Pin Worms!

My 3 year old daughter has been complaining of itching in her anal area and also pain when she poops. My husband took her to the doctor today, and she said my daughter may have pin worms. - we will find out tomorrow for sure. There are one or two other things that could be causing these symptoms, but I'd appreciate advice or comments from anyone who has had experience with pin worms in their own family.

My daughter had this problem. I think she was wiping after BMs herself and not doing perfectly and was causing itching.

My mom was a preschool teacher and unfortunately had them a lot, so I had them as a child often. You'll want to wash all the sheets and bedding in your home in very hot water to make sure all the eggs are killed, because the laying of eggs does happen at night. The medicine should knock it out quickly, but in the process, try to watch your daughter and make sure she's washing her hands constantly since I'm sure she's scratching a lot.

My son was having problems pooping. His bum was itchy and would bleed after pooping. It turned out he had a strep infection in his bum. I never knew you could get strep there. If it is pin worms, don't think too much about it. If that is the worse thing that happens to her during her toddler years, you are lucky!! My 4 yo has had a surgery and a few trips to the ER.

My stepdaughter had them about 2 yrs ago. They are no big deal. She took this over the counter liquid and they disappeared within days.

Hi, A..

I had pin worms a few times as a child... there was one bad summer.... all my friends had it, as well. From your child's perspective, I feel for her... I remember the discomfort well. It kind of feels like a yeast infection... but in the anal area... and no secretions. As I recall, I believe the worms are super tiny... so you will probably not notice them when they pass... but I could be wrong about that... it was so long ago and I was little.

The reason: we were eating dirt, sand and grass... I know that sounds crazy. Our parents all kept very clean homes, etc... we washed hands before eating and after using the toliet. They couldn't figure out how it was happening. But, we had active imaginations and would play games, make potions, etc... our parents had no idea when they saw us playing that we were actually eating our concoctions!!!!!

Dear A.,
My children's pediatrician told me when my children were young that 50% of all kids get pinworms!!! That was great comfort to me when he told me that all four of them had them (pinworms, that is).
FYI: One dose of medicine is all that is necessary to eliminate them from the body!
Blessings!

LOL Don't freak out :) Kids get them repeatly it seems...easy to get rid of.

my children caught them from another child who would drop her pacifier in the dirt, then put it into her mouth! She was always coming down with them. Eventually her parents treated the yard with lime, since pets can cause the cycle to keep on going, but the lime seemed to deter them.
As for your daughter, just follow the directions to the letter with the medicine and then you have to do all that washing and vacuuming....aarrgghh...like we arent busy enough!
My husband was deployed when we went through our little saga, so I was letting the girls get into bed with me, which meant....you guessed it.....the passed them on to me! It was not fun at all, BTW. You can soothe the itching by applying witch hazel on a cotton pad and holding on her skin. Also..I had lots of stomach discomfort as well....maybe some of it was nerves since I was kinda freaked out by the whole thing! Just make sure you take that washing and vacuuming seriously. I had to retreat all over again because I didn't do my son's room thoroughly enough(he wasn't infected)...but my girls were in there and the eggs can become airborne and stick to anything, so I also recommed dusting w/ furniture polish.

Just know that many moms have been in your shoes, make sure you explain to your daughter the importance of washing her hands, especially before eating, hot water w/ soap. And be careful...you can also pick this up from her, so keep that in mind when cleaning up your home or wiping her.
Good luck to you,

1 / 3