moderate to severe...they say they think he'll only have 6-8 weeks in the helmet. It's a tough call, but you'll eventually know what to do. For me it was realizing that if I didn't do it now, I may regret it later. There is only a certain time frame in the kids for it to work. We used Cranial Technologies and they really helped me not be so nervous and realize that if not treated in some cases, it can cause issues for hearing, vision, sinus' etc. Good luck.xaaaz

You should look at the helmet. My niece used it and it works great!

Hi A....My son Timothy had plagiocephaly and torticollis. We started PT for his tort at 3 months, and he was banded with his DOC band at 4 months. He wore it from September and was out of it right before Christmas. He is now almost 2 and I love his little round head. We noticed the flatness, and protruding forehead at about 8 weeks, immediately started PT and consulted with Cranial Technologies about the DOC band. It was a blessing for us. I was proud of my little football player...he loved the attention he got, we placed stickers on his band and had his name on the front. I defintely think you should go visit Cranial Tech. Please feel free to email me with any questions. Also--visit the yahoo plagiocephaly group--

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Plagiocephaly/

THere is a wealth of info there--I still read the posts and answer questions periodically.

Banding is a short amount of time--for a perfect little head!

I've never heard of chiropractic for plagiocephaly, but have known several kids who had the Doc band helmet. The moms were more bothered by it than the kids! They all really helped, and in the end I think it's worth it. You can have some fun with it too - let friends and family sign it like a cast, put stickers on it - make the best of it! It will be over before long anyway, with lifelong benefits that far outweigh the brief inconvenience.

My niece is 7 months old and just wore a helmet for this problem. Her head has gone from being really flat in the back to being normal. She was uppose to wear it for 10 weeks and got it off early. I highly recommend this.

A helmet is best for your baby, look into Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics in Fort Worth Texas ###-###-#### they have the best results and they scan every visit to track the progress. They also file your insurance helmets are not cheep. If you have any more questions please email me or call me at ###-###-####.
Thanks,
Valerie

My daughter is currently in a DOC band through Cranial Technologies, and like the other responses you have received, Chiropracter is not the answer for head re-shaping. Where did you hear that? Anyway, it's probably a result of Torticollis, most common culprit. I can understand going to a chiropracter fot Tort, but usually your best bet is to do physical therapy for that, because tort. is the shorting of the neck muscle, and therapy will help stretch out the short muscle, Also have your peditrician write you a RX for the band. This will help get the insurance to cover the cost of the band, they run about 3,500.00 without insurance. I was fortunate enough to have Aetna, they are the best for covering things like this. United Healthcare is HORRIBLE! They will not cover this. (I think they should be reviewed) Cranial Technologies has the laser measurments now, so It's very quick to get your sons head measurments. My daughter had to go through the casting :-(. This is just a pebble in the path, you won't regret doing this for your son. Trust me, it bothers the parents more than it bothers the kids. Good Luck to you
A.

A. -
Our son had a slightly flat right back side of his head when he was 2 months old and still pretty obvious at 4 months - we had chiropractic recommended to us at the 2 month mark but didn't give it a shot. At 4 months, the pedi discovered it was actually that his left eye had a cataract so he was constantly rolling to the right to be able to see. That said, I wish we had seen the chiro sooner. We finally started seeing one because it was obvious that he was still having some head/neck issues from overcompensating with his right side. He is doing amazingly better - even his vision is improving under chiropractic care (something the ophthalmologist did not think was possible!!!!). (Well, chiropractic and the power of prayer anyway!) :)

If you want to consult with a chiropractor, I would highly recommend ours. He is in far north Flower Mound / Highland Village area - Drs. Darrell and Rachael Lomonaco. Their office number is ###-###-####.

Tell them S. sent you and that you want to consult about the head shape. They practice gentle (I mean, SUPER GENTLE) adjustments, not the rough stuff that many chiropractors do. I believe you will be blessed with the experience there.

1 / 3