Picking a Pump

I am currently pregnant with number two and i really want to try and breastfeed for longer then a week, like with my daughter. Due to my c-section and she was in the hospital. But I'm worried for when I go back to work. I want to make sure I have the right pump and which one everyone has tried. I see so many different brands out there and I pumped for my daughter I just don't feel comfortable going back to that same pump. Does anyone have brand they prefer. We were thinking about one that you can put it directly into the bottle so you have less of a transfer. I just need some women's opinion on which is better. My family and my hubby's aren't any help. They either nursed or bottle fed and didn't have to worry about working, or if they worked they bottle fed.

I just wanted to thank all you mom's for you advice. We aren't totally sure which one we are going to go with but atleast I have a better idea now. We are also going to go see a lc and see what they recommend for me as well. We also just found out on wensday that we are having another girl. Thank you again.

Thats so exciting you are going to breastfeed this time around! I would reccomend the Medela pump. It'S A electric double breasted pump and has been my life savor over the last six months. It's so easy to use and pumps milk very quickly. one more quick thing when you get sore from the baby sucking you should try a product called Lansinoh it helped so much. Dont give up it's so WORTH IT...

I have used a few different kinds, but I like Medela best. I would suggest you not skimp if you are planning on working and pumping for a long time. The money will be well worth it and it will help make a difficult thing a little easier if you have a powerful electric pump.

I agree with almost everyone! The Medela brand is the best. I used the double pump for my first two babies, then with my third the motor went out(only because milk backed up into it) I then only bought the single pump and I LOVED both of them. I work in a hospital so I got to use the hospital one while at work and they are very similar. If you can rent a hospital grade one, I would do that, but Medela is the next best thing.

I had twins last year and I also had to have a c-section. I used a Medela pump in the Hospital and continued to for the first eight months. I know how hard it is to get started, I kept at it and I was able to both breast feed and bottle feed each day. I supplemented with formula for the breast milk I couldn't produce. But my doctor assured me that even just nursing once or twice a day can help with the babies immunities and lesson their chance of getting sick. Good luck

Everything I have heard/read makes me think Medela is the best brand (may have spelled it wrong). I used it when I went back to work and did it for a year with pretty good results. You can pump right into bottles, but I still ended up putting it in the Gerber bags so you can freeze it. Good luck.

I had the same issues. I think the most important part for me was getting an electric dual pump. When I was at work it would only take 10 minutes and I was done. I used the medela double electric pump. It attaches to most regular bottles so you don't have to transfer but it won't fit the wide mouth bottles. It is easy and quick. I was able to nurse my second and third children for a year using this same pump! Good luck!

I was only able to nurse my 1st born for 2 months due to a really bad sinus infection (and the types of medicine that I had to take). Then- I used a $30- $40 pump I purchased from Target....... I HATED that pump, it hurt and made me sore, it was very uncomfortable. With my 2nd I was able to nurse for 13 months.... and loved the pump I purchased. It was a Medela Advanced Pump In Style. This pump even has a let down feature to simulate as if you were nursing. Needless to say It was quite a bit more spendy. The price can range from $250 -$325 depending on where you buy it. But From my personal experience it was, has been and is worth every single penny we paid. This pump comes with a ice pack and storage container for your milk ( if pumping at work or on the road) It also had 4 bottles that fit into the storage container ( and the ice pack is made of a hard plastic that is formed to give each bottle it's own slot in the storage container.).Now I am using my pump with our 3rd child. And I still love it! You can even purchase a car plug in so that if you are traveling ( which we do a lot ) you can pump in the car. Talk about convenient! Anyway I really hope that this has helped some. If you have any questions about the pump please don't hesitate to e-mail me, I'd be happy to answer any questions I could help you with. Also this pump has new freezer bags that have a double zip feature (they are nice ) and you can pump both breast at the same time , which is nice if you have to pump at work. you have the choice to pump directly into the bottle or into the freezer bag.

I had read the other response and thought I'd let you know that I never had problems with milk going into my tubing. The hospital told me that if that ever happened you just pour rubbing alcohol in each tube and let them dry out. The alcohol sterilizes the tube.

If you can afford it, try renting one from Airway Oxygen or other medical supply place. The milk goes directly in the bottle and they are industrial-strength, like the kind you use in a hospital. I don't know how much they cost because my insurance paid for mine, but I do know you can rent them by the month.

I used a Whittlestoen to induce lactation for my adopted son ( I had breastfed my 5 bio kids, but had not nursed for 8 years prior to his adoption) This was very successful for me.

Best wishes,
E. in Wi

Hi J., Congratulations on the coming new baby! I used a Medela Electric Pump, but cant remember which model exactly that it was. It was a double pumper and it worked really fast and well. Do you have WIC (women, infants & Children) in your area? Because if you meet certain criteria they will lend you an electric pump and give you advice on storing, best foods to eat etc. Also you can rent one from your hospital which i did and it was pretty reasonably priced. I pumped for 6 months with my last child and it worked really well, i took my pump to work with me, which your boss is required by law to allow you to take the time to do it, i did mine on breaks. It is a commitment, but so worthwhile if hell on the old boobs lol!!! But it is such a good feeling to be able to offer your baby such a good start in life, and the benefits it gives far outweighs the inconvenience. You are doing a wonderful thing.
Good luck and God Bless you and your family!
Shane

1 / 3