Picking up Kid Early from Kindergarten

Hi all,

our almost 6 year old daughter (October birthday) is about to start kindergarten. State of Ohio requires 12.5 hrs of kindergarten instruction... Yet in our school district (Columbus) full time attendance is required (9am -3:30pm)...Has anyone had any experience with transitioning your kid to kindergarten by picking them up early (say noon) for a few weeks or months?

Filled by anxiety of course, I don't know if my kid can handle 6 hrs of kindergarten every day. Currently she is in part time preschool (3 hrs 3 days a week) and with grandparents at other times while I work. She has a speech delay for which we are doing speech therapy and she is catching up quite nicely, about 80 percent there. She is tall and almost 6 as it is, so I don't think that holding her back another year is a good idea. She is an active kid with normal fine and gross motor skills, a bit of a free spirit, prefers activities to books, is neither quiet or temperamental. When tired or upset she looses interest in things although may appear as if she's paying attention. Basically, I don't want her to get frustrated with school if it's too much too soon, and want to see if there is an option of stepping up the dosage gradually, so to speak...

Any shared experiences on customizing full time kindergarten schedule is appreciated.

Ladies. Seriously. Can someone actually share an experience, rather than an opinion? Has anyone been able to negotiate something with the administration on nice friendly terms? I did hear of a friend of a friend who did, so obviously there are people out there who do it. Obviously I wouldn't do this without administration's awareness and acceptance under either some law or some form of negotiated agreement. And I wouldn't even do this if I see that she's actually OK. I am just trying to do research early. Please, any real experience?

I would let her try it first before you start worrying about it. If she really cannot handle it then address it. Maybe you could pick her up early a couple of days a week or something. Whatever you do, do not let her know that you feel this way. It could be a self fullfilling prophecy.

The full day kindergarten is not all sitting like the older grades. they have snack times, rest times, play times etc all built in. she will be fine. especially if she is almost 6. at 6 most kids are starting 1st grade.

Oh it's sooo scary my baby is growing up!!! I hear ya, been there 4 times.
She'll be fine Kindergarten teachers know how to keep kids busy and have fun and learn.

Really? Your daughter will feel so left out if you pick her up early! She will be 6 in october she will be fine! My daughter truned 5 the week before kindergarten and did fine for a full day! Also I'm sure the school will have trouble with you picking her up early..

Don't overprotect her. It will inadvertently give her the message that she isn't capable. She is quite old enough to handle 6 hours at school, even with a speech delay, since she is almost 6.

in most districts, kindergarten(or enrolling in school altogether, such as homeschooling) is not required by law, but once you DO enroll, you are held to attendance standards. i think it would be academically disastrous, as well as very disruptive to the class, to pick your daughter up early for weeks/months, and the school would prob not allow it. if you are that concerned, look into a half day private kinder program - there are typically a lot of church based half day programs. kinder teachers are VERY much accustomed to short attention spans, they all have short attention spans at 5 years old :)

The only experience that I have is the fact that I had some of the same concerns you have. My daughter attended 1/2 day preschool 3 days a week before going to full time kindergarten also. I was worried, just like you are, that she would have a hard time with the fulltime thing. She did totally fine. She had an AWESOME teacher and did fabulous. My nerves were just mommy nerves and my baby starting kindergarten....probably a lot of what yours are. :0)

Kindergarten is a lot of play learning and your daughter may feel left out if she has to leave early. Also, another thing to check with the school about....if she does not get the required hours they my hold her back and not allow her to go into 1st grade....you do NOT want this.

Let her start out fulltime, and give it enough time for her, and you, to actually adjust. If it is just not working out then meet with the teacher and school counselor and go from there. :o)

Good luck!! First day of kindergarten is HARD.....more on the mommies than on the kiddos.

We all worry mom but she will be fine! And you won't do her any favors by picking her up early for a "few weeks or months". I guarantee you'll get pulled into the principal's office for a conference for your child missing school so much.

They structure the children's day so that they are busy all day. The time will fly for your daughter. They don't stay on any one thing for too long in keeping with their attention spans. They break up the tasks/subjects. Like at my son's school they would have math after play or lunch time so that they were fresh to tackle a more challenging subject.

If you are anxious about the transition so will she. Don't show this to her. Be happy for her. Be excited for this whole new world for her. Tell her that. Tell her all the great things that are to come with this new school year.

I personally feel you should let the school work with her. You will probably be amazed at what she learns in Kindergarten. I don't know how it is in your state but by the first marking period kids need to know all letters and their sounds extremely well. And by the next marking period they are reading. So attendance is important. My daughter went from preschool 4 days a week for 3 hours to full day Kindergarten 5 days a week and coped really well. She did not have any delays holding her back but she was one of the youngest in her class. She finished the year as one of the top students for her class.

I think you should let the school handle it. Oh and Kindergarten is still a lot of hands on learning with centers, singing and dancing. Or at least it was for my daughter.

We are Columbus schools, too. I can relate to being nervous about full day K, though I don’t have any experience with picking up early.

My son didn't go to preschool but was in full day home childcare with a couple other kids the same age. With our school, K started a week or two after the 1st – 5th graders had gone back. There were also staggered days so for the first week it wasn’t 5 days of 9-3:30. There was an adjustment period for DS and first day of K is tough anyways :-( Maybe even more for mom/dad, though, LOL!

He did great though. They had naps and 3 recesses - morning, lunch, afternoon. I feel my son’s teachers were really good at helping the kids adjust and I believe would have quickly informed us had there been a problem. Parents are encouraged to ask questions and we have always scheduled the Parent/Teacher conference so that we could talk to the teacher and get a stronger feel (than just his report card) for how he was doing. I also believe had there been a problem that they would have worked with us.

Definitely check with your school about their attendance rules. I saw one post about even being able to take them after attendance check – I think Columbus may be much stricter on this and her attendance would be affected.

Has she already had an evaluation with her teacher? If not, that would be a great time to ask about it too. Our school has parent consultants; you may want to see if yours does, too - very valuable source to answer questions, get info, etc. You could also ask about being a teacher's helper if your schedule allows; though she may also do better without you there. With our son I think he actually did better without us being there though I was able to get off work to go help with the Winter Party and Valentine's Party and I also went on the field trip to the zoo.

I hope this helps; please PM if you'd like more info.

1 / 3