Placenta Piggyback...JFF

Were you offered to look at your placenta after you delivered it? Did you look?
Did you do anything with it? (I don't want people to get blasted for answering this question, but I am curious. I know some cultures do various things with placenta...but again, don't want people to get blasted for being gross or weird so answer at your own risk)

ME: I was NOT offered to be shown my placenta. I did ask about it and asked to see it and the nurse brought it back for me. Not sure where it was - it was in a large bowl/tub when she brought it to me. I can't picture what it looked like, but I remember thinking it was interesting looking. I think the nurse and my husband were surprised I wanted to see it, and even though he doesn't have the strongest stomach, my husband looked at it too.

It is such an amazing moment to give birth to your baby and while some people might be "grossed out" by the placenta, I think it is just as interesting/amazing. After all, it was a major part of what nourished baby in utero and is pretty cool that our female body knows just what to do/produce to grow another human being :-)

Thanks for all the answers ladies! I was reading another post and was just struck with this question and thought to ask! I am quite interested in the body, medical things, science as well, so I will definitely ask for more of a "lesson" next time.

I definitely was distracted by DS as well, and I think it was when they were really cleaning him, measuring, temperature, and all the tests that they initially do that I got bored waiting and decided to ask :-P

I was actually surprised at how large it seemed. Very interesting to read everyone's experiences. Like I said above, I think it is kind of a cool thing to get a glimpse of what is/was inside of me, but like some others, I don't know if I really need to KEEP it, let alone put it back into my body. But don't hold anything against those who do! Thanks again, all! :-)

No , I was never offered but I would have gladly accepted a tutorial . I'm into stuff like that , though.

i didn't, but i wish i would have. i think taking it home and planting a new tree over it is an awesome idea. i'm with you, it's a fascinating, vital connection between mothers' bodies and their babies. kinda sad to think of it being discarded as 'medical waste'.
khairete

ROFLMAO...

Well...

"Hey! Check THIS out!" Was what I heard from my team.

And then began Phase 2 of the entire nursing staff coming in for a peek. (The first was my newborn holding his head up, looking around, and making eye contact & smiling. He was dubbed the 6mo old Newborn by my hospital. I was rather clueless at the time what the fuss was about.)

I was even more clueless about my placenta. Which my CNM held up and kinda walked around showing people.

Over 3' wide & over 20 pounds heavy.

(I lost 40 pounds the day my son was born. 10lbs of baby, 20+ of placenta, and amniotic fluid. It was the BEST feeling. Okay. Almost the best.)

I glanced at it. But was really beyond caring at that point. LOL... I JUST realized...Bet the OB part of my team was glad we didn't c-sect!!! That would have been a pain to extract!!!

_______

My CNM & OB weren't crossing any boundaries waving my biohazards around or inviting half the staff in. I was in premed/prenursing while pregnant, and a total sport about being show n tell for students & new grads (high risk pregnancy to see up close).

After 1,000,000 months pregnant (well it FEELS that way!), they were totally used to my "C'mon in!" attitude & wiseacre jokes.

It never even occurred to me to want to look.

With my first it was never offered at all. With my second I forgot and regretted it. With my third, when all was said and done, the midwife laid it all out and my 2 older kids as well as my husband and I got the most facinating lesson, showing how everything worked and everything. It was Amazing! We took some pictures of the placenta as well. I wish my husband had made a video of the midwife showing us, it really was the best! My boys got to learn so much that day and really enjoyed it. They asked so many questions. We have the placenta frozen still. We planned to plant it but we haven't been able to.

I didn't want to look, didn't need to. My baby was here, it served it's purpose. Honestly, I find eating it gross. We are humans. We are more evolved, and I don't want to take part in cannibalism. If someone else wants to, that's fine. I just don't believe in it for me. (And I don't even pretend to understand those that eat. I just agree to disagree!!)

My hubby was in the room and he checked it out first. I looked at it when I was a bit more "together" They had laid it flat on one of those little trays they use. It was very fascinating. It's a pretty amazing thing. I have a friend who had her kids at a birth center and they were able to take theirs home and plant it with a new tree for each child (she's very earth-mother ish :)

khairete

My doctor offered to show me mine after both births. He went over the anatomy of it and the cord, what does what and what he was checking and why. Very cool!

With my firstborn, I wasn't. The doctor didn't ask. He just flopped it up on my stomach and starting stretching it all out showing it to me. I was in shock about it I guess. I don't have a weak stomach, and yes it was interesting, but ewww I don't ever want to see another one, ya know?

The reason my doctor did this (he explained it at the time, but it was still pretty out of left field for me) was because I had a "bi-lobed" placenta. It was really kinda cool. I was not aware of it at the time, but apparently bi-lobed placentas often tear and it is dangerously important to ensure that the entire thing is discharged (obviously with any delivery, the entire placenta has to come out and if it doesn't you can have serious bleeding complications and infection, etc---but the bi-lobed thing makes it much more likely to tear and NOT all come out).
Mine not only all came out, but was intact. So he was pretty interesting in "showing it off", not only to me, but the nurses that were present as well.

No, we didn't do anything with it. It was just medical waste after show and tell was over.

With my daughter, I don't recall it even being mentioned. But, it was the same doctor, so perhaps he knew I had been there and done that with one far more interesting than "the usual". ha ha

FWIW, it reminded me of a big cow liver. And it was HEAVY. Good grief that thing was heavy---like a slab of meat. :(

1 / 3