Pit Bull and Baby?

Hey ladies,

First off, i am not a dog person. I did not grow up with dogs and i would probably say was always told to stay away from the scary ones. So my in-laws lost their dog about two months ago, and adopted a pitbull mix from the pound yesterday. My husband loves dogs so we went over to say hello to the new dog, it seems nice enough.

Fastfoward, i am talking to my mother, a big anti baby and dog person. When i told her they got a pitbull mix she almost fell out of her chair. She then went on to say that the baby won't be safe in their house etc.

Is my mom right (she is overly cautious on many things) or was it inconsiderate of my in-laws to get such a dog. We live about five minutes from them, and we are over there enough that they will see the baby a few times a week.

I know this issue will only cause more issues once the baby is here....she is arriving late September!! Now i feel weird about the situation, when i didn't really even think about it until my mother brought it up.

mother knows best? or not?? hummmm!

weirdly enough, they had to bring the dog back to the shelter. The dog was aggressive towards my husbands father. So, maybe they realized it wouldn't have worked out.

phew!

A baby should NEVER be left unsupervised with a dog. EVER. Pitbull, pug, lab, yorkie. Doesn't matter. It's not worth the risk. Just use baby gates to gate the dog off when the baby is over and be cautious. It's not worth the risk and dogs react differently to babies.

I would not trust my baby around the dog. A dog can be trained to be obedient, but it's part of a pit-bull's blood line to just be agressive. The baby might walk on it's toes or might scream loud or anything to set the dog off. If I were you, I would be overly cautious when you are over there. Perhaps the dog needs to go outside when you and baby are over there, ESPECIALLY when baby starts crawling and walking.

I have grown up with pit bulls, and would love to have one now if i had the room. the ones i had were the sweetest dogs you could ever ask for, a little dumb but sweet. my brother has one and when my son was 6 months old i had no problem taking my son over where he would pull on the dog and never once did the dog growl or show any aggression. all he did was lick. i think its sad that these beautiful dogs have such a bad rap when ANY breed can be aggressive. my son who is now 5 is terrified of my MIL little shi tsu (sp) because it bit him for no reason and he needed stitches in his leg. yet he loves going to my brother to play with his 65lbs pit bull.

Well i would never get a pit bull , certainly not if i had a 1- newborn , or 2-toddler , running around(which im about to have on the first account, and already do on the second)

I know pit bulls being "dangerous and surprisingly violent after years of normalcy" is supposed to be an untrue stereotype. But some stereotypes have solids roots in absolute truths and examples. This i believe is one of them.

Jeez, I've read soooo many horror stories about pits and pit mixes in our local papers ... you know, "was the sweetest dog, a family dog, never hurt a fly" ... then it attacks/maims/kills the child in the family. One recent article told of a dad who ran back inside his house for literally 30 seconds and left his little guy w/ the family pit; when he returned 30 seconds later the dog had the little boy in a death grip and the little one died. Unfortunately, these stories are not uncommon. And they don't just attack children, they also attack other dogs.

When you read these articles the apologists come out -- it wasn't socialized properly, it's bad owners not a bad dog -- yada yada yada.

No thanks. There is not enough money in this world that would make me bring that breed of a dog into my house. And yes, I'm a dog lover and have owned dogs my entire life.

Reading the responses here sounds like some people won't agree with me. But our local Orange County Shelter is filled with predominantly pits/pit mixes/and chihuahuas (also aggressive little buggers). They are there for a reason and I'd be willing to guess that most of them are there due to aggression.

I would not leave a baby with ANY dog unsupervised. I once read a story about a cocker spaniel (oh so cute, right?) puppy about 11 months old attacked a baby when the mom stepped out of the room. No one knew why, maybe the puppy wanted to play. Then again, I have a friend that has a German Shepard and her mom has a Rottweiler. Both dogs are awesome and protective of her toddler. But she never left the baby with them alone. We just got a cattle dog/rott mix though she looks more like a Rottweiler. I am due in November when the puppy will be 4 1/2 months old so she will be a bit bigger of course. I told my husband that in no way at all is the baby to be left alone in the room with the dog. I totally believe that it is the person not the dog but when it comes to safety, you have to go on the side of extra precautions.

American pit bulls are dangerous and have been banned in some areas of the world because of their aggressive tendencies. I would not feel at all OK about a child being near one. Even if it's usually the most placid, loving dog, it is still an unpredictable animal bred for attack, and can snap. Your MIL probably didn't realise this and I wouldn't assume she's being inconsiderate, just naive.

I'm not just talking about pit bulls...I'm talking about ANY/ALL breeds...I don't think even the nicest most cuddly dog can ever be completely trusted, especially around a baby. A dog can be having a bad day, be not feeling well, be confused, or can startle at a strange noise or quick movement by someone, when one is least suspecting it. We used to have the sweetest dog, and people would ask me how the dog liked the baby and would they cuddle and play. Absolutely not! And I never had the baby crawling around on the floor near the dog. We don't know what animals are thinking, and we've all heard of even the sweetest dogs turning on people.

Each dog breed, has their own intrinsic characteristics and personality.
Coupled with, how the dog is trained and handled.

Some dogs, like people, are not kid friendly.
Some are.
It is per the breed and the disposition of the dog.

Some dogs, do NOT like, babies/kids... because babies/kids/toddlers, make noises and make unpredictable movements.

In my State, many people have gotten attacked/mauled by pit-bulls.
Who knows, how the owner's trained their dogs.
That is an unknown.

In any event, do not ever, leave any pet, unsupervised when your baby or child is there.
Kids, can also irk dogs and swat the dog or mishandle a dog. Because kids do not have, impulse control nor do they know how to handle a pet. Any pet. Even a cat, can scratch. If a kid, provokes them or 'threatens' them.

A dog, also bonds with people, differently. Or not.

Now, I would never leave my baby, on the floor playing, while the dog is there. It takes a split second, for any animal, to do anything.
An infant anyway, will probably be held, by the adult. Always.

1 / 3