Pink Shirt Faded on White Shorts - Any Way to Remove?

We took my daughter to play at a restaurant where they also have rides & activities outside. It was hot, so she wore a pink tank top (that had been washed several times) & white shorts with colored sea animals on them. They had a thing outside where the kids can run & play in water fountains coming up from the sidewalk. After getting wet, we noticed the pink shirt had started fading on the white shorts. I tried to wash the shorts as soon as we got home with stain stuff, but the pink is still there. I let it air dry because I've heard that heat from the dryer will make most stains permanent. Is there anything I can soak the shorts in to get the pink out? Is there a website or another good (free if possible!) source for laundry stain tips? I just put up another post about mildew stains. Goodness gracious - what next??? :p

I would throw it in a white load with bleach and hot water ( That's how I always wash my whites. I have found that most whites that have some color deco on them, withstand the bleach white well! You have nothing to lose since the shorts are ruined anyway! Good luck!

I had the very same thing happen last month.
Tried Oxyclean...did not work.

Try Rit Color Remover. Only soak for about an hour. This will take out the pink!! I even put a polo shirt in and the polo part stayed navy. Just do not leave your clothes in it for more than an hour or so....

-D.

Oxyclean usually works for me. Just be sure to use very hot water and let it soak for a couple of days. If that doesn't work you can try soaking in hot water with about a teaspoon or so of bleach, and soak for a couple of days.

I prefer using Oxyclean over bleach whenever possible because the fumes from the bleach give me a huge headache. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Soak the shorts in Clorox2, for a day or two. If that doesn't get it, you will have pink shorts! It will work on mildew, too.

Hi B.,

I have also experienced the same thing. Here is what works for me...

I would use one of the Clorox "pens" to bleach out the pink on the white shorts. These "pens" have a fat tip and a narrow tip. I use these pens frequently to spot treat stains on white items that also have color decorations on them. Let the bleach sit for a little while and then wash as usual. Just be careful to not let the treated bleach areas to touch anything with color.

I have three kids (8, 4, and almost 8 months) so I deal with whites all the time and always have great success. I have never had any clothing item yellow since I am very experienced with treating items with bleach.

Hope this helps!

I would try oxiclean and let it soak over night. It would not hurt to put other whites in also.

I accidentally threw in a dark hot pink tank with my lights. My very favorite pair of kahki shorts ended up stained. I still wore them like this since it was up at the top and not all that noticable (washing and drying). A year later, my mom managed to get it out by soaking them for 24 hours in a small amount of hot water with two full scoops of Oxyclean. I couldn't believe it. I tried this recently with something of my daughter's (green stain). It lightened it up a lot but didn't get it all out. It's certainly worth a try.

Too much bleach could yellow the white, but I would try pouring alittle bleach into the water of the wash and then after it mixes in with the water - put the shorts in. You could try it a couple of times.

1 / 3