Pink Eye at Sitters! Contagious??

3 yr old at sitters has pink eye..was told hes on a antibiot. and his mom kept him home today but hes coming tomorrow..
is it contag. if hes on meds for it???

I believe the rule is that they're no longer contagious if they're on antibiotics for 24 hours. You should be able to contact your pediatrician or pharmacist to be sure. Also, don't be afraid to ask your sitter what she did to decontaminate all the toys and such. Chances are your child has already been exposed though. Generally speaking, we are contagious before we show symptoms of any infection.

If he takes medication for 24 hrs it should be okay.. Make sure that the sitter has cleaned all the toys and make sure you guys wash your hands religiously..

My daughter had pink eye a few months ago. I was told by her Dr that after 24 hours on an antibiotic it is ok to be around others. Her friend at school had it at the same time as her and was told the same thing by her doctor also.

Just went through this - 24hrs after meds have been taken the 3 yr old will not be contagious.

As long as he's been on the meds for 24 hours, he's no longer considered contageous. However, you need to be certain that the sitter has cleaned VERY THOROUGHLY to keep it from spreading. Good luck!

I believe after 24 hours on medication he should be okay but I would call your ped and see what they say. They may suggest you keep your kid(s) out for an additional day incase he comes back and is still contagious. I would think your provider would not let him back until he's better, but sometimes you never know...especially if the provider goes on the word of the parents...not saying the parents would lie...just a thought!

VERY contagious, however easily treated with Rx drops and not contagious after 24 hours of starting the drops.

I've had pink eye in my daycare and only 2 kids got it, but you have to be diligent about hand washing and disinfecting everything since kids rub their eyes and touch everything. There's a chance that even if the child isn't contagious anymore, that your kiddo will still get it... unless the sitter is on top of the cleaning.

Supposedly not if on antibiotic for 24 hrs.

I think you could still say, "Let's catch up some other time." If you're not feeling ok about having him over.

My friends and I always have agreed to keep our cooties to ourselves. So there's no shame in pushing a playdate off for another day/week.

Now if's it's at your babysitter's house, she should have some rules about fevers and contagious conditions. Most daycares let kids back after 24 hrs on an antibiotic or fever/diarrhea free.

1 / 3