Pierced Ears and Soccer

My daugher got her ears pierced over the weekend and her soccer league does not allow any jewelry. I have to take out her ear rings for games. Is this okay, they won't close in that short of time would they? They will not let her play if I put tape over her ears, if I put tape on her ears they will not let her play.

I am a soccer coach for a local club who has the same policy - no jewelery. I hope everyone realizes that this generally is not a coaches decision, but a clubs decision and it is meant to keep everyone safer. I played soccer for many years, as well as coach - and totally understand this policy - could you imagine getting hit in the head with the ball and the back of the earring getting poked in the head?

It's unfortunate that you were not aware of this policy prior to getting her ears pierced. I remember having to really plan out when to have my daughters ears pierced in between sports - and still had it closer than recommended.

Like someone else said, everyone is different and when I asked the people who pierced her ears about how fast they would close up - they commented that everyone is different, but some do close very quickly. I would suggest that you take them out right before she gets on the field, have cleaning solution with you and put them back in as soon as the game is over. I would suggest maybe talking to her and explaining the situation to her so she is well aware and maybe letting her know that if they happen to close up (as that's a possability) that you will get them re-pierced when the season is over.

I'm coaching my son's soccer team this year and we have a little girl in the same situation. She either has to wear bandages on her ears or use a wide cloth headband to cover them. She usually just wears the headband and then it keeps her bangs out of her face anyway. I wouldn't take them out. Not only could they close up, but handling them so much might cause an infection or make it really irritated.

They shouldn't close. Some stores have tiny plastic, clear spacers that you can put in for games.

I am one of those old relics that doesn't have pierced ears, so this may be totally off the wall....I wonder if it would work if you thread s piece of CLEAN fishing line through the wholes, tie it off into a circle...so it doenst come out ( you can clip it when you are ready to remove it) and cover THAT with a piece of tape or something that the coach would approve of?? That would keep the hole open during practice and the games but she would be obeying the league rules.
I know it probably seems like a silly rule to you but two of our girls were very actively involved in fast pitch softball and I have seen injuries due to jewelry.
Hope you come up with a workable solution.

I agree with Vicki S. It seems the potential for infection is the bigger risk here. The headband idea seems a great alternative, if your coach is willing to be just a bit more open-minded. Of course, it might not be his/her call to make. Good luck to you.

Ask her coach if you can put tape over them for now. I coached girls basketball for 6 years and our refs always allowed the girls to put tape (athletic tape) over the earrings so others did not get hurt.

Hi B., Have you asked about putting Band-Aids over the ear rings? When my sisters were in soccer if one of the girls got their ears peirced and it was during the time when you couldn't take them out the league would allow them to take Band-Aids and put them over their ear lobes, front and back. It was usually one band-aid wrapped around the ear lobe. They look a little goofy, but it worked.

Be glad they told you ahead of time. Our coach didn't inform us of this. When I got to the game one Sat. (I had to work so wan't there when game started) the ref had ripped my daughter's ear rings out since dd didn't know how to take them out. She said that they shouldn't have been in any way, tough luck. Said the alternative was to ban her from playing for the season. Needless to say, we don't play soccer any more.

1 / 3